What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bears

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
Same colors? Bear mascot, i see no difference here... having a Sydney based junior presence would help tremendously for Adelaide, its not like the current rams are setting the world on fire, the Bears just need a viable locality, and being interstate will automatically give them that, @AdelaideSharky is kidding himself if he isn't going to watch the Bears vs Storm (or whoever) in Adelaide, and besides its not a relocation if realistically they don't even have a 1st grade license...
I probably would but Cronulla would still be my main club.

Pretty much what I do now with football, I'm a Reds member but when Sydney FC are in town I sit with the away fans.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sorry to burst your bubble but I honestly can't see an NRL team working here, not now or ever.

AFL is deeply ingrained in the psyche of this city to the point of it being a near religion.

Plus unlike Perth we don't have the big expat population from the east or from Northern England.

Tbh our domestic rugby union competition dwarfs our RL comp.

16 clubs in union to league's 5.

If football and basketball which have been here for decades can't get much print time or air time in our media how do you think the NRL will go?

All the Rams had back in the 90's was that pissy small page in the back of the sports section of the Advertiser.
How do you explain the rams decent crowds and the decent turn out for roosters games in more recent years?

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
How do you explain the rams decent crowds and the decent turn out for roosters games in more recent years?
The Rams crowds in the early days was down to the curiousity factor.

Same thing with the Roosters games.

I went to the latter purely for my RL fix but those who weren't interstate expats like myself purely went out of curiousity.

The last game Easts played here I enjoyed as a fan of the game but any who went out of curiousity wouldn't have enjoyed it.

Defensive slog that night in wet conditions.

Same colors? Bear mascot, i see no difference here... having a Sydney based junior presence would help tremendously for Adelaide, its not like the current rams are setting the world on fire, the Bears just need a viable locality, and being interstate will automatically give them that, @AdelaideSharky is kidding himself if he isn't going to watch the Bears vs Storm (or whoever) in Adelaide, and besides its not a relocation if realistically they don't even have a 1st grade license...
Mate, give it up. No one outside of North Sydney gives a f**k about The Bears. The world doesn't begin and end in Greater Sydney.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I honestly can't see an NRL team working here, not now or ever.

AFL is deeply ingrained in the psyche of this city to the point of it being a near religion.

Plus unlike Perth we don't have the big expat population from the east or from Northern England.

If football and basketball which have been here for decades can't get much print time or air time in our media how do you think the NRL will go?

All the Rams had back in the 90's was that pissy small page in the back of the sports section of the Advertiser.
People said that about Melbourne. Look at them now.

Rams drew better crowds than The Sharks in 1997. Cronulla made the grand final that year.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
People said that about Melbourne. Look at them now.

Rams drew better crowds than The Sharks in 1997. Cronulla made the grand final that year.

You seem to have a serious psychotic hatred towards Cronulla.

To half quote Michael Jordan's 80's McDonald's ad, Stop it get some help.

You seriously judge us on crowds during one of the darkest years in the game's history?

You're an even bigger moron than I originally thought.

Everyone had shit crowds in 1997 you complete and utter cockwomble.

Remember the thing called the ARL/Super League War?

The Rams average figure that year was inflated by the crowd in their first game against the Hunter Mariners.

Melbourne is a completely different market to us so comparing Adelaide to Melbourne is moronic.

Melbourne had the eastern expat and Kiwi population to give them a head start something we don't have here.

MugaB

Coach
You seem to have a serious psychotic hatred towards Cronulla.

To half quote Michael Jordan's 80's McDonald's ad, Stop it get some help.

You seriously judge us on crowds during one of the darkest years in the game's history?

You're an even bigger moron than I originally thought.

Everyone had shit crowds in 1997 you complete and utter cockwomble.

Remember the thing called the ARL/Super League War?

The Rams average figure that year was inflated by the crowd in their first game against the Hunter Mariners.

Melbourne is a completely different market to us so comparing Adelaide to Melbourne is moronic.

Melbourne had the eastern expat and Kiwi population to give them a head start something we don't have here.
But but but crowz man, figures are proven...
Please... everytime there's some argument or re-envisioning of booting clubs out of the comp, ALF tables crowds gets linked... and its the same ol shit... you don't deserve licence, well reality is no club is going no where, not while Abdo or PvL or Politis have there prints on the game... so get used it.. All you can look forward to is more expansion, regardless of who's club is going badly

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
but this is the argument all anti-expansionist use - no point having Perth or Adelaide cause they already failed (during super league) yet this same reason is ok for Sydney teams who struggled during that period LOL such double standards
Who said I was an anti expansionist?

I'm all for expansion but nobody should be removed or relocated American style to achieve it.

MugaB

Coach
but this is the argument all anti-expansionist use - no point having Perth or Adelaide cause they already failed (during super league) yet this same reason is ok for Sydney teams who struggled during that period LOL such double standards
Its actually the other way around, most ""EXPANSIONISTS"" (if that claim actually exists to call themselves, but really its about rationalization of heartland then expanding)
are always flaunting historical figures of crowds forgetting that most expansion teams are always going to see higher crowds figures since they aren't close to any other team, hence they would have a region to themselves, not sharing it with a nearby team from the same region.. i for one am a big believer of expansion, and see myself as a true expansionist, or one who values expansion, but to follow it, you can't cull any of the current 16 teams to do it, expansion is about adding to the competition, all the fkwitz that spurt any inkling of culling teams or even relocating current brands aren't expansionists, they are are Rationalists... and if you believe in that, you may go and fk right off

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

I'd be interested to hear your opinion as a local.... how do you think this will differ from the Storm carving out a niche in Melbourne? They obviously had their work cut out for them in an 'AFL religious city'. The Storm make sure to market themselves as a Victorian team, not a RL team which helps garner support as they are ''taking it to Sydney''.

The other thing (and I'll admit to knowing nothing about the Adelaide sporting market) is that the Rams used to get decent crowds back in the day. It doesn't appear to be an impossible task if we make an effort.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
I'd be interested to hear your opinion as a local.... how do you think this will differ from the Storm carving out a niche in Melbourne? They obviously had their work cut out for them in an 'AFL religious city'. The Storm make sure to market themselves as a Victorian team, not a RL team which helps garner support as they are ''taking it to Sydney''.

The other thing (and I'll admit to knowing nothing about the Adelaide sporting market) is that the Rams used to get decent crowds back in the day. It doesn't appear to be an impossible task if we make an effort.
The Rams' demise in 1998 severely damaged the game down here.

The ISC Cup is struggling big time and only has 5 teams in it (quite a few clubs have folded in that time too).

The Storm had the advantage of the NSW/Vic rivalry. That is something that is not as prevalent here.

SA's main rivalry is with Victoria and that's all AFL.

Who said I was an anti expansionist?

I'm all for expansion but nobody should be removed or relocated American style to achieve it.
Well for a start, you keep saying Adelaide cannot support a team. When I showed you facts that don't support your claim you ranted and raved like a lunatic. You've made some pretty extreme claims about Western Australia and its people, too. People like you are the reason Queensland is cheered in Origin when they play NSW in Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
Well for a start, you keep saying Adelaide cannot support a team. When I showed you facts that don't support your claim you ranted and raved like a lunatic. You've made some pretty extreme claims about Western Australia and its people, too. People like you are the reason Queensland is cheered in Origin when they play NSW in Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth.
Coming from a bloke from a state where lunatics like Annastacia Palaszczuk, Pauline Hanson and Clive Palmer are elected in parliament that's rich.

Who honestly gives a f**k about State of Origin?

I stopped caring about Origin years ago so stop talking about it.

Origin is just a hindrance that has damaged the international game which is what I care about.

You don't live here nor have you ever set foot in this city so you can shove your stats firmly up your arse.

Like I said our local competition is struggling big time and the crowds at the Roosters vs Storm games got smaller and smaller in the end.

I have serious doubts as to how we could sustain a team down here.

I've been a member/season ticket holder at Adelaide United since I moved here and the Reds crowds are a joke despite getting 52K at the Grand Final 5 years ago and football has been played down here for decades.

What makes you believe league could break through where football hasn't?

Its actually the other way around, most ""EXPANSIONISTS"" (if that claim actually exists to call themselves, but really its about rationalization of heartland then expanding)
are always flaunting historical figures of crowds forgetting that most expansion teams are always going to see higher crowds figures since they aren't close to any other team, hence they would have a region to themselves, not sharing it with a nearby team from the same region.. i for one am a big believer of expansion, and see myself as a true expansionist, or one who values expansion, but to follow it, you can't cull any of the current 16 teams to do it, expansion is about adding to the competition, all the fkwitz that spurt any inkling of culling teams or even relocating current brands aren't expansionists, they are are Rationalists... and if you believe in that, you may go and fk right off
🤦‍♀️

You don't realise it, but you've just explained why Sydney should lose a club or two.

If crowds for Sydney clubs are shit because they're encroaching on one another, as you've just claimed, then the supply of teams is greater than the demand for content.

In any other line of business this leads to rationalisation. The only thing keeping the Sydney clubs alive is welfare from the ARLC, to the detriment of the game outside of Sydney. Every dollar spent bailing out an unprofitable Sydney club is one less dollar spent on grassroots football.

The entitlement complex of Sydney RL fans explains why Housos is set in Sydney and not Brisbane or Melbourne.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
Hit the nail on the head completely.

MugaB

Coach
🤦‍♀️

You don't realise it, but you've just explained why Sydney should lose a club or two.

If crowds for Sydney clubs are shit because they're encroaching on one another, as you've just claimed, then the supply of teams is greater than the demand for content.

In any other line of business this leads to rationalisation. The only thing keeping the Sydney clubs alive is welfare from the ARLC, to the detriment of the game outside of Sydney. Every dollar spent bailing out an unprofitable Sydney club is one less dollar spent on grassroots football.

The entitlement complex of Sydney RL fans explains why Housos is set in Sydney and not Brisbane or Melbourne.
You only speak in terms of "they" and "them" you say "crowds" as if sydney was one collective, if you think culing or moving 2/9ths of sydney clubs means that 2/9ths will support or boost the crowds for the remaining 7/9ths... good luck, the Sydney population are not robots, they will not move to another tribe, what planet did you spring from, where you ditch your values and support, coz the governing body said you better off following the rival team nearby, coz we just moved yours on....
Geez get some sleep pal, your off your head

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why rationalisation crops up so often in expansion debates is due to the nrls position that it can’t expand because it sees the existing clubs as too weak to cope with more competition, be that for funding, players, sponsors, fans etc. it’s the nrls reluctance to use its funds to bankroll proper growth of the game at the top level that causes the frustration that leads to people believing the only way to expand is to cull some of the existing clubs where there is multi choice in one city of who to support. Why should rugby league fans in some cities not get the opportunity to support a local nrl club when other cities appear to have so much choice that they can’t actually attract enough fans to be sustainable?

Ideally the game would have enough revenue and hq control to be able to sustain all existing clubs and add in the 4-5new clubs over the next decade or two that would deliver us our long term footprint. But we don’t live in an ideal world so what gives?

You only speak in terms of "they" and "them" you say "crowds" as if sydney was one collective, if you think culing or moving 2/9ths of sydney clubs means that 2/9ths will support or boost the crowds for the remaining 7/9ths... good luck, the Sydney population are not robots, they will not move to another tribe, what planet did you spring from, where you ditch your values and support, coz the governing body said you better off following the rival team nearby, coz we just moved yours on....
Geez get some sleep pal, your off your head
I never said that fans of a culled or relocated team will jump on the bandwagon of another team, although I wouldn't rule out some of them doing it. @The Great Dane was a Bears fan.

Isn't there a Magpies fan on here who became a South Sydney fan after the Wests and Balmain merger?

I don't care what happens to the fans or small clubs who get the boot. The game ad a whole is more important than what some disgruntled fan from Sydney thinks and does.

I have no doubt that if you were to remove Cronulla from Southern Sydney then in 20 years time the kids growing up in Sutherland will support the Dragons without even thinking about a team that died before they were born.

AwFuL didn't die in Melbourne when the Swans and Lions relocated to Sydney and Brisbane. Crowds down there are stronger than ever.

Add more teams to new markets, such as Adelaide, Perth, New Zealand and maybe a 3rd Brisbane team in 10 or 15 years and the game will have more people playing and watching the game around the country after the new teams have enough time to become part of the community.

MugaB

Coach
part of the community.
Thats the key line now isn't, all the other dribble before hand is just the same ol rationale for rationalization sake, comparing ALF to NRL is your 1st mistake, NRL doesn't have the same time and money to just start your process of moving clubs willy nilly, nor should it have to. Moving cronulla, and your lose a huge chunk of juniors and fanbase along with it, not to mention riots and distaste on the league, which would make souths getting booted look like a ant march, and theyve rioted for less.... white power and all that... all these schemes you come up with generally are a fail to the real world consequences of today, and using incomparable stats won't prove that.... now moving the roosters..... now thats a sight to behold