What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bears

Thats the key line now isn't, all the other dribble before hand is just the same ol rationale for rationalization sake, comparing ALF to NRL is your 1st mistake, NRL doesn't have the same time and money to just start your process of moving clubs willy nilly, nor should it have to. Moving cronulla, and your lose a huge chunk of juniors and fanbase along with it, not to mention riots and distaste on the league, which would make souths getting booted look like a ant march, and theyve rioted for less.... white power and all that... all these schemes you come up with generally are a fail to the real world consequences of today, and using incomparable stats won't prove that.... now moving the roosters..... now thats a sight to behold
What the f**k did I just read?

MugaB

Coach
What the f**k did I just read?
Cronulla is "a part of their community" the sooner you get that thru your thick bumpkin skull the better for al the rest of the forum readers, who are constantly fed up with your rationale of rationalization or whatever the fk you generally vomit up. There is this hate that is in your posts everytime you hit send, and all it does is troll everyone, regardless of which team they support, you seem to love coming up with schemes to "benefit" the league, but its methods are always to break it apart, throw it away, or move it to Perth/Adelaide or woopwoop purely out of jealousy im guessing, atleast PRs shameful efforts to derail other bids are purely coz he wants a WA based team, you seem to want to watch everything burn, then turn it into A-League soccer

Cronulla is "a part of their community" the sooner you get that thru your thick bumpkin skull the better for al the rest of the forum readers, who are constantly fed up with your rationale of rationalization or whatever the fk you generally vomit up. There is this hate that is in your posts everytime you hit send, and all it does is troll everyone, regardless of which team they support, you seem to love coming up with schemes to "benefit" the league, but its methods are always to break it apart, throw it away, or move it to Perth/Adelaide or woopwoop purely out of jealousy im guessing, atleast PRs shameful efforts to derail other bids are purely coz he wants a WA based team, you seem to want to watch everything burn, then turn it into A-League soccer
Sydney doesn't have enough RL fans to support nine NRL clubs. The sooner you wake the f**k up and accept that the better, because the lunacy of basing the game's finances and footprint around unviable Sydney clubs that need an annual grant of $13m to survive is destroying the game. You refuse to see it because you're either too stupid or emotionally connected to think rationally.

AwFuL are growing rapidly because they're willing to make tough decisions for the greater good. There are lunatics in the AwFuL asylum who want to take it back to the 1980s (Eddie MacGuire, Jeff Kennett), but they're put in a straightjacket and locked away in a cell. The ARLC does the opposite. It lets the lunatics (Sydney suburbanites) run the asylum and wreck the joint. RL is fighting with one arm tied around its back and a blindfold covering its eyes while AwFuL has a fully fit champion heavyweight boxer in their corner pulling no punches.

I don't care if my posts annoy Sydney suburbanites who are living in 1977. It's better to be hounded and mocked by 100 idiots than to have one agree with you.

If you cannot see how crazy it is to use the Cronulla riots as justification for keeping The Sharks then you need help.

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
People in the North Shore of Sydney can choose any one of nine teams to support or can still attend any number of games in Sydney at any given weekend
Or RU clubs Gordon, Eastwood or Norths or Waratahs

Or GWS or Swans

Basketball or cricket teams 6s or Thunder ir internationals

Or soccer team like Wanderers or a Socceroos game

Its not hard to avoid RL in Sydney if your team gets booted

There is even movies, harbour or beaches, concerts, V8s, Comic Con, Easter shows or other family gatherings

When you boot clubs out or schedule games to inconvient time slots you loose fans to other events and that includes their cash

Or GWS or Swans

There is even movies, harbour or beaches, concerts, V8s, Comic Con, Easter shows or other family gatherings

When you boot clubs out or schedule games to inconvient time slots you loose fans to other events and that includes their cash
People in Adelaide and Perth have zero RL clubs to support, so they grow up watching fumbleball. Kids in Sydney grow up with nine clubs to support and aspire to play for when they grow up.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Or GWS or Swans

If you're a RL fan you would stick with the game, if the NRL had had a strategy to keep NS kids engaged they would have stuck with RL and chosen another team by now, they probably have. if you can travel to SFS to watch Union or AFL you can travel to watch rugby league. Booting the bears wasnt a bad decision, not having a strategy to keep the area rugby league heartland was.

MugaB

Coach
Sydney doesn't have enough RL fans to support nine NRL clubs. The sooner you wake the f**k up and accept that the better, because the lunacy of basing the game's finances and footprint around unviable Sydney clubs that need an annual grant of $13m to survive is destroying the game. You refuse to see it because you're either too stupid or emotionally connected to think rationally.

AwFuL are growing rapidly because they're willing to make tough decisions for the greater good. There are lunatics in the AwFuL asylum who want to take it back to the 1980s (Eddie MacGuire, Jeff Kennett), but they're put in a straightjacket and locked away in a cell. The ARLC does the opposite. It lets the lunatics (Sydney suburbanites) run the asylum and wreck the joint. RL is fighting with one arm tied around its back and a blindfold covering its eyes while AwFuL has a fully fit champion heavyweight boxer in their corner pulling no punches.

I don't care if my posts annoy Sydney suburbanites who are living in 1977. It's better to be hounded and mocked by 100 idiots than to have one agree with you.

If you cannot see how crazy it is to use the Cronulla riots as justification for keeping The Sharks then you need help.
Oh but Melbourne has enough ALF fans to support their 9 teams, seriously your maths is off its head, both cities are almost the same population...
As for cronulla, i was merely stating the consequences, its not a justification, im not judging it, they are passionate, which is probably more of what we want in RL

Perth Red

Post Whore
Oh but Melbourne has enough ALF fans to support their 9 teams, seriously your maths is off its head, both cities are almost the same population...
As for cronulla, i was merely stating the consequences, its not a justification, im not judging it, they are passionate, which is probably more of what we want in RL
Like I've said 4 of their 9 teams are also struggling, and yes they do have a much bigger fanbase than NRL has in Sydney. Evidenced by memberships. attendance and tv ratings in respective cities.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
People in Adelaide and Perth have zero RL clubs to support, so they grow up watching fumbleball. Kids in Sydney grow up with nine clubs to support and aspire to play for when they grow up.
The thing you fail to realise is no one gives a flying monkeys about rugby league in this city.

The people I do know that grew up here when the Rams were around have pretty much said they wouldn't bother following another team down here.

Heck former Socceroos legend Johnny Warren once proclaimed Adelaide to be the football capital of Australia and yet barring the last year of the NSL, the 2016 A-League Grand Final and the various FFA Cup Finals, Adelaide United has largely failed to crack 10K in what many regard as the best football stadium in Australia and yet you tell me an eastern states game can take off here? Oh wait was that a pig I just saw flying past my window? Lay off the crack pipe, drugs are bad for you.

Having an NRL team here won't stop kids watching Aussie Rules in this city.

Even the second tier SANFL is well supported down here.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
Like I've said 4 of their 9 teams are also struggling, and yes they do have a much bigger fanbase than NRL has in Sydney. Evidenced by memberships. attendance and tv ratings in respective cities.
Thing is though getting a membership at an AFL club is a way of Melbourne like getting a bottle of milk from the shop.

Memberships is a relatively new concept in the NRL.

Colk

First Grade

Yes because they have more support. Average crowd attendance to a game is about twice that of an NRL game

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
Yes because they have more support. Average crowd attendance to a game is about twice that of an NRL game
Due in part to the fact Aussie Rules is a religion in Melbourne.

Aussie Rules in Melbourne is a religion like union in New Zealand is.

Colk

First Grade

Or GWS or Swans

What’s your point? These things are always going to exist (ironically because many of those examples had the courage to expand to new markets like Sydney, which taking your advocacy for the reintroduction of Sydney side completely flies in the face of).

Anyway think of it this way - every successful multinational business expands their business. They have confidence in the product they are selling and they take on their competitors. Bringing North Sydney back would be the complete antithesis of that - it says to your competitors we can only ever be popular in NSW or QLD and we think that your product is a lot better than ours

MugaB

Coach
What’s your point? These things are always going to exist (ironically because many of those examples had the courage to expand to new markets like Sydney, which taking your advocacy for the reintroduction of Sydney side completely flies in the face of).

Anyway think of it this way - every successful multinational business expands their business. They have confidence in the product they are selling and they take on their competitors. Bringing North Sydney back would be the complete antithesis of that - it says to your competitors we can only ever be popular in NSW or QLD and we think that your product is a lot better than ours
Id preferably bring them back in another region away from NSW or QLD provided they were fully committed to back it, and only give them the one "heritage" one off game only and ever in that 1st season, then the following season, can garner one of the many sydney sides to generously donate a home game to NSO against the bears, so that these bears could stay in Adelaide or Christchurch for example fulltime

Colk

First Grade
The thing you fail to realise is no one gives a flying monkeys about rugby league in this city.

The people I do know that grew up here when the Rams were around have pretty much said they wouldn't bother following another team down here.

Heck former Socceroos legend Johnny Warren once proclaimed Adelaide to be the football capital of Australia and yet barring the last year of the NSL, the 2016 A-League Grand Final and the various FFA Cup Finals, Adelaide United has largely failed to crack 10K in what many regard as the best football stadium in Australia and yet you tell me an eastern states game can take off here? Oh wait was that a pig I just saw flying past my window? Lay off the crack pipe, drugs are bad for you.

Having an NRL team here won't stop kids watching Aussie Rules in this city.

Even the second tier SANFL is well supported down here.

The argument is to simply to have a presence. Having a presence in a market means higher TV deals, bigger sponsorships, potentially more supporters

I think rational people aren’t suggesting that RL will one day take over AFL in Adelaide, Perth or Melbourne or Rugby Union in New Zealand but complaining about having no popularity in those areas whilst at the same time not having a side in those areas (a 2nd side in NZ’s case) makes absolutely no sense ( you only have to look at these other sports and the niches they have created to show how inane that viewpoint is)

To me it’s analogous to somebody complaining about being in a low paying job and not looking for another one.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Here is an article from Ian Heads regarding the damage done by SL:

On this day 25 years ago, colleague Ian Heads wrote a sobering piece in the Sun Herald about the impact of the Super League War.
Merchandising was down between 60 and 90 per cent, driving some businesses broke. (Interestingly, merch from this period is now among the most sought-after).
Corporate sponsorship was down 40 per cent. Sponsors lost included Canberra Milk, Penfolds, Cash Converters, Prospect Electricity and Reebok.
Crowds were down 35 to 40 per cent.
Books and magazines selling between 35 and 40 per cent less.
Television ratings had dropped off 20 per cent, killing the Sunday night replay and prompting the move to Monday Night Football

TGG

Juniors
AwFuL didn't die in Melbourne when the Swans and Lions relocated to Sydney and Brisbane. Crowds down there are stronger than ever.

Yes but having those brands survive, albeit in another city, has resulted in a large number of Melbourne people supporting both the Swans and Lions and not being in a position of having to pick another club to support. That given how many games the Swans/Lions play in Melbourne every week really works.

Here is an article from Ian Heads regarding the damage done by SL:

On this day 25 years ago, colleague Ian Heads wrote a sobering piece in the Sun Herald about the impact of the Super League War.
Merchandising was down between 60 and 90 per cent, driving some businesses broke. (Interestingly, merch from this period is now among the most sought-after).
Corporate sponsorship was down 40 per cent. Sponsors lost included Canberra Milk, Penfolds, Cash Converters, Prospect Electricity and Reebok.
Crowds were down 35 to 40 per cent.
Books and magazines selling between 35 and 40 per cent less.
Television ratings had dropped off 20 per cent, killing the Sunday night replay and prompting the move to Monday Night Football
The Sunday night replay was a highlights package shown over a 1 hr time slot with a billion ads in between. It probably was 40 to 45 minutes of play.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Due in part to the fact Aussie Rules is a religion in Melbourne.

Aussie Rules in Melbourne is a religion like union in New Zealand is.
You say religion, I say popular! The problem nrl has is it’s just not popular enough clearly! Afl gets big crowds in every city, maybe we need to learn something!

Latest posts