What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The big NRL divide

davi

Juniors
Panthers 46 Sea Eagles 6
Rabbitohs 38 Bulldogs 0
Storm 40 Broncos 6

The Cowboys as we speak are getting mauled by the Sharks. Me thinks there is a big divide between the NRL teams. The factors behind some will link to the new six again rule. But Gus Gould said on his podcast that its not a factor in the issue.

Whatever is causing it lets hope evolution comes sooner rather then later and these teams get their houses in order quick. I will say though Sea Eagles, Broncos, and Cowboys have million dollar contracts with players who shouldn't be million dollar players. It may be in this current NRL environment better to have a couple of solid players. Rather then a superstar, and not much money left over for anyone else.

Instead of throwing big coin for a lambongini like a Jason Taumalolo. It maybe better to be looking to sign a diamond in the rough like a Kurt Capewell.

shear_joy9

Coach
nothing wrong with paying someone like JT big money; he's worth it. Cowboys problem is every other player in their squad.

People continue to piss and moan about these shit sides getting a pasting. I'm f**king loving it. I like seeing lots of points scored and it highlights just how badly run most of these clubs are. They will either get their shit together or their club can dissolve. I don't mind which one happens.

jc155776

Coach
People were saying the sharks was a bottom 4 team this year as well hahaha.

Not even like the Cowboys were murdered by a ‘top 4p’ team.

Sharks injury ravaged and down to 2 men on the bench first half again and still rack up a score.

gerg

Juniors
Kind of highlights how referees were managing games and results by slowing everything down and trying to keep things even. I hope the NRL continues with what it is doing as I think it will be better for the game in the longer term. Might take a few years though.

typicalfan

Coach
Kind of highlights how referees were managing games and results by slowing everything down and trying to keep things even. I hope the NRL continues with what it is doing as I think it will be better for the game in the longer term. Might take a few years though.
I was thinking this too, the impact piggy back penalties had which were often 50/50 at best and refs are spamming 6 again less than last year which is also good it allows the teams to sort it out themselves which leads to a better game when both teams are evenly matched but is exposing the teams who are being left behind.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I remember when Stick came in for us in 2014 after we lost a bunch of players and we were terrible. We finished second last and were probably the worst team in the comp but I can't remember us being this putrid. So the rules absolutely are widening the gap between good and bad. I am glad our shitty run in that era was not now

Exsilium

First Grade
It's been a terrible year for footy IMO. A few good games but we're missing those game where the neutral supporter gets excited about. The rule changes were always going to create a divide but next year teams will need to bridge the gap.

Exsilium

First Grade

I agree with this. We will see more sin bins by the end of the year. I feel like the refs are letting the teams adjust to the speed before they really "clamp" down on the discipline.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
It's been a terrible year for footy IMO. A few good games but we're missing those game where the neutral supporter gets excited about. The rule changes were always going to create a divide but next year teams will need to bridge the gap.

How many games have been good as a neutral so far this year ?

I liked the Panthers v Storm thought that was an absolute barnstormer of a game but I am struggling to think of other games. Some people might say the Raiders v Warriors but I am not a neutral and I think that was good because the warriors could run us down injured. So it was exciting but circumstantial

pantherz9103

First Grade
I'm so tired of people blaming the NRL or the rules for the ineptitude of certain teams performances. This takes away the accountability of those clubs who have no real excuse for being so bad. What I am saying is that Brisbane, Canterbury, North Qld and Manly only have themselves to blame for being THIS bad. Their recruitment, retention and coaching etc has all regressed to a level it never should have and that is of their own doing.

Also, it's a bit rich Brisbane, Manly or Canterbury fans seeking sympathy or blaming external factors for poor results. Those three clubs throughout much of their history have been traditional heavy weights, regularly winning comps and making finals series and the Cowboys also had a very strong period in the 2010's when Thurston was running the show. The fact they have declined to the point where they are now is partly just the cyclical nature of sport (finally catching up with the Broncos!) but also their own doing.

My club has a consistent winning footy side now and we are a young squad too (cough*cough Broncos) but we're making good decisions with recruitment and retention and have the right coaching and training systems. It hadn't been like that for most of our history. I'm not going to feel sorry for the poor old Broncos, Dogs and Manly because the NeW RuLeS ArE mAkiNg ThEm WoRsE...

Exsilium

First Grade
How many games have been good as a neutral so far this year ?

I liked the Panthers v Storm thought that was an absolute barnstormer of a game but I am struggling to think of other games. Some people might say the Raiders v Warriors but I am not a neutral and I think that was good because the warriors could run us down injured. So it was exciting but circumstantial

Sharks v Raiders
Raiders v Warriors
Knight v Tigers

The rest have been blow outs.

Exsilium

First Grade
Sharks v Raiders was close but an abysmal quality game imo. So it was kinda like wishing on a cursed monkey paw for a close game but it makes it really crappy

The blow outs are plentiful and as good as watching tries being scored is, it lacks engagement with the fans when its happening week after week.

Eels v Storm was another decent game.

Warriors v Knights was OK.

Exsilium

First Grade
I'm so tired of people blaming the NRL or the rules for the ineptitude of certain teams performances. This takes away the accountability of those clubs who have no real excuse for being so bad. What I am saying is that Brisbane, Canterbury, North Qld and Manly only have themselves to blame for being THIS bad. Their recruitment, retention and coaching etc has all regressed to a level it never should have and that is of their own doing.

Also, it's a bit rich Brisbane, Manly or Canterbury fans seeking sympathy or blaming external factors for poor results. Those three clubs throughout much of their history have been traditional heavy weights, regularly winning comps and making finals series and the Cowboys also had a very strong period in the 2010's when Thurston was running the show. The fact they have declined to the point where they are now is partly just the cyclical nature of sport (finally catching up with the Broncos!) but also their own doing.

My club has a consistent winning footy side now and we are a young squad too (cough*cough Broncos) but we're making good decisions with recruitment and retention and have the right coaching and training systems. It hadn't been like that for most of our history. I'm not going to feel sorry for the poor old Broncos, Dogs and Manly because the NeW RuLeS ArE mAkiNg ThEm WoRsE...

I agree with a lot of this but there are clubs that made decisions on recruitment years ago that are paying for it now. There are a multitude of factors but some teams are literally crippled by their recruitment decisions.

siv

First Grade
I saw 13 6 again calls in one game

Seems the better teams are managing the new rules better than the bottom 4

Once again we are seeing the consequences when new rules come in

Reflector

Juniors

I hope it translates to Origin as well. Sick of seeing convenient penalties given to try and ensure every game lives up to the "Origin is always close" myth.

Latest posts