What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bird Issue

Ads

First Grade
Normally I’d say take him but the club has too much money tied up in risks as it is.

If he can maintain fitness he would make an excellent lock in the game that's played today.
I like Birds mongrel, I'm nearly undecided on this one but if it has to be a yes or no, I'd say yes, just.

shaggs

Coach
If he can maintain fitness he would make an excellent lock in the game that's played today.
I like Birds mongrel, I'm nearly undecided on this one but if it has to be a yes or no, I'd say yes, just.
$475 is a lot to tie up in a guy who has barely played for 3 years.

Chimp

Juniors
Broncos are dreaming if they think anyone will pay $500k for him.

At 250/300, he’s worth a gamble (a gamble I’d certainly take) - anything above that is reckless.

Quigs

Immortal
I am in the Nay group.

We have exceeded our limits with expecting great things from those that are past their use by dates. The game in 2020 / 2021 is now way past the style that got us the holy grail in 2016.

Players have got to be able to stay upright and survive the long hard season. Not playing once or twice a month.

Yeah but who else is gunna come here next year? We’ve got our full cap back, find me some other alternatives.
It’s only for one year, if it doesn’t work out the 2022 plan will still be going ahead with or without him.

shaggs

Coach
Yeah but who else is gunna come here next year? We’ve got our full cap back, find me some other alternatives.
It’s only for one year, if it doesn’t work out the 2022 plan will still be going ahead with or without him.
All fair and good points.

Quicksilver

Bench

players come up all the time. I’d rather keep our money in our pocket than just over-spend on someone for the sake of it.

I wouldn’t give him more than $300k. Even then I’d do it with a big wince.

players come up all the time. I’d rather keep our money in our pocket than just over-spend on someone for the sake of it.

I wouldn’t give him more than $300k. Even then I’d do it with a big wince.
You need to stop putting words out there that haven't the intention that was brought up. There was nothing said for the "sake" of it.

Now to address your only real point:
Yes players do pop up all the time, but how many premiership winning, SOO players are popping up? And when was the last time one did?
It's a gamble no doubt, but if you're going to buy a very average first grader for $300k, well that extra $175k for someone who is a tried and tested winner, for just one year, well lines can start to be blurred about what is the correct way to proceed.
I will add that if the club doesn't go in this direction I understand, they are paid to do what they deem best.

Latest posts