What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bomber Morris Issue

fizman

Bench
I have seen a very bad “mindset” overtake Johnny Morris this season.

After a loss, he will typically make a statement in the Press Conference “We haven’t had our best 17 on the park all season.”

I see this thinking as a “mirage” which has a potential negative impact.

Our best 17 is the team that runs out each week. There is not point alluding to this “best group” of 17 that hasn’t played together at the same time.

Let’s focus on who we have, not who we don’t have.

On a side note, and I know this is left field. Not once have I seen Shane Flanagan sing the Dragons team song after a win, in fact, I can’t recall even seeing him in the room with the players.

Whilst I am not linking this to his return, it is interesting none the less.

I also recall that Paul Green to the Sharks was also close to a certainty.

Weaponhead

Coach
I have seen a very bad “mindset” overtake Johnny Morris this season.

After a loss, he will typically make a statement in the Press Conference “We haven’t had our best 17 on the park all season.”

I see this thinking as a “mirage” which has a potential negative impact.

Our best 17 is the team that runs out each week. There is not point alluding to this “best group” of 17 that hasn’t played together at the same time.

Let’s focus on who we have, not who we don’t have.

On a side note, and I know this is left field. Not once have I seen Shane Flanagan sing the Dragons team song after a win, in fact, I can’t recall even seeing him in the room with the players.

Whilst I am not linking this to his return, it is interesting none the less.

I also recall that Paul Green to the Sharks was also close to a certainty.
You are right about mindset. Wishing for the best 17 is pointless and a bad message. It's no wonder the side doesn't rise to the challenge against good teams.

He is learning his trade but needs to project more strength.

SadShark

Bench
After Game Presser “I certainly don’t make excuses.......but”
From there, Morris makes all the excuses he can come up with. As he has done so, after the shitkaaaarnt attitude losses we have endured every time we face a half arsed opposition like tonight, let alone the teams who have coaches that don’t make excuses. Oh... and your boy Chad is a faaarken delight to have back.

Ads

First Grade
The new rules are still whoever scores the least points loses

I reckon he would fit in
Doubtful. Was fading the last few seasons and his signings were desperate. One thing we can thank morris for is blooding youth even though it’s almost been forced on him.

Country Shark

Juniors
Pretty ordinary making the excuse about the best 17. Name one club with the exception of maybe Penrith that has been able to get the same 17 consistently? Rubbish excuse along with the experience remark that gets trotted out each week. The team hasn’t aimed up and it’s his job to fix it. Don’t resign him until the middle of next year and see if he can fix this mess up. I don’t reckon there will be clubs lining up to get him because the last thing we need is paying out a dud like everyone has been doing recently.

shadowboxer

First Grade
Easiest draw in the whole competition and will be lucky to make the semis
Yeah but the comp is a crock of crap anyway, like 2020.
I get the frustration, but seriously they are and always were cannon fodder this year anyway. Look back to the semi final Brookvale debacle last year.
I walked out of that dump this time last year, full to the eyes of Four Pines and accepted the ride was over, and back to the drawing board. There was enough in that game for me, to let all this go somewhat.
I’d say Morris has done okay under the circumstances with salary cap issue and inheritance of chief cock block Flanagan but not enough..... on the fence really, he’s blooded some great talent...but the defence.... sheesh
It’s gonna be a bumpy road ahead, not fussed - got 2016

toomuchsoup

Juniors
I was actually pretty happy with most of what he said in the press conference.

He seemed just as disgusted as I would have hoped and understood how the fans would have been feeling after that effort.

In saying all that, I still want Flanno back

I know it never works this way in the NRL cos of egos etc .. but I'd sign Paul Green as coach from 2022-2024, and as coaching director 2021 to support bomber and assemble the following years squad. Real planned transition to experience...
I constantly find that your posts echo my thoughts.
This is the plan that would work

DJDL

Bench
"he's"
f**king bogan illiterate merkin be gone

Maybe "his" a lurker and is in on the in-jokes around here regarding spelling.

Back on topic though, I really didn't find too much in what Bomber had to say.

All he really said on the inexperience is that there are 5 guys with less than 50 NRL games under their belt and they all had off nights. They played well last week but not this week. He then said usually the senior guys can help lift them out of it, but the senior guys played like crap as well. He then said that this is the NRL and if you pull on the jumper you better be ready to play, regardless of experience.

By his reckoning 1-17 all played like shite and need to have a good, hard look at themselves.

The presser lasted ~8 minutes and there was maybe 15 seconds of it where he mentioned anything about not having his best 17 available. Other than that, he was echoing pretty much what we are all thinking and feeling.

Think Morris just needs a defence coach , and some on field leadership . He must be between a rock and a hard place with Mulitalo.might be easier with a hard nosed defence coach blasting him for his defensive mistakes but head coach can still pick up the pieces and keep his best attributes. Most of these guys are still kids and probably need carrot AND a stick used judiciously.

As for Flanno coming back, I get the feeling that he has too many enemies in high places . You don't accomplish anything without putting a few noses out of joint , but seems there's still a long line up waiting their turn for a shot at Flanno.

DJDL

Bench
Think Morris just needs a defence coach , and some on field leadership .

Been feeling this for a while but, for all his strengths, I'm really starting to go off Wade as a leader.
He has some poor disciplinary traits at time: the lifting tackle; giving away set restarts; abysmal miss on Ponga for his last try.

I didn't post it at the time, but in the match against the Eels when the scores were tied and Fergo "knocked on" coming off his own line - which wasn't called - instead of cleaning up Dylan Brown when he picked the ball up, Wade turned to the ref and protested the call. Brown scoots 30 metres up field, the Eels get a roll on, then eventually BHU gets pinged for his shot on whoever which leads to the penalty goal.

For f**k sake, PLAY THE WHISTLE!! You're the f**king captain! Lead by example!

I've noticed similar things in his game for quite a while now and, for me, if the captain is setting that standard how can we expect the others to do any different?

Latest posts