What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The boom in women's Rugby League and the Union 7s overlap

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
So with news Brazil will be playing in the women's 2021RLWC after defeating Argentina

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/07/25/fijis-2021-wrlwc-miss-highlights-murky-selection-process/

The Brazilian team beat Argentina 48-0 in Sao Paulo last November. In that squad were six members of Brazil’s rugby sevens team which competed at Rio in the 2016 Olympics.

and we know

The Fiji Bulikula competed in their first Test last month and beat the Papua New Guinea Orchids 28-0 at Leichhardt Oval. Many players that featured in that team also play rugby sevens and are hoping to be selected in the Fijian team which will compete in Tokyo.

Furthermore, there was an obvious overlap in the Canadian women's squad with several players from Canada 7s...and this is continuing.

This overlap between women's 7s and rugby league intrigues me to say the least. Add to this the astonishing take up from women, as evidenced in Cameroun, Greece and Turkey, Serbia and Italy, I'm surprised this is all slipping under the radar.

What is going on here?

How do these women go about floating between union and league, and what can we do to keep league powering on for them?

Pommy

Coach
So with news Brazil will be playing in the women's 2021RLWC after defeating Argentina

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/07/25/fijis-2021-wrlwc-miss-highlights-murky-selection-process/

and we know

Furthermore, there was an obvious overlap in the Canadian women's squad with several players from Canada 7s...and this is continuing.

This overlap between women's 7s and rugby league intrigues me to say the least. Add to this the astonishing take up from women, as evidenced in Cameroun, Greece and Turkey, Serbia and Italy, I'm surprised this is all slipping under the radar.

What is going on here?

How do these women go about floating between union and league, and what can we do to keep league powering on for them?

The same as the men who float between both codes in most developing countries.
I’m not even sure that in developing nations that its really a good idea to seperate the two. With them floating between the two their friends etc will get exposure to league. If there was a divide between the two you might struggle to get fresh blood in.
There’s examples of teams in America just ageing out of existence due to a lack of fresh blood.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
In places where there's not much money involved and a club season doesn't take up 9 months of the year, more rugby balls in more hands for longer is undoubtedly a good thing.
The skills and exposure will improve more with both games than either one alone.

When we've got League and Union seasons running for 8 months and conflicting professionally, then we can worry about code hoppers.

The best thing League can do is keep presenting opportunities on both a local and world stage, and not restrict ourselves to places where Professional Rugby League matters.
Rugby 7s has the Olympics which is obviously a major draw. But we've got our World Cups in between.

For what it's worth, here's the calendar for Womens Rugby

Rugby League World 9s : Oct 2019 (4 nations)
Olympics Rugby 7s : July 2020 (12 nations)
Rugby World Cup : July 2021 (12 nations)
Rugby League World Cup : Nov 2021 (8 nations)
Comm Games Rugby 7s: July 2022 (6-8 nations?)

What can Rugby League offer in 2020 and 2022?

T-Boon

Coach

One advantage league has over union is it is less tide to its old rules than union. So you could if you wanted tailer the RL game to suit women while I think Union just cant go anywhere with its rules.
Already women have said we want 40-30 not 40-20. I think this is a rule that the mens game could adopt.
It would be the ultimate win for the game over its opponents in terms of attracting the womens movement to be able to say look at the great rule changes that women have ushered into the code.

Whatwhere

Juniors
At present and for the foreseeable future I actually see both as largely complimentary of one another in most nations. Take Australia for example. There is already a degree of crossover between both the Super W and NRLW competitions with player participating in both. In fact, I cannot think of the her name but one young lady played in the Ladie of Origin game at North Sydney Oval before driving up the M1 to Newcastle the Monday after to join the Wallaroos in preparation for the next weekends game against Japan.

In fact, I believe there's an arrangement between the Rebels and Storm to share talent between the two and RA is open to allowing their contracted 7s squad to potentially participate in the NRLW and Tests in the future.

In most cases neither seasons conflict and the elite level talent in the women's game isn't broad enough to distinguish nor do many of the athletes involved see any reason not to participate in both.

Stallion

First Grade
In places where there's not much money involved and a club season doesn't take up 9 months of the year, more rugby balls in more hands for longer is undoubtedly a good thing.
The skills and exposure will improve more with both games than either one alone.

When we've got League and Union seasons running for 8 months and conflicting professionally, then we can worry about code hoppers.

The best thing League can do is keep presenting opportunities on both a local and world stage, and not restrict ourselves to places where Professional Rugby League matters.
Rugby 7s has the Olympics which is obviously a major draw. But we've got our World Cups in between.

For what it's worth, here's the calendar for Womens Rugby

Rugby League World 9s : Oct 2019 (4 nations)
Olympics Rugby 7s : July 2020 (12 nations)
Rugby World Cup : July 2021 (12 nations)
Rugby League World Cup : Nov 2021 (8 nations)
Comm Games Rugby 7s: July 2022 (6-8 nations?)

What can Rugby League offer in 2020 and 2022?

Think rugby league would have a far more appealing and attractive form of rugby for the Olympics! Shame about that but friends in high places is not what rugby league has!

Matua

Bench
What's the issue? I played both all through high school and for a couple of years at uni.

yakstorm

First Grade
As mentioned above, until one of the sports starts running long competitions (ie. 8 - 9 months long) or they start running Pro Leagues, there isn't an issue.

The best thing League can do is continue to offer opportunities for these players as eventually, in some markets, the players will be forced to pick one code of Rugby over another. If they are at least exposed to the code, and enjoy it, they may pick League when push comes to shove, or at least come back to the sport at some stage or help with building foundations / pathways / clubs etc.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
What's the issue? I played both all through high school and for a couple of years at uni.

there is no issue. i just find it intriguing that brazilian women that ply their trade in 7s are all of the sudden banding together to play in the league world cup. i mean, how did that happen? same for canada.

do they just see it on the TV and think - 'how do we get involved?' I severely doubt it. it just doesn't add up.

latingringo101

Juniors
there is no issue. i just find it intriguing that brazilian women that ply their trade in 7s are all of the sudden banding together to play in the league world cup. i mean, how did that happen? same for canada.

do they just see it on the TV and think - 'how do we get involved?' I severely doubt it. it just doesn't add up.
Maybe they were told that it would be easier to get into the 2021 WRLWC if they formed a team.

Rugby 7s is very similar to RL due to the constant back and forth, less stoppages and cardio. I think athletes swap between Rugby 7s and RL more than XV and RL because their best chances of playing in world championships are in RL13 and Rugby 7s versions of each sport.