What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: The Bush Fires + Royal Commission

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
038fee263e5fc41d6ef07e9b2d149ac5e70f4153d74b3c410508d9fa1dd9c3a0.jpg

Bandwagon

Staff member
I may have no experience working with NGOs, but $11m in additional (to their existing running costs) seems a stretch. Punters like me naively gave thinking that my cash would be immediately injected in to the community who have been burdened by hardship. Then to find that charties are skimming excessively and warehousing the majority of the funds, makes us think again about spontaneous philanthropy.

The CEO declared openly that a large chunk of the funds would be “saved to spend towards disasters in the future“. To me, that’s a breach of trust (referring to the legal concept of trusts) and not too far away from obtaining financial advantage by deception.

The instagram mum who raised $30m proudly stated that 100% of all donations would be given to charties on the ground. Little did she and the donors know ....

</rant>

Yeah look I don't believe that is quite right. What they have said is that they know that whilst there is an immediate need, that need doesn't just go away,and continues on for years, and they are setting aside those funds to meet that need.

If that is the case I see nothing wrong there, they are raking in the money for this cause now, but what happens in three months time when the media has moved on and the disaster is no longer so in your face. Do you reckon they'll still be raking in donations for this cause, or will most people also have moved on? There are people that have simply lost everything, handing them a wad of cash now might well help them, but they won't be rebuilding their entire lives in the matter of weeks or months. They'll still need support.

Regards the costs of administration, again I'd say that @ around 11% sounds not that much to me, I'd hazard a guess that their general costs would be closer to 20%, so that would then represent a saving due to the economies of scale. There'd be a helluva a lot more work to be done in administering those funds responsibly and effectively, and I'd doubt very much that their existing infrastructure would be that poorly utilised that there'd be enough existing over capacity to big up the slack for what is such a major disaster at such a grand scale.

If they did, that in and of it's self would indicate to me they are running way too fat in the normal course of their business.

Gronk

Staff member
f**k off Bandy ... this is the age of outrage ffs .... i'm outraged!! :astonished:
Now that we can't be outraged at the charities, focus on Scotty who thinks it's just great that merkins are donating cos he can keep his wallet closed. How good are volunteers and charitable donations !

Gonna be a loooong few days and nights for the south of C-Brah

Whaddya mean? Coupla days at 42 degrees, fires on your arse and Curtis Scott returning to town? Just as well Julian O'Neill isn't anywhere near. I'll be interested to see if the Brumbies v Reds game goes ahead on Friday night.

Bazal

Post Whore
Whaddya mean? Coupla days at 42 degrees, fires on your arse and Curtis Scott returning to town? Just as well Julian O'Neill isn't anywhere near. I'll be interested to see if the Brumbies v Reds game goes ahead on Friday night.

Yeah but Curtis Scott and co will be hanging around Mooseheads so they shouldn't impact the southern suburbs, except maybe in the case of freak weather.

Suitman

Post Whore
This is truly frightening. The perfect firestorm.
Best to read the description of what happened before watching the video.

These fires have been ruthless and at the mercy of the gods.
No human intervention can stop this sort of shit.

strider

Post Whore
This is truly frightening. The perfect firestorm.
Best to read the description of what happened before watching the video.

These fires have been ruthless and at the mercy of the gods.
No human intervention can stop this sort of shit.

it won't play for me :(

strider

Post Whore
googled it .... thats scary as f**k

people think they can defend their places - but when you see that, there's no chance

(I dunno how to link it ..... google "Dunmore 1 overrun")

Suitman

Post Whore
googled it .... thats scary as f**k

people think they can defend their places - but when you see that, there's no chance

(I dunno how to link it ..... google "Dunmore 1 overrun")

Absolutely chaotic.
Those three utes that are seen in the video had a lucky escape.
I don't know how the fire truck that stayed put survived. I wouldn't have thought a bit of water over the truck would save it. The heat outside must have been extremely intense.

Bazal

Post Whore
Stay safe mate.

We should be OK, in theory. Fire is still a fair way away and even if it roared up to the Bidgee it would have a lot of suburbia to go through.

Problem for us will be the same as 2003 in that if that happens, or if it pushes up towards Calwell/Theodore/Banks etc, flare ups in the reserve land to the east of us could take us out. We back onto the reserve at Farrer Ridge and there's really nothing but bush east of it through Wanniassa Hills and so on.

Latest posts