What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Champion in the No.7

BG

Juniors
Buderus hails Knights No.7
Glenn Jackson | March 23, 2007
THE player wearing the Newcastle No.7 jumper is a champion, says hooker Danny Buderus. A real champion.
"Real champions - and I know it's a loose phrase - demand the ball for the winning play," Buderus said. "For the plays that can win or lose the game, he doesn't care, he takes it on. He's got no problems taking the clutch play. If he misses it, he misses it, and if he gets it, he gets it … but nine times out of 10, he gets it."
But he is not Andrew Johns. The man who gets it more often than not is Jarrod Mullen, the adolescent who is expected to be handed the ultimate hospital pass of replacing Johns in the long term.
The difference between the two is stark. One is arguably the best player in the world, and the highest-profile. The other might be considered a money man on the field as well, but he still earns a bit of extra cash on the side off it by delivering hampers and gifts for his mum.
But that suits Mullen. Whether it be driving a truck around Newcastle or feeding a centre with a cut-out pass, delivering seems to come easy.
When Newcastle players talk about Mullen, they generally point to two matches last season. Coming into their round-24 game against North Queensland, the Knights had lost 10 on the trot without their halfback and general Johns. But Mullen, with the strut of a cocky kid but the head of a seasoned pro, ended that nightmare run with a try, an assist, and a field goal - despite having had 12 painkilling needles jabbed in his sternum.
Three weeks later, the Knights' finals hopes were on the line against Manly. This time, Johns was in the side - so when the match was up for grabs, they turned to … Mullen.
It was a decoy play - the Manly defence swarmed on Johns with the scores deadlocked at 18-18, but Buderus instead found Mullen, who clinched the game with the field goal.
It demonstrated that when Johns does retire - he is expected to at the end of this season - the Knights will be in good hands.
Importantly, in a situation where the pressure will be magnified along with the criticism in the event of failure, Mullen doesn't lack confidence. He says he doesn't suffer any nerves, while, despite keeping a log of Johns's training tips, he says he just feels pride, not pressure, when he pulls on that No.7 jumper.
"I didn't really think about it, the first time I put it on, to be honest," Mullen said. "Looking back on it, it was a fair privilege." It's this type of cool-headedness that no doubt prompted coach Brian Smith to select him, at just 19, as a member of the Knights' leadership group, and skipper in their pre-season game against Penrith in Darwin. Mullen has already expressed a desire to take the job long term.
"For sure," he said. "It's every kid's dream to captain a side. To captain the Newcastle Knights, it would be unbelievable. It's definitely one of my goals."
But if you think he's one of these Novocastrians who grew up worshipping the likes of Johns and Buderus, you're mistaken.
He might have grown up not much further than a punt kick from where Buderus did, in Taree, but he was always a Canberra fan.
But in 1997, the Knights picked up a premiership, and a future star. He moved to Newcastle that very year, just in time for Johns to dart up the blindside and send Darren Albert over in the grand final to give the Knights their first premiership win, against Manly. From then on, he cheered Johns and Buderus rather than Stuart and Daley.
Now, Buderus believes this may be the year of the Jarrod, rather than the seemingly inevitable year of the Joey.
"I think he's realised he's going to fulfil his potential this year," Buderus said. "He's had a taste of it. Whether he's playing six or seven, Jarrod's going to be our money man. We're going to look for him for the big plays."
No doubt, he'll be looking just as hard for them.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/buderus-hails-knights-no7/2007/03/22/1174153255083.html

Farva

Juniors
Nice article.

Also good to see 3 champion Taree boys wearing the Red and blue.

knightsyeah12

Juniors
Good article

Its amazing to c how a 19 year old has that much influence in a FG side. its great to c and i find myself not worrying as much about Joey caling it quits

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
*be's a Knights supporter*

*gets jollies over #7*

keeney

First Grade
KniGhTs BaTTLeR said:
Good article. I might have to order a hamper of his old girl.

It'll be like a fairytale, he'll come driving in his big white van, and deliver your goods, then sweep you off your feet to live a carefree life of delights.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
keeney said:
It'll be like a fairytale, he'll come driving in his big white van, and deliver your goods, then sweep you off your feet to live a carefree life of delights.

:lol: Good call.

Latest posts