What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Cocktail (and Spirits) Thread

Bazal

Post Whore
Sounds delicious. You should send that review to their advertising dept.

Laphroiag may actually appreciate it.

Not sure if they still have it, but one of their slogans (submitted to a contest by a customer) was "tastes like French kissing a cigar-smoking walrus".

soc123_au

Staff member
I'm very low brow when it comes to alcohol. I enjoy a JD & Coke and dont mind a good port or muscat. But I have never understood the higher end stuff. I cant imagine paying decent coin to drink something that tastes like shit. Same as wine, I use it a lot in cooking, but cant drink the stuff.

Bazal

Post Whore
I'm very low brow when it comes to alcohol. I enjoy a JD & Coke and dont mind a good port or muscat. But I have never understood the higher end stuff. I cant imagine paying decent coin to drink something that tastes like shit. Same as wine, I use it a lot in cooking, but cant drink the stuff.

No argument. No point paying big money for something you don't like.

I will say (as a JD fan) that there are heaps of great Bourbons for the extra money though, as an example. Sometimes expensive is no better and sometimes it's way better.

Bazal

Post Whore
Teeling Single Malt. Very hyped whiskey and distillery.

They've been experimenting with advantage of Irish whiskey laws, which state that whiskey must be aged in wooden barrels, with no stipulation that they need to be oak...although this is one is all oak, they have messed around with the barrels.

It's a blend of various age single malts finished in sherry cask, port cask, madeira cask, white burgundy and cab sauv barrels. I really like it. There's less of the shortbread you get from Irish blended whiskey, it's quite creamy with a great fruit sweetness and the wine barrels add a dry finish.

Side note, it definitely seems like my palate has now pretty much totally calibrated on wine. This is lovely, but getting back into a few more whiskies lately and the ethanol bitterness just builds up kills me after a few. Which sucks but does act as a handy stopping point when you get something like this

horrie hastings

First Grade
Lychee martini.
Vodka, lychee liqueur, lychees, ice and a bit of lychee syrup from the tin, shaken in a cheap Liqourland plastic shaker because the good shaker was to hard to get to, two very happy people here but definately only having one because they are potent :D

Bazal

Post Whore
Local BWS has Makers Mark 46 for near enough to the same price as the normal Makers.

Couldn't go past that and couldn't resist a small Glencairn before it went in the cupboard (cos I've got some Longbranch and some Woodford tp get through first).

Damn... I forgot how cherry heavy it is. So good

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Lychee martini.
Vodka, lychee liqueur, lychees, ice and a bit of lychee syrup from the tin, shaken in a cheap Liqourland plastic shaker because the good shaker was to hard to get to, two very happy people here but definately only having one because they are potent :D
Demolished many of these on the cruise ship a few moons ago. Definatley have some kick to them

horrie hastings

First Grade
Demolished many of these on the cruise ship a few moons ago. Definatley have some kick to them

Started having them at Kuletos bar in Newtown when they had their $10 cocktails specials on a Sunday and they didn't hold back on the alcohol, they were so moreish , had lychee liqoure in the fridge and thought I would try and replicate them as it is a pretty easy recipe and I reckon I did a pretty reasonable job , had some more last night but now out of lychee liquore.

Bazal

Post Whore
Just ordered two bottles of Archie Rose Rye Malt whiskey.

Keen

Just cracked the first bottle.

Ordered another 4.

Look, I'm a wine drinker first and a scotch fan second. My palate is calibrated to wine, so others in this thread are no doubt better than me when it comes to whiskey palates. But holy f**king shit this is gorgeous and I can absolutely see how it won best rye in the world...three times

Rye usually has a green, grassy spice character and that's present for sure. But the things I get most of are marzipan and caramel. Hard to believe it's only spent 3 years in oak, really.

Recommended very highly for any whisky fan

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Started having them at Kuletos bar in Newtown when they had their $10 cocktails specials on a Sunday and they didn't hold back on the alcohol, they were so moreish , had lychee liqoure in the fridge and thought I would try and replicate them as it is a pretty easy recipe and I reckon I did a pretty reasonable job , had some more last night but now out of lychee liquore.
Mate used to live a short walk from there in newtown, did a week bender there for my 21st. Their espresso martinis are amazing to get the ignition going again after a 6 day hangover lol

Parra

Referee
Highland Park 10yr in some sort of viking bottle. On special. Not as nice as the 12. That strong medicinal flavour at first (not sure what you call that.

But....if you pour this and let it breath for a while (say 30 mins) it is smooth and a bit peaty. Good value.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Scored a bottle of the new Archie Rose Single Malt in their pre release ballot, looking forward to trying that one!

Latest posts