What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Comic Book Film Thread *** SPOILERS ***

shiznit

Coach
Sooooo... apparently the reaction to Dark Phoenix has been really good...

The embargo lifts 2moro so I’ll be interested to see what the reviews look like.

greenBV4

Bench

The embargo lifts 2moro so I’ll be interested to see what the reviews look like.
Saw a post on Facebook this morning from Village Cinemas (or could of been a different one) advertising it as "the next instalment of the Marvel Universe"
99% its probably just misleading to try bump up sales (technically not a lie, they didn't say MCU), but it'd be interesting if there was some sort of mention in the movie of alternate universes, leading into the eventual merging of them somehow

And theres been a fair bit of talk of Deadpool being the first to make a jump, some say in deadpool 3 and some say in spiderman 3, and if true I think it'd actually be a great idea, he could just explain how it happened in movie by breaking the 4th wall

Springs09

Juniors
Saw a post on Facebook this morning from Village Cinemas (or could of been a different one) advertising it as "the next instalment of the Marvel Universe"
99% its probably just misleading to try bump up sales (technically not a lie, they didn't say MCU), but it'd be interesting if there was some sort of mention in the movie of alternate universes, leading into the eventual merging of them somehow

And theres been a fair bit of talk of Deadpool being the first to make a jump, some say in deadpool 3 and some say in spiderman 3, and if true I think it'd actually be a great idea, he could just explain how it happened in movie by breaking the 4th wall

Feige did review the script and 'tone' of Dark Phoenix when Disney acquired Fox and New Mutants has been delayed to fit in with the Disney release schedule so surely there's a hint or two somewhere within the 2 movies.

Zoidberg

First Grade

Rotten tomatoes currently has it at 15%.
Ugh. I was worried about this and it looks to have lived up to my fears. Not keen to see it but I will.

shiznit

Coach
Yeah maybe I jumped the gun with the twitter reactions... the reviews I’ve read are pretty bad...

bileduct

Coach
Dark Phoenix is an absolutely underwhelming f**king mess.

Shit writing, shit direction, shit performances from individuals like Jennifer Lawrence. Such a sad ending to a once great franchise. I really don't know what else to say other than -10/10.

The only part I enjoyed was seeing Dazzler, and that only went for about 5 seconds.

Last edited:

bileduct

Coach
Feige did review the script and 'tone' of Dark Phoenix when Disney acquired Fox and New Mutants has been delayed to fit in with the Disney release schedule so surely there's a hint or two somewhere within the 2 movies.
There's zero hints in this film as to how X-Men could be incorporated into the MCU. The Spider-man: Far From Home trailer before it probably provides the biggest clue as to how it could happen.

Springs09

Juniors
There's zero hints in this film as to how X-Men could be incorporated into the MCU. The Spider-man: Far From Home trailer before it probably provides the biggest clue as to how it could happen.

Is there anything redeeming about it all? Did they at least look like they tried?

Zoidberg

First Grade
Just back from Dark Phoenix. Pretty much a nothing movie. Comparable to a filler episode of a tv show with a underlying story arc. Doesn’t feel like they expected this to be the final movie of this franchise. Some bits were ok. Nothing new or fresh. Didn’t expect much and still disappointed.

bileduct

Coach
Just back from Dark Phoenix. Pretty much a nothing movie. Comparable to a filler episode of a tv show with a underlying story arc. Doesn’t feel like they expected this to be the final movie of this franchise. Some bits were ok. Nothing new or fresh. Didn’t expect much and still disappointed.
Yup. Went in with low expectations and even they weren't met.

The most disappointing aspect of this film was that Jean never really wielded the Phoenix force in a manner that satisfactorily displayed its true destructive power. At one point I think there was a television report than mentioned how she'd destroyed two communities, except all she'd done was f**k up two houses and a bunch of cop cars at one and destroy a helicopter at the other.

My understanding is that large portions of the movie had to be reshot because there was too much similarity to the Captain Marvel story, particularly with regard to the shapeshifting aliens and their motivations (which were to neutralise a threat to their own existence.) The ending was supposed to have Jean using the Phoenix force to blow away an entire incoming alien fleet.

The only real improvement over The Last Stand was that they at least tried to incorporate more elements of the original story. The D'Bari were the alien raced wiped out by Jean Grey in the comics when she sucked all the power out of their sun. In this film the Phoenix force has already f**ked up their planet before it encounters Jean Grey.

Jennifer Lawrence just f**king sucked. I've never seen a more soulless performance in any superhero film. James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender were adequate with the excrement they were given, but everyone else in this film were just completely forgettable. Quicksilver was incapacitated for 2/3rds of the film because.... why?

Storm13

Juniors
Didn't think anyone was still watching these X-Men movies still?

Series should of been rebooted even before the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man series was :cool:

shiznit

Coach
Doubtful. Days of Future Past was ok. Logan was awesome. Deadpool was good. X-Men universe is so big yet they aim small.
First Class??

I enjoyed the f**k out of that movie... admittedly i had super low expectations after Last Stand... but as far as rebooting a superhero franchise... I don’t think you can do much better IMO...

Storm13

Juniors
First Class??

I enjoyed the f**k out of that movie... admittedly i had super low expectations after Last Stand... but as far as rebooting a superhero franchise... I don’t think you can do much better IMO...

Actually I do mean First Class and not Days of Futures Past (time travel movies are usually lame). Not a popular opinion but I would say First Class and The Last Stand are the two closest movies to the X-Men in general.

Springs09

Juniors
Doubtful. Days of Future Past was ok. Logan was awesome. Deadpool was good. X-Men universe is so big yet they aim small.

Days of Future Past and Logan are as good as anything the MCU has done. First Class was also good. The Deadpool movies I don't like as much but they are entertaining and people seem to love them.

So yes, if they rebooted X-Men after Last Stand we would have missed out on several of the current best Superhero movies.

None of the post-Raimi Spider-Man movies have been as good as Spider-Man or Spider-Man 2. I would be very surprised if a fully rebooted X-Men series would have given us 4 or so good movies in the last ten years.

bileduct

Coach
I couldn't even tell you what happened in any of the non-Tobey Maguire Spider-man movies because they are so f**king forgettable.

Latest posts