What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The comp leaders (Warriors/Saints)...how far will they go?

Wizardman

First Grade
St George. Two years ago, this side was a bit of a basket case. They always started to defend very well early in the season but their attack never really caught up or improved.
They have a very different feel to them this year. The two big buys have given the side a shitload of stability and confidence. Their pack is shaping up to be the top pack in the comp....tough, great metres and can ballplay too.
Hunt has been the best thing for Gareth Widdop who is just picking his spots now instead of organising the side. I've never seen him play better.
Their backline (outside of the amazing Dufty) is nothing to write home about, but with a great pack and very good halves, they certainly do the job.
They will certainly make the 8 and be a huge threat when they get there.

Warriors. The are definitely playing well but Im not convinced that they will sustain it for 26 rounds. League needs a good Warriors side and I hope they make the 8...but it is very much wait and see.

Diesel

Referee
Dragons look tough to beat, their atrack and defence are both premiership material.

Warriors are generally playing catch up after the first 1/3 of the season and don’t get a roll on until Origin time, being 4 from 4 is unheard of. This team is looking as balanced as the 2002/3 sides.

The game between these two sides in round 7 which is shaping up as the match of the season thus far & wasn’t good enough for FTA, suck shit 9.

blaza88z

Coach
I am not sold on the Warriors, I know they're 4 from 4 and can't do much more than beat their opposition but I don't think their opposition have been anywhere near their best in each game, certainly the Roosters weren't and Souths were still finding their way

Dragons however have one hell of a squad, they'll be hard to beat

mave

Coach
You dont make friends with salad
You dont win friends with salad
You dont win friends in April
You dont win comps in April

blaza88z

Coach
It does concern me that the Dragons went to water relatively quickly last year after a strong start, I am sure it worries their fans too.. regardless of how comprehensive some of these wins are for them

Life's Good

Coach
Absolutely. The only ones talking the Dragons up are the bookies & opposition fans. We got off to great starts in 14, 15 & 17 yet faded badly.
Hunt & Graham have made us a different side this year but most Dragons fans are staying grounded(I know I am).

Smack

Coach
I think we have the best pack in the comp, a great halves combo and decent backline. We will make a run of it this year but come origin time it will be a test.

saint.nick

Coach
Doing my best to stay grounded but at the same time I do think we are a completely different beast this year. We havent been this razzle dazzle for a very long time whereas we have been one trick ponies in recent seasons

SBD82

Coach
It does concern me that the Dragons went to water relatively quickly last year after a strong start, I am sure it worries their fans too.. regardless of how comprehensive some of these wins are for them
Yeah. There's not a dragons fan out there who is going to go off early. Lesson learned well and truly.

Cautiously optimistic is how I'd describe it. Very f**king cautiously.

Wizardman

First Grade
Yeah. There's not a dragons fan out there who is going to go off early. Lesson learned well and truly.

Cautiously optimistic is how I'd describe it. Very f**king cautiously.

They are a different beast this year. I cannot see them miss the 8.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Warriors will have a big Origin advantage as usual, and likely won’t be playing catch up. Blake Green could be a bolter but on last nights evidence Lino is a more than capable backup half, and they hav very few other Aussies and none who’d be in Origin contention so could carry a near full strength side into that period bar injury. they could get hit hard in rep week though but that’s only one weekend, not three.

SBD82

Coach
They are a different beast this year. I cannot see them miss the 8.
Yeah... I'm still going to be cautious if it's all the same to you. I didn't see them missing the 8 last year either.

There are some very good signs for our team. Mostly it's the change to attitude after we concede points. It's also good to see the 6 and 7 playing off one another so much.

However, fatigue and injuries played a massive part last year. If we lose one or two of our middles, we are suddenly very thin. We have a couple of good young juniors, but they're not proven in the week to week grind.

Game_Breaker

Coach
TAB currently has Dragons at $6.5 to win the comp behind Roosters and Storm and favourites for the minor premiership (equal with Roosters)

CrownBet has them outright favourites for MP

Most others have them 4th favourites to win the comp at (between $7-7.5)

The hype begins

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
However, fatigue and injuries played a massive part last year. If we lose one or two of our middles, we are suddenly very thin. We have a couple of good young juniors, but they're not proven in the week to week grind.

I think all clubs have similar fears. As a Warriors fan I’m amazed we’ve got the job done without Mannering and (this weekend) Johnson, so at least it looks like we can compete without relying on any one player but we’d still be f**ked if injuries hit hard.