What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Contender Australia

shiznit

Coach
p_004771.jpg

who watched the first episode this week??

i thought it was pretty cool... im hoping one of the Kiwi boys wins and he takes the Mundine fight over to NZ.

also... i hope that Island boy knocks Nader Hamdan's head off...

Last edited:

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Just watched the first episode then. Thought it was good.. the fight production lacked a little from the U.S. version but still a good show.

It was hard to judge anything from what they showed of the fight. Either way they both seemed like decent blokes.

shiznit

Coach
anyone have there fighting records before the contender?

JUNIOR 'THE ONE" TALIPEAU
Height: 5’10”
Martial Status: Single
Residence: Cronulla, New South Wales,
Birth Place: New Zealand

PROFESSIONAL CAREER:
Undefeated
14 FIGHTS
14 WINS (KNOCK OUTS 5), LOST 0 (KNOCK OUTS 0), DRAW 0, ROUNDS BOXED 96, KO% 35.71

Minor Titles won:
WBF Asia Pacific Middleweight champion, Current Australian Middleweight Champion.
Amateur Achievements:
Held New South Wales novice, Australian Golden Gloves, PCYC National titles in 3 divisions and also New Zealand amateur middleweight champion (2004)
Trainer: Alan Sykes

GARTH "FROM THE HOOD" WOOD
Height: 5’9”
Martial Status: single
Residence: Petersham, New South Wales, Australia
Birth Place: Sydney, Australia

PROFESSIONAL CAREER:
5 FIGHTS, 4 WINS (2 KNOCK OUTS), 1 LOSS (1 KNOCK OUT), 0 DRAWS, ROUNDS BOXED 15, KO% 40
Trainer: Barry Wood

DANIEL MACKINNON
Martial Status: Defacto
Residence: Otorohanga, King Country, New Zealand,
Birth Place: Otorohanga, NZ

PROFESSIONAL CAREER:
18 FIGHTS
13 WINS (7 KNOCK OUTS), 4 LOSSES (2 KNOCK OUTS), 1 DRAW, ROUNDS BOXED 91, KO% 38.89
NZ Junior Amateur Champion, current NZ Middleweight Champion.
Turned pro in 2003
Trainer: Henry Schuster

JOSH "CAST IRON" CLENSHAW
Height: 5’11”
Martial Status: Defacto
Residence: Mt Druitt, Sydney
Birth Place:Sydney

PROFESSIONAL CAREER:
42 FIGHTS
26 WINS (13 KNOCK OUTS), 16 LOSSES (3 KNOCK OUTS), 0 DRAW, ROUNDS BOXED 286, KO% 30.95
Trainer- Dylan Nye

ISRAEL "COBRA" KANI
Height: 183
Martial Status: Engaged
Residence: Noosa Heads, Queensland
Birth Place: Central Coast, NSW
Trainer: Bobby “Precious” Wilson

PROFESSIONAL CAREER:
13 FIGHTS
9 WINS (4 KNOCK OUTS), 2 LOSSES (KNOCK OUTS 0), 2 DRAWS, ROUNDS BOXED 79 KO% 30.77
Minor Titles won:
Queensland State Super Middleweight, Australian Super Middleweight

Amateur Achievements:
Australian Amateur League’s 2002 Middleweight, 2003 Super Middleweight and 2004 Middleweight Champion.

ADRIAN TAIHIA
Height: 178
Martial Status: married
Residence: Sandringham, NZ,
Birth place: Auckland, NZ

PROFESSIONAL CAREER:
Undefeated
6 FIGHTS
5 WINS (KNOCK OUTS 3), 0 LOSSES, 1 DRAW, ROUNDS BOXED 17 KO% 50
Trainer: Guillermo Mosquera

BEN "THE JUICER" MCCULLOCH
Height: 6’0”
Martial Status: single
Residence: Bondi, New South Wales, Australia,
Birth Place: Sydney, Australia

PROFESSIONAL CAREER:
3 FIGHTS
3 WINS (2 KNOCK OUTS), O LOSSES, 0 DRAWS, 11 ROUNDS BOXED KO% 66.67
Trainer: David Burchell

NADER "LIONHEART" HAMDAN
Height: 176
Martial Status: married
Residence: Kingsgrove, Sydney, NSW,
Birth Place: Sydney

PROFESSIONAL CAREER:
47 FIGHTS
41 WINS (KNOCK OUTS 18), 6 LOSSES (KNOCK OUTS 1), DRAW 0, ROUNDS BOXED 347, KO% 38.3
Trainer: Michael Akkaway

KARIZ "PETER" KARIUKI
Height: 6′ 0½
Residence: Blacktown, New South Wales, Australia
Birth Place: Nairobi, Kenya

PROFESSIONAL CAREER:
27 fights
18 WINS (KNOCK OUTS 17), 7 LOSSES (KNOCK OUTS 4), 2 DRAWS, ROUNDS BOXED 124, KO% 62.96
Trainer: Lincoln Hudson

Minor Titles Won:
Australian Light Heavyweight, PABA Super Middleweight, WBA Pan African Super Middleweight, WBO Asia Pacific Super Middleweight 2007, 2009, IBF Australasian Super Middleweight, WBO Oriental Super Middleweight, WBO Africa Super Middleweight

LES "DIAMOND" PIPER
Height: 174
Martial Status: Married
Residence: Carrara, Gold Coast, Australia,
Birth Place: NSW, Australia

PROFESSIONAL:
15 FIGHTS
10 WINS (KNOCK OUTS 2), 2 LOSSES (KNOCK OUTS 0), 3 DRAWS, ROUNDS BOXED 93 KO% 13.33
Minor Titles won: Queensland State Light Heavyweight, Queensland State Super Middleweight, Australian Super Middleweight.
Trainer: Bryan Lynch

LUKE "KOOL HAND" MOLONEY
Height: 182
Residence: Reservoir, VIC Australia,
Birth Place: Reservoir, Melbourne

PROFESSIONAL CAREER:
17 PROFESSIONAL FIGHTS
13 WINS (KNOCK OUTS 0), 4 LOSSES (KNOCK OUTS 1), 0 DRAWS, ROUNDS BOXED 121, KO% 0
Trainer: Daryl Ford

SONNI "JUNGLE BOY" MICHAEL ANGELO
Height: 175
Martial Status: Single – but 2 Fiancés!
Residence: Sydney, Australia
Birth Place: Dolisie, Conga

PROFESSIONAL CAREER:
25 FIGHTS
15 WINS (KNOCK OUTS 5), 8 LOSSES (KNOCK OUTS 3), 2 DRAWS, ROUNDS BOXED 155, KO% 20
Queensland super middleweight state champion, Asian Pacific middleweight boxing champion

VICTOR "THE CRUSHIN RUSSIAN" OGANOV
Height: 174
Residence: Perth, WA Australia,
Birth Place: Syktyvkar, Russia

PROFESSIONAL CAREER:
Amateur career began at 15 – 70 fights, 55 WINS, 55 KNOCK OUTS
PRO CAREER began at 22 –
30 FIGHTS (KNOCK OUTS 28), 2 LOSSES ( KNOCK OUTS 2), DRAWS 0, ROUNDS BOXED 102, KO% 93.33
Trainer: Elias Nassar

PRADEEP "THE INDIAN WARRIOR" SINGH
Residence: Boronia,Melbourne, Australia
Birth Place: India

PROFESSIONAL CAREER:
127 Amateur fights – 125 WINS, 2 LOSSES.
17 FIGHTS
15 WINS (KNOCK OUTS 8), 1 LOSS (KNOCK OUT 0) 1 DRAW, ROUNDS BOXED 98, KO% 47.06
Titles held:
OPBF Middleweight Title 2006, PABA Middleweight Title 2005/6

BLKOUT!

Juniors
Didn't like Daniel, someone needs to put him on his ass. I'm thinking Oganov will win this, everything I've read would have to make him the favourite IMO.

Also I hope Michael Jordan makes the semis at least.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
I'm enjoying the show. Daniel and Victor would have to be the favourites.

I want to see Garth Wood demolish Ben, Garth is good for some laughs.

How funny was that sh*t with the Jungle Boy- 'if you want to fight, you have to fight Victor'. Daniel ends up with the fight.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
how the f**k did that result happen. Junior smashed him. Absolutely crushed hey. I dont even know the guy, but that was an injustice.

El Diablo

Post Whore
they showed f**k all of the fight. you can't possibly know

last week it looked like Piper won

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
hey showed f**k all of the fight. you can't possibly know

last week it looked like Piper won

Sorry. From what they edited he was robbed. This was also conveyed by the crowd and trainers of each fighter whom seemed to believe that Junior had been shafted. And I agree, i thought it looked like piper won last week as well. Makes you question the credibility of the show, and makes you think that they didn't want oganov or nader to lose.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
I'm a blue team supporter, but Victor did not deserve that win tonight

Hopefully Pradeep fights Jungle Boy next week

Mateo Moi Moi

Juniors
It is hard to understand why the show would be edited in such a way. Are they going for shock value? Or are the judges blind?

Junior dominated Victor in all 5 rounds from what what was shown. Les had Nader beaten too. All I can say is - there needs to be more knockouts HAHA

Jungle Boy v Pradeep and Adrian v Kari next week in a double fight episode I reckon.

this show is ridiculous, its so obviously rigged its not even funny... Piper clearly had the points over Nader last week, Junior f**king destroyed Victor (was very impressed with his performance, victor is a world class K.O artist) somehow tho victor came out on top...

Almost a year ago now my brother in law had a few ameatur boxing fights and was training with Ben from the blue team. As you know this show is already finished and ben happened to spill the beans on who is the winner!

You'll never guess it!

St. Brett

Juniors
I gotta confess that when I first heard about The Contender: Australia I almost sh*t a brick.

I knocked it straight away to be truthful.

Out of protest I didn't watch the first episode.

I mean, earlier in the year The Contender 3 was released on Fox 8 right?
This one was based in either Malaysia or Singapore yer?
I watched 2 episodes of it then stopped watching it.
It was uninteresting and that clown from "Who's the Boss" replaced Sugar Ray.
Plus they were only fighting for 500 thousand.
It was uninteresting and had unknown fighters you didn't care about.
I just lost interest and didn't care. It was cheap with no meaning.

Even though I stopped watching it I'd still flick through the channels of a Monday night to see if it was still on.
I believe Fox 8 canned it? It got the ass!
It wasn't listed anymore in the 9:30pm timeslot.
Was The Contender 3 axed from Fox 8?

I don't know why but for some reason I plopped down and watched The Contender: Australia, Episode 2 and found myself warming to it.
It's actually quality viewing.
As menial as they are the "challenges" are back, and refreshing to watch, but in saying that the whole yellow versus blue sh*t...........umm, Boxing is not a team sport alright?
There's no team work in boxing whatsoever!
So it's pointless really.

There are no prizes for guessing who'll win this Australian Contender when it's done and dusted.
You can quote me as saying this that the winner in the end will be PRADEEP SINGH.
Isn't he a cricketer though?

There are a lot of boxers there who shouldn't be.

Sonni. Ben. Josh. Garth. Adrian. Daniel. Nader. Luke. Kariz and Les.

I'll let you in on a little secret with this Contender stuff.
What you see on TV isn't how they normally handle them self in the ring.
A real boxer is conditioned to ten or 12 rounds so to come back to a 5 rounder it's not a true reflection of how they really fight.
Most boxers are showoffs and for this Contender series they want fast paced viewing so they're all looking to knock each other out with their best right hook in the early rounds.
They just want their star to shine knowing that they're on national TV.
Gives 'em more emphasis to try harder.
The're not boxing they're slugging. It's not boxing.
They burn too much energy in the first few rounds trying to look good on TV anyway.

It's classical Rocky Movie Syndrome stuff.
Every Rocky movie fight starts out the same. Bell rings, he'll jab, jab then the right hook bombs start.
That's not boxing.
All these Contender blokes are looking for the KO early.

Now a smart fighter would truly box, yet he'll bore you at the same time and Fox 8 don't want that, either does the crowd.
See, real boxing is boring.
I can see either Pradeep or Hamden winning this thing because they're natural boxers and not showoffs, ok?
I know, I know, I said Hamden doesn't deserve to be here but he knows all the tricks of the trade and he's a natural boxer.
A clever boxer would pick his punches, stick and move, scoring points along the way if he wanted to win this Contender thingy.
It's a very boring style to watch and Nader Hamden is the master of this style so I won't be surprised if he's there at the end.
Problem with Hamden though is he's tired and no power left.

It's all right there, Les Piper, the bald guy in episode 2 said it himself....he said it in a nutshell, "this 5 round crap is rubbish, put him in a real 12 round fight and I'll beat him."

Honestly I thought Piper did enough to win that fight against Hamden.
I had it a draw.

And last night’s decision to award Victor Oganov was atrocious.
Junior Talapou won the first 4 rounds.

Pradeep Signh was right when he stated that there's politics involved last night.

I assume from last night’s preview for next week that Sonni "Jungle Boy" Michael Angelo will be up next fighting.
Don't be fooled by this clowns muscle and intimidation. His record speaks for itself. For such a large imposing figure he's only got 3 knock downs next to his name and is rather lame.
He squandered his talent and is reckless.

I laughed my ass off last night When Sonni turned on Briggs and Briggs started to square up in return not backing down.
See him loosening up?
Can you imagine in the original series of The Contender one of the fighters turning on Stallone and Stallone started to loosen up as well?

And the commercial for next weeks episode has Briggs changing teams and joining the blue team so you know that Jungle Boy is fighting next week and Briggs turns corners.
If I remember correctly Briggs once had a go at Sonni on Friday night fights for the way he was conducting himself.
Was it the Bulli Blaster fight, the head clash stoppage? Briggs said he shouldn't be in the sport and to be banned from future telecasts.
Think Briggs also got mad commentating on the Mundine/Green card for the Keg guy saying they were ripped off.
The last I saw of Briggs he, got knocked out by some old guy a while back.

Last edited:

Latest posts