What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Cumberland throw is back

parra pete

Referee
The Cumberland throw was to grab an attackers arm, drop like an anchor and use the legs to trip the player up.
Allan Langer was an expert except he didn't use his hands, and was often penalised for tripping.

parra pete

Referee
Don't know, can't remember...too recent :lol:
Only have a long term memory these days..can recall things with clarity from 60s, but have trouble remembering what I ate this morning...

guruminga

Juniors
Great read. Been off line for a while while moving house. This was a great first thread back.

Cheers guys and gals

mtngry

Juniors
no, that is a Judo technique, A cumberland throw is From Cumberland and Westmoreland (also Scots Backhold) Wrestling, A form of wrestling where you lose by touching the ground with anything other than your feet.

Are we talking about the Cumberland throw which is Chest to Chest, or Langers leg hooking take down?

Didn't he break his leg trying it?

parra pete

Referee
Alfie was not an exponent of the Cumberland throw...I agree his tackling was more of Judo style.
Ivor, Fred Pickup and Ray Price were the best exponents, that I can remember, of the "Cumberland Throw".
AND I also agree that it was not named Cumberland Throw because of connections with Cumberland Oval, but came from its English 'roots' in Cumberland.
Ivor Lingard and Fred Pickup were both Pommies. Ivor came from Featherstone Rovers and Fred (via Manly) from Leeds....as best I can remember...

sooty

Juniors
Alfie was not an exponent of the Cumberland throw...I agree his tackling was more of Judo style.
Ivor, Fred Pickup and Ray Price were the best exponents, that I can remember, of the "Cumberland Throw".
AND I also agree that it was not named Cumberland Throw because of connections with Cumberland Oval, but came from its English 'roots' in Cumberland.
Ivor Lingard and Fred Pickup were both Pommies. Ivor came from Featherstone Rovers and Fred (via Manly) from Leeds....as best I can remember...

and Jaryd hayne equals maybe the cabramatta throw:sarcasm:

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Don't know, can't remember...too recent
Only have a long term memory these days..can recall things with clarity from 60s, but have trouble remembering what I ate this morning...

jokes.jpg

Lower.jpg

Loud.jpg

Stick.jpg

Showme.jpg