What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The demise of the pivot

Who is the worst 5/8th in recent times?

• Adam Dykes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ben Kusto

• Sean Rudder

• Motu Tony

• Steve Carter

• Ben Ikin

• Other

• Total voters

Alan Shore

First Grade
The role of the 5/8th is virtually gone. No longer is it a quick, skillful man who acts as a second playmaker, but rather, it's now mainly filled by second rowers sadly.

But that's not the point I'm trying to make in this post.

This demise has been a long time coming.

Just look at the rather recent trend of pathetic 5/8ths: Dykes, Kusto (I feel sorry for all those Eels fans), Ikin after injury, Motu Tony, Steve Carter, Sean Rudder, and many, many more! :lol:

Yeah this year really signalled the death of the traditional 5/8. Which is a damn shame cos thats my favourite position. I hope the NRL has a look at the way the modern game is going and modify some damn rules so we can have 5/8 play back. :cry:

Pierced Soul

First Grade
look at the aussie and kiwi test teams...... unfortunately as long as coaches continue to pick people out of position with reasonable success it will continue. the same thing occured when halfbacks were being picked in rep teams......

I guarantee that the kiwi's will pick a proper 5/8 next time after what happened, also not having a proper 5/8 means your f**ked if your half back gets injured...

kaon

Juniors
I think it is a result of clubs focussing on defence. Even though in the past there have been many great 5/8's who were great defenders (Lewis, Daley, etc), coaches want to batter the opposition and hence the need for a physically bigger player. This is forcing more pressure on halfbacks and their role is now much more like a quarter-back in American football.

I think we have seen the last of players like Kenny and co. McLinden reminded me of Kenny but now even he has moved to half.

Kasper

Bench
I would have to say Rudder this bloke just offers nothing. I suppose he hasn't been needed to offer anything when he is playing outside Johns. All he has had to do is pass when captain says so.

Anonymous

Juniors
The options in this poll are ridiculous, for starters you complain about the demise of traditional 5/8ths, then you fill the poll with old school 5/8ths. If you hate these second-rower/stand-offs so much, why not put some in the poll.

Secondly, with the exception of Kusto, everyone else is a fairly high-profile or rep player. Obviously they are not the worst. Did Ben Ikin play State of Origin at 18 because he was the worst stand-off in history? Did Motu Tony play for the Kiwis because he sucked? Was Adam Dykes singled out as a young prodigy because he was hopeless? Did coaches keep picking Steve Carter for 10 years because he was so bad?

Motu Tony isn't even bad, he has all the skills a rugby league player needs. He has a great pass both ways, can kick, very elusive, dangerous runner of the football.