What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The dreaded week off - a negative

Drew-Sta

Staff member
I've been discussing with a few friends the week off and we're all certain that the week off is not a positive for some players. It breeds complacency and falters form.

Both the Panthers and Cowboys will need to be aware of this. I believe the winners of this weeks game will play in the Grand Final.

What are peoples thoughts on this? Smelly smelly bait dangling in front of you all.

ouwet

Bench
I've been discussing with a few friends the week off and we're all certain that the week off is not a positive for some players. It breeds complacency and falters form.

Both the Panthers and Cowboys will need to be aware of this. I believe the winners of this weeks game will play in the Grand Final.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

Cowboys week off:lol:

maple_69

Bench
Lucky you blokes are on the case. Props for going through all the available information and data to come to a fascinating conclusion.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I think it's an advantage for the OAK Penrith Panthers because they're a surprise packet and running on emotion. For the Rabbletohs it's a disadvantage - they've lost in the GF qualifier the last 2 years, the pressure on them to finally make a GF is immense, they've got to be put off by it.

Sleep

Juniors
The last seven winners have all had the week off according to the footy show yesterday.

Danish

Referee
I think this is one of those rugby league myths that when investigated doesn't actually hold up. Like the "beware the side who just sacked their coach" myth.

A week off can only help the panthers with the injury toll. It should help Souths too with a few players carrying niggles.

You could argue that Souths may spend the fortnight getting ahead of themselves after a cake walk first finals game, but any decent coach will have the ability to control that

Blues Riff

Bench
Panthers haven't had a bye for 12 weeks, so it's just what they needed.
May the Bunnies grow fat and lazy, and the others bash the hell out of each other.

yobbo84

First Grade
You could argue that Souths may spend the fortnight getting ahead of themselves after a cake walk first finals game, but any decent coach will have the ability to control that

I think the Maguire spray was for exactly that reason.

Around Origin time when teams have the bye, I think the break is a bad thing. At that stage, most teams are in the groove and are trying to build a bit of momentum. Then you have a couple of players taken from your team to go play Origin and the rest have some time off and come back to play in slightly weakened teams against other slightly weakened teams. It plays havoc with players ability to lift for the following weeks games.

At this time of year, I think it can only be a benefit. If you look at Souths as a case in point, we have several key players that are playing injured atm including Inglis and Burgess. That extra week off should be invaluable for them to get their bodies right for what lies ahead.

If a week off is all you need to kill off your momentum and prevent you from being ready to play a semi final then perhaps you shouldn't be in the finals to begin with. I don't imagine any of the players involved will find that their motivation drops due to a week off.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Since the McIntyre system came in '99....

Sharks L
Eels L

Brisbane W (premiers)
Knights L

Eels W
Knights W (premiers)

NZ W
Broncos L

Penrith W (premiers)
Roosters W

Roosters W
Bulldogs L

Eels L
Dragons L

Bulldogs L
Melbourne W

Manly W
Melbourne W (*)

Manly W (premiers)
Sharks L

Dogs L
Storm W (*)

Dragons W (premiers)
Titans L

Manly W (premiers)
Melbourne L

Melbourne W (premiers)
Bulldogs W

Roosters W (premiers)
Souths L

---------------------

So 10 out of 15 teams who get the week off win the comp.

Last time a team won without a week off was Broncos in '06.

big hit!

Bench
What about the McIntyre 5 where the minor premier could also get 2 weeks off in finals - wk 1 where 2v3 and 4v5, and then week 3 if they won the major semi in wk 2 against the winner of 2v3 in week 1.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Cowboys week off:lol:

Lucky you blokes are on the case. Props for going through all the available information and data to come to a fascinating conclusion.

Still butthurt by 2005 Drew?

Since the McIntyre system came in '99....

Sharks L
Eels L

Brisbane W (premiers)
Knights L

Eels W
Knights W (premiers)

NZ W
Broncos L

Penrith W (premiers)
Roosters W

Roosters W
Bulldogs L

Eels L
Dragons L

Bulldogs L
Melbourne W

Manly W
Melbourne W (*)

Manly W (premiers)
Sharks L

Dogs L
Storm W (*)

Dragons W (premiers)
Titans L

Manly W (premiers)
Melbourne L

Melbourne W (premiers)
Bulldogs W

Roosters W (premiers)
Souths L

---------------------

So 10 out of 15 teams who get the week off win the comp.

Last time a team won without a week off was Broncos in '06.

:lol: You guys are no fun. Can't you let an amateur troll get his runs on the board so he can join the great ones?

Assholes - ruining all my excellent groundwork. :lol: