What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The effect of the Broncos in the 80s on the QRL

littleduck

Juniors
What should have happened is
- North Brisbane @ Lang Park
- South Brisbane @ QEII Stadium (built 1982 so it existed)
- Gold Coast @ Cararra or Broadbeach (perhaps build a stadium on the site of the new GC Convention Centre)
- North Queensland @ Willows

3 competitive SEQ teams could have drawn their players from the existing BRL and rivalries developed from day one that would ultimately replace the existing BRL rivalries. This would occur as 2 or 3 or 4 BRL clubs would form an alliance with their local ARL team, ie southside BRL teams align with the South Brisbane ARL team at QEII, northside BRL teams align with the North Brisbane ARL team at QEII. Also, local clubs in Central/North Qld could align with the Cowboys, and GC based RL teams align with the Gold Coast ARL team.

This would have created a clear career path for future players, would preserve the importance of existing BRL clubs as feeder clubs, while maintaining an intra-city rivalry which RL in Brisbane now misses.

Also, Sydney-based clubs needed to be financially induced to relocate in Adelaide and Perth and Melbourne.

littleduck

Juniors
Why cant I edit? thats stupid. I always have 2nd thoughts or miss something.

Was going to say that all 3 SEQ clubs needed to be admitted to the NSWRL (ARL) comp all at the same time to capitalise on the number of talented players in the BRL at the time and to maintain the interest for RL in SEQ. ie to transform existing support for BRL clubs to ARL clubs.

Also, the part about inducing Sydney-based clubs to relocate to Melb or Perth or Adel also includes encouraging joint ventures of Sydney-based clubs that would allow for a virgin team in Melb or Adel or Perth.

realredhillboy

Juniors
i think this is a bloody fantastic thread! i can understand how the courier mail and free to air tv has contributed to state of the local comp.
what about individuals such as paul morgan,shane edwards,wayne bennett,john ribot and ross livermore.
i understand cullen and bennett both have links to toowoomba, does this explain why a brisbane- city based nrl team has a country feeder club?

Ari Gold

Bench
seems like things are slowly on the way up... brisbane averaged 30000+ this year, and the QLD Cup is on FTA now...

Latest posts