What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The field goal - get rid of it completely?

May as well IMO that's the best solution to golden point debate and games ending in farcical field goal shoot outs.

You only get one point for a field goal so it won't be missed. I loved how Manly brushed the field goal today when leading by 6 late against the Warriors, isn't that what fans want to see? Manly fans probably wanted the 1 point but I loved the attempt at a repeat set which is what the game is about.

Attempting a field goal on tackle one in GP just about cost Cronulla. It's not Rugby Yawnion we don't need the field goal.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Topball Steeden Apex.

Wests Tigers have lost plenty of GP games.

Nah.

You're right.

Remove penalty goals and conversions as well.

And tries.

And respect for holding onto the ball.

Change the field to an oval of variable size.

Remove the crossbar.

Add another post either side of the existing ones.

Give the whole 6 points to kicks between the original ones and a point for being close.

Woohoo...

user_nat

Coach
I do prefer the idea of entirely removing it opposed to removing it from GP.

I'm pretty happy with things the way they are though.

cleary89

Coach
get rid of penalty goals too? how about we introduce the mod league rule, 3 point tries for under 2 passes and 5 point tries for 2+. I know everyone wants to see fluky tries after 1000 passes, phil gould told me so.

M2D2

Bench
If only you could do that to the whole forum and the forum would be a better place.

Chip Bayless

Juniors
I'd like;

- Draws during the regular season and
- Sudden Death in the finals (Golden Try preferrable, though Golden Point I'd settle for).

Today's game featuring the Tigers and Sharks was an example where a draw would've been the right result IMO.

rabbitohs95

Bench
Honestly i think getting rid of Golden POINT is better and change it to Golden Try, i mean a team can secure a victory with a field goal near the end of a match but when the scores are even in extra time it's so easy just to take 4 hits ups in the middle of the field and boot a field goal, Golden Try would be much more entertaining.

Diesel

Coach
Long live the field goal!

3 of 5 finals games have been won by 1 point while another another needed the one point goal to take the win over two converted tries.

Last edited:

BTown324

Juniors
Easy peasy. Regular season games allow draws for a point each.

Finals games have 2 x 5 min golden try halves and if still no score Then golden point until a winner.

Sorted.

Sphagnum

Coach
Let's be honest, if there was no field goal, blokes like Cooper cronk and Adam Reynolds would never have played first grade

Latest posts