What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Final Four

T-Boon

Coach
If you look at NCAA basketball marketing of the final four (on now in Minneanoplis) it is a pretty good look at how to put on a show. I would imagine Minny has paid a fortune for the right to host the games.

Today they are playing the semi finals and monday (tuesday our time) they play the final, but the show they put on around it is huge.

I wonder how much the NRL could get for selling the two semis and the GF to a city like Brisbane, Perth or Melbourne. Get that tourism for a week in your city.

Cdd

Juniors
The NRL semi finals and final are fine as they are. It’s the play-offs games before that which need work.

Too many of them are poor crowds for play-off games.

Cdd

Juniors
I am always aiming for better than "fine".

My point is that they’re usually sell outs and so is the final.

Focus on the games that don’t currently sell out.

I do think it’s time to move the final around and have cities bidding for it though. Would be a huge event for Brisbane, Melbourne or Perth to host it.

I’d do the same with Origin. SOO can’t get any bigger than it already is in Sydney and Brisbane.

It should be on the road every year even after the Perth and Adelaide games, i’d Like to see it go to Auckland and then London.

Perth Red

Post Whore
My point is that they’re usually sell outs and so is the final.

Focus on the games that don’t currently sell out.

I do think it’s time to move the final around and have cities bidding for it though. Would be a huge event for Brisbane, Melbourne or Perth to host it.

I’d do the same with Origin. SOO can’t get any bigger than it already is in Sydney and Brisbane.

It should be on the road every year even after the Perth and Adelaide games, i’d Like to see it go to Auckland and then London.

I'm a bit torn about GF moving. On one hand keeping it in Sydney isa just a throwback and very narrow minded view of the games reach. It continues to make it look parochial to NSW.
On the flip side Sydney isn't travelling all that well in terms of interest in the game and we can ill afford to make people less interested which this may do. Maybe every 4th year would be a good compromise.

One thing I thought was really poor was how little promotion and interest in Sydney there was in the GF when I went to one a few years ago. Walking through Sydney cbd and the tourist spots the days leading up to it you wouldn't have known there was a major sports event due to be played. Something Sydney could learn from Melbourne. Go to Melbourne on week leading up to their GF or F1 race and the whole city centre is awash with promotion and events.

T-Boon

Coach
I am all in on it getting moved.
Sydney does not deserve it in any way shape or form.
Allow cities to bid for it and throw the 2 semi's in for an addition 10mill.