What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Footy's Back, f**k Yeah!! Rd 1 all the shit teams

Basil Brush

Juniors
The Footy Show is worse than ever. Cheap set. Erin should not be the host and Beau Ryan needs a punch in the head.

Where’s Sterlo? I thought he was back an Nine?
I don't like to be a footy show basher as that is too easy but this new panel/format is terrible.

I never thought i would ever miss Fatty but at least he was occasionally funny.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Painfully obvious that Bennett has screwed up in not replacing Hunt with a noted half.

Nikorima isn’t a half, he’s a utility at best, and Milford is the definition of inconsistent. No stable controlling half to be seen...
You don't need a controlling half if you've got a simple game plan.

There's 12 other blokes on the field. If everyone knows the game plan what's left to control?
Surely if a team does the same thing every time then what they do becomes less effective. And you have said that we became a better team with Moses because we had two kickers. So why didn't we just adopt a simple game plan before we got him? Why have halves at all? Save a ton of money and get a heap of fat forwards.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Surely if a team does the same thing every time then what they do becomes less effective. And you have said that we became a better team with Moses because we had two kickers. So why didn't we just adopt a simple game plan before we got him? Why have halves at all? Save a ton of money and get a heap of fat forwards.
Because every game plan lies on a complexity continuum, where at one end is the simplest game plan and at the other end is the most complex game plan. Both ends of this continuum have pros and cons, and both ends require certain types of player to make them work. Plenty of teams have simple game plans these days, because with the physical requirements placed on every defender there is less scope to find halves who can do everything in attack.

Cooper Cronk achieved everything in the game wearing number 7 and he isn't an organising half. He made a career on being fast and strong and able to tackle. Then he just learned how to kick. The Dragons won a premiership with Hornby playing the same way, and then the Cowboys almost did it with Morgan last year. These teams just play it simple and execute well.

Because every game plan lies on a complexity continuum, where at one end is the simplest game plan and at the other end is the most complex game plan. Both ends of this continuum have pros and cons, and both ends require certain types of player to make them work. Plenty of teams have simple game plans these days, because with the physical requirements placed on every defender there is less scope to find halves who can do everything in attack.

Cooper Cronk achieved everything in the game wearing number 7 and he isn't an organising half. He made a career on being fast and strong and able to tackle. Then he just learned how to kick. The Dragons won a premiership with Hornby playing the same way, and then the Cowboys almost did it with Morgan last year. These teams just play it simple and execute well.
But then why have expensive halves, if all game plans are equal, depending upon players? That would just concentrate strength in one area, which could be devastating with injury. And although the cowboys did make the gf that's a small sample size, and besides, Morgan was the best player in the comp the last couple of months.

lucablight

First Grade
Sorry Pou but I think you’re oversimplifying here. I can’t think of a single team that has won a premiership without at least one controlling half and the Broncos don’t have that. To say that Cronk lacks organisational ability and just kicks and tackles without any ball playing ability/skill is just plain wrong. He is a very complete player.
The year the Dragons won the competition they didn’t just have Hornby but Soward as well who had a very good kicking game.
There is no magical simple plan that negates the need for at least one controlling half. It is a must to win a premiership.

Sorry Pou but I think you’re oversimplifying here. I can’t think of a single team that has won a premiership without at least one controlling half and the Broncos don’t have that. To say that Cronk lacks organisational ability and just kicks and tackles without any ball playing ability/skill is just plain wrong. He is a very complete player.
The year the Dragons won the competition they didn’t just have Hornby but Soward as well who had a very good kicking game.
There is no magical simple plan that negates the need for at least one controlling half. It is a must to win a premiership.
#CamInfinity+1 has said himself that it was Cronk controlling the team.

hindy111

Post Whore
The Footy Show is worse than ever. Cheap set. Erin should not be the host and Beau Ryan needs a punch in the head.

Where’s Sterlo? I thought he was back an Nine?

Beau Ryan is a grub. Find mentally challenged people or people with low education from lower class areas and pokes fun at them while everyone laughs? Thats not comedy that is just being a shit person.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Donkeys were arse, too many dropped balls, forwards didn't roll their sleeves up, and they were left with going back to the wide shifts to get out their own end, which they probably had as their game plan anyway , but when you can't hold onto the pill that aint gonna win you games. Though I don't see they have much choice, cause their pack is gonna get dominated often, Pangai Jnr and Lodge were the only bodies that made any real dent on the line.

Telling how much the Dragons jumped ahead in the second half once they started hanging onto the ball and taking advantage of the field position on offer. Donkeys have got some real problems that if they don't get sorted, will see them miss the eight.

emjaycee

Coach
Telling how much the Dragons jumped ahead in the second half once they started hanging onto the ball and taking advantage of the field position on offer. Donkeys have got some real problems that if they don't get sorted, will see them miss the eight.

And that would probably be the 2nd best thing to see on the ladder after 25 rounds.