What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Footy's Back, f**k Yeah!! Rd 1 all the shit teams

parraeel

Juniors
Beau Ryan is a grub. Find mentally challenged people or people with low education from lower class areas and pokes fun at them while everyone laughs? Thats not comedy that is just being a shit person.

What I find hypocritical from the media and PC fanatics is that this behaviour is FAR more disgusting and bad look for the game then bubbler incidents , and other stupid stuff done by players that make headlines . But when someone is in the media they can do far worse crap and gets celebrated

Gronk

Staff member
Beau Ryan is a grub. Find mentally challenged people or people with low education from lower class areas and pokes fun at them while everyone laughs? Thats not comedy that is just being a shit person.
The Footy Show have been doing this for decades. Go back to Reg Regan at Church St Mall seeking out merkins with deminished mental capacity for lols. Agree lowest form of entertainment.

I haven't watched for 10 years and will never watch again.

Basil Brush

Juniors
Third best,

The first is obvious

The second is a bottom three made up of the Donkeys the Dogs and Manlyscum, in no particular order.

Although I do lean towards a preference of the donkeys taking out the spoon
And melb missing the 8 as well. My 4 most despised clubs.

Snoochies

First Grade
I'll stand alone here but I didn't mind the new format of the Footy show. They actually spoke about football, I enjoyed getting insights from the players even though it was Slater but I'd rather hear them talk about the game rather than hear what their favourite colour or song was.
To be fair, they could have changed the format and still kept Fatty there, definitely don't gain anything with Molan. I could live without Beau on the show.

Oscarman

Juniors
Broncos have been boring to watch since Renouf retired. All they do is run it up, kick and hope the opposition makes a mistake. Roberts or Oates will occasionally make a break and there is also #penaltybroncos to help them. Not forgetting only one 5 day break of course.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But then why have expensive halves, if all game plans are equal, depending upon players? That would just concentrate strength in one area, which could be devastating with injury. And although the cowboys did make the gf that's a small sample size, and besides, Morgan was the best player in the comp the last couple of months.
Just because a half isn’t an ‘organiser’ doesn’t mean he’s not a key player. These guys handle the ball the most and do all the kicking. If they’re using a simple game plan it’s to get the ball in their hands after a quick play-the-ball.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Sorry Pou but I think you’re oversimplifying here. I can’t think of a single team that has won a premiership without at least one controlling half and the Broncos don’t have that. To say that Cronk lacks organisational ability and just kicks and tackles without any ball playing ability/skill is just plain wrong. He is a very complete player.
You’re confusing organising with playmaking. Playmaking is creating tries and linebreaks. Even BJ Leilua does plenty of that. ‘Organising’ means making decisions at certain points of the game depending on the complexity of the game plan.

Obviously the simpler the game plan the less of this is required. For very complex game plans there is much more of this required from the halves. So it’s not a matter of organising half vs non organising half. Every halfback (even every player) is able to make decisions within the scope of a game plan. The question is how much complexity they can handle, not a simple binary of yes he can vs no he can’t ‘organise’.
The year the Dragons won the competition they didn’t just have Hornby but Soward as well who had a very good kicking game.
There is no magical simple plan that negates the need for at least one controlling half. It is a must to win a premiership.
The point is that every half can ‘organise’. They’re just not all equally good at it, just like they can all kick, run, pass and tackle. Saying that doesn’t mean they all have the same level of talent (at kicking, running, etc), so why would you limit your description of them to organising vs non-organising? It’s arbitrary and simplistic.

Glenneel

Bench
There's 12 other blokes on the field. If everyone knows the game plan what's left to control?
Trouble is Pou the other team doesn't sometimes play to YOUR game plan therefor you need organisers. I hardly knew Nikorima was on the field such was his non involvement, maybe playing to Bennett's game plan copied from Dessies game plan for Dogs last year. Maybe Bennett thinks he'll be more successful doing something different this year, sure worked for Dessie last year.

Glenneel

Bench
Based on last nites performance the Broncos are shit and will miss the 8 but I'm sure Bennett will change something. Probably bring in the Parra halfback they acquired (can't think of his name) as Nikorima was invisible last nite.
Pangai Jnr was very good with Lodge probably the next best but generally their forwards were average and as the match went on they were dominated. Very good for the Dragons was Hunt who was brilliant and played probably better than he did for the donkeys.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
#CamInfinity+1 has said himself that it was Cronk controlling the team.
I'm sure he was. My point is that with the way the Storm play he didn't have much organising to do. This year Bellamy was happy to replace him with a kid who isn't even 21. His halves partner is a converted fullback. The Storm played it very simple with Cronk in the team and they will probably play even simpler with Brodie Croft. Just like Munster, his job will be to go to the line with support runners when the game plan dictates and kick when the game plan says to do that.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Trouble is Pou the other team doesn't sometimes play to YOUR game plan therefor you need organisers. I hardly knew Nikorima was on the field such was his non involvement, maybe playing to Bennett's game plan copied from Dessies game plan for Dogs last year. Maybe Bennett thinks he'll be more successful doing something different this year, sure worked for Dessie last year.
You need halves that can kick, tackle, run and pass. Once you've got all that you can look for a better 'organiser', but the evolution of the game over recent decades shows there isn't a huge need for it. If you have such a player you can use it and if you don't you just play to your other strengths.

Kornstar

Coach

The flip-side to that is those people think they are celebrities now and all the people they know would be jealous as f**k!

15 seconds of fame.

Just some thoughts, not saying i agree with it.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Footy Show is destined to fail again, I think.

First of all, it's on so late that no one but hardline footy fans who continue on from the footy will watch this. How can a school kid or someone with a job watch this show?

Second, let's be honest. The comedy is pretty shit. There's no letterman here. Why would anyone watch this show for entertainment?

I'm predicting that the show will fail. Everyone will blame Molan eventhough it's not her fault. If they want a Thursday footy show to succeed then have it on the 6:30 to 7:30 slot. If they're worried about the shopping crowds then remove it from Thursday all together.

lucablight

First Grade
You’re confusing organising with playmaking. Playmaking is creating tries and linebreaks. Even BJ Leilua does plenty of that. ‘Organising’ means making decisions at certain points of the game depending on the complexity of the game plan.

Obviously the simpler the game plan the less of this is required. For very complex game plans there is much more of this required from the halves. So it’s not a matter of organising half vs non organising half. Every halfback (even every player) is able to make decisions within the scope of a game plan. The question is how much complexity they can handle, not a simple binary of yes he can vs no he can’t ‘organise’.
The point is that every half can ‘organise’. They’re just not all equally good at it, just like they can all kick, run, pass and tackle. Saying that doesn’t mean they all have the same level of talent (at kicking, running, etc), so why would you limit your description of them to organising vs non-organising? It’s arbitrary and simplistic.

I’m not really sure what you’re getting at. Are you saying it’s no longer necessary for halves to have a good decision making skills as long as they stick to a pre-rehearsed “simple” game plan? Are you saying Cooper Cronk didn’t have to make big decisions during games because the Storm game plan was so simple?
Regardless of what you’re getting at I think you need at least one half who has a good kicking and passing game for things like controlling field position, getting repeat sets, getting their team mates running the right lines (i.e organising) and can also set up tries through their kicking and passing games by creating line breaks and tries as you say (i.e playmaking). You need both. Milford and Nikorima both seem to be primarily running players who don’t have the skill set to be organisers/playmakers. My point of contention with you is that you seem to be suggesting that skill isn’t necessary if you follow a certain “simple” gameplan. That’s just wrong.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I’m not really sure what you’re getting at. Are you saying it’s no longer necessary for halves to have a good decision making skills as long as they stick to a pre-rehearsed “simple” game plan? Are you saying Cooper Cronk didn’t have to make big decisions during games because the Storm game plan was so simple?
I'm saying that in the modern game there are more important traits than 'organising' and if a half doesn't make it in first grade it's not because he is poor at game management. Likewise a team without quality game managers can focus on its other strengths and still win the competition.
Regardless of what you’re getting at I think you need at least one half who has a good kicking and passing game for things like controlling field position, getting repeat sets, getting their team mates running the right lines (i.e organising) and can also set up tries through their kicking and passing games by creating line breaks and tries as you say (i.e playmaking). You need both. Milford and Nikorima both seem to be primarily running players who don’t have the skill set to be organisers/playmakers. My point of contention with you is that you seem to be suggesting that skill isn’t necessary if you follow a certain “simple” gameplan. That’s just wrong.
On the contrary, the simpler your game plan the more skill your playmakers need, because they will be the ones you rely on to create tries and linebreaks on those rare opportunities where the defence has made a mistake. More complex game plans aim to give the defence more opportunities to make mistakes but the flip side is that you need players able to spot those opportunities in advance and then capitalise on them by making the right decision.

So I think we're talking about two different skills yet you're calling them the same thing. I see it like this:

Playmaking: the ability to threaten the defence and create a try or linebreak for your supports, via running, passing and/or kicking

Organising: the ability to 'outwit' the defence by forcing them to concentrate in one part of the field and then sending the ball to where the attack has the advantage

I believe the former skill is more important in the modern game, as proven by the way teams are recruited and selected. Getting too clever with 'organising' can just lead to confusing your own team mates while the defence stays in control of the ruck, buying time to continue getting their numbers right. This is why control of the ruck has become the main goal of nearly every tackle - because if the defence can force a slow play-the-ball then 'organising' becomes worthless, and likewise, if the attack can generate a quick play-the-ball then you only need to get the ball into the hands of a good playmaker (like Cronk).

I will caveat this by saying that organising is still a useful skill (and why halves are all still taught it and practice it) because the ability to send the ball where the defence is weakest can lead to the most frequent quick play-the-balls. This is why the key to a strong defence is hard working middle forwards, not a bunch of fat Junior Paulos. With toiling middle forwards like Mannah and Alvaro you are more likely to get numbers into any given tackle across the field, giving up fewer quick play-the-balls.

You need halves that can kick, tackle, run and pass. Once you've got all that you can look for a better 'organiser', but the evolution of the game over recent decades shows there isn't a huge need for it. If you have such a player you can use it and if you don't you just play to your other strengths.
Exactly. Just like our last dozen odd games in 2016.

lucablight

First Grade
I'm saying that in the modern game there are more important traits than 'organising' and if a half doesn't make it in first grade it's not because he is poor at game management. Likewise a team without quality game managers can focus on its other strengths and still win the competition.

On the contrary, the simpler your game plan the more skill your playmakers need, because they will be the ones you rely on to create tries and linebreaks on those rare opportunities where the defence has made a mistake. More complex game plans aim to give the defence more opportunities to make mistakes but the flip side is that you need players able to spot those opportunities in advance and then capitalise on them by making the right decision.

So I think we're talking about two different skills yet you're calling them the same thing. I see it like this:

Playmaking: the ability to threaten the defence and create a try or linebreak for your supports, via running, passing and/or kicking

Organising: the ability to 'outwit' the defence by forcing them to concentrate in one part of the field and then sending the ball to where the attack has the advantage

I believe the former skill is more important in the modern game, as proven by the way teams are recruited and selected. Getting too clever with 'organising' can just lead to confusing your own team mates while the defence stays in control of the ruck, buying time to continue getting their numbers right. This is why control of the ruck has become the main goal of nearly every tackle - because if the defence can force a slow play-the-ball then 'organising' becomes worthless, and likewise, if the attack can generate a quick play-the-ball then you only need to get the ball into the hands of a good playmaker (like Cronk).

I will caveat this by saying that organising is still a useful skill (and why halves are all still taught it and practice it) because the ability to send the ball where the defence is weakest can lead to the most frequent quick play-the-balls. This is why the key to a strong defence is hard working middle forwards, not a bunch of fat Junior Paulos. With toiling middle forwards like Mannah and Alvaro you are more likely to get numbers into any given tackle across the field, giving up fewer quick play-the-balls.

Regardless of the definition of playmaker/organiser I think we can both agree that you need to be a competent if not great kicker/passer to be able to do these things effectively (i.e playmaking/organising).
My initial point was that the Broncos have two halves who aren’t great at kicking/passing because their games are primarily based around running the ball. You cannot win a premiership with both halves who can only run the ball if at least one of them isn’t at least an above average kicker/passer of the ball. No amount of “simple” gameplans can overcome the lack of skill in your halves.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Regardless of the definition of playmaker/organiser I think we can both agree that you need to be a competent if not great kicker/passer to be able to do these things effectively (i.e playmaking/organising).
My initial point was that the Broncos have two halves who aren’t great at kicking/passing because their games are primarily based around running the ball. You cannot win a premiership with both halves who can only run the ball if at least one of them isn’t at least an above average kicker/passer of the ball. No amount of “simple” gameplans can overcome the lack of skill in your halves.
I agree you need two good kickers, or at least one great one and one decent one. But as for passing, it's a skill every player has to some degree and I'd suggest every half in the NRL is at least good at passing. It's an easy skill to develop just through repetition. Where passing becomes noticeable is in the playmaking sense, putting merkins through gaps. I understand this is what you're talking about with Milford and Nikorima, but you should be aware that Milford puts on plenty of linebreaks for his support runners and the reason is because his own running game commits defenders and creates space for his team mates. Which is why every good playmaker has a good running game even if he doesn't make many linebreaks himself.

Milford is a great runner of the ball, and not passing is the high percentage option, so it's understandable that he is more likely to run himself than risk a turnover with a risky pass. Corey Norman is the same. Often they hold the ball because testing the defence themselves is the better option. For a less capable running half they will conversely be less likely to run and more likely to pass and then merkins say he's better at passing. Not necessarily the case - he just passed because it was the better option than relying on his own abiltiy to challenge the defence. Passing always leads to more turnovers than running. Most people will blame the bloke dropping the ball when the fact is he was thrown a low percentage pass by a playmaker who didn't trust his own running game.

emjaycee

Coach
So what is wrong with this promo image from nrl.com website?

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-9_18-2-12.png
    upload_2018-3-9_18-2-12.png
    132.9 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts