What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The future of Rugby League is in China

The future of Rugby League is in the expansion of the game to China. I've always believed that China is vital to the NRL's future prosperity. To ignore the largest consumer market in the world for a select few countries is idiocy at its finest.

Rugby League needs a truly global audience if it hopes to survive. By expanding the game to China, it's exposing Rugby to an audience that would never have been interested in the game.

Expanding to China must be in the future of Rugby League. Otherwise, the game will become nothing more than a sideshow attraction compared to other sports making their mark in Australia.

You're welcome.

greenBV4

Bench
The future of Rugby League is in the expansion of the game to China. I've always believed that China is vital to the NRL's future prosperity. To ignore the largest consumer market in the world for a select few countries is idiocy at its finest.

Rugby League needs a truly global audience if it hopes to survive. By expanding the game to China, it's exposing Rugby to an audience that would never have been interested in the game.

Expanding to China must be in the future of Rugby League. Otherwise, the game will become nothing more than a sideshow attraction compared to other sports making their mark in Australia.

You're welcome.
Im sure many sports would like to crack into the chinese market but as far as I'm aware many have failed - im not sure rugby league with its track record would have any chance..

But yeah your right, expanding the game into Asia needs to be attemped at some stage - Could start by spliting up the asia/pacific conference to guarantee 1 or 2 spots to Asian teams in the RLWC

The Great Dane

First Grade
The NRL trying to do anything in China in the current geopolitical environment would be absolute madness. The CCP almost certainly wouldn't be receptive unless they could use it for political leverage, and you'd almost certainly see a backlash to the idea amongst the public here in Australia.

If the NRL wanted to have a real crack at China then the time to do it was 7-8 years ago when Huawei was backing moves to get the Raiders to play games in Shenzhen and were receptive to supporting other ideas, but the NRL refused to even entertain any of those ideas.

Trying to grow in most of the rest of Asia would be a good idea though, assuming that it's feasible of course.

T-Boon

Coach
The large Chinese population in Australia might help the game make inroads in China. Get the Chinese Australians involved and all of a sudden there's people who can take the game to China.

Given how the NRL is biggest where asian/chinese/Indian communities are also biggest (western sydney) it has always baffled me that the clubs don't do more to try to get them to games and get them playing.
I would leave no stone unturned in my endeavors.
I would state outrageous goals like to have 10 chinese heritage players in the NRL within 5 years and 20 within 10 years.
I would give free memberships and/or bombard schools with big asian populations (Fairfield Patrician for example) with free tickets.
Etc.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Come on it took us 90 years to get the PI's involved to any great level and they are built for the game. How long do you think it would take us to reach into China lol?

T-Boon

Coach
Come on it took us 90 years to get the PI's involved to any great level and they are built for the game. How long do you think it would take us to reach into China lol?

The game didn't always suit the PI's. Once changes were made so that it did they have blossomed.
Maybe if we change some things to suit the asian body type we could get them into it.

Given how the NRL is biggest where asian/chinese/Indian communities are also biggest (western sydney) it has always baffled me that the clubs don't do more to try to get them to games and get them playing.
I would leave no stone unturned in my endeavors.
I would state outrageous goals like to have 10 chinese heritage players in the NRL within 5 years and 20 within 10 years.
I would give free memberships and/or bombard schools with big asian populations (Fairfield Patrician for example) with free tickets.
Etc.
The Dragons could become the de facto team for the Chinese. Change the logo to a traditional Chinese Dragon. Red jersey, same colour as the Chinese flag. Maybe replace the white with yellow so it really ties in with the Chinese flag. It could become the biggest club in the country. Maybe drop the "St George Illawarra" and replace it with "Southern", so it is vague enough to represent every Chinese community in Australia.

T-Boon

Coach
The Dragons could become the de facto team for the Chinese. Change the logo to a traditional Chinese Dragon. Red jersey, same colour as the Chinese flag. Maybe replace the white with yellow so it really ties in with the Chinese flag. It could become the biggest club in the country. Maybe drop the "St George Illawarra" and replace it with "Southern", so it is vague enough to represent every Chinese community in Australia.

I suggested this a couple years ago when it was chinese year of the dragon. They could have at least had a chinese round.
edit: actually it was in relation to the year of the Rooster a couple of years ago now that I think about it.
The NRL has a lot of clubs that line up with Chinese years:
Tiger, Dragon, Rooster, Horse (Broncos), Rabbit, Rat (Melbourne Storm).

Last edited:

taipan

Referee

The PIs were earlier devoted to RU.One of the reasons they are involved here, because rl has a far higher profile, and better money earning opportunities.In addition getting teh NZ Warriors involved did a hell of a lot to get more involved.

Pippen94

First Grade
China has decided soccer will be it's sport although I remember something about Rugby getting support from government. In any case, anything else won't get look in.
Nigeria could be future of league...

greenBV4

Bench
China has decided soccer will be it's sport although I remember something about Rugby getting support from government. In any case, anything else won't get look in.
Nigeria could be future of league...
We should definately be trying to grow the sport in Asia but probably not so much China

How controlling is union in Japan? Could be worth trying to covert a few there. There's also the more "western" city states like Hong Kong and Singapore. Maybe Taiwan to stick it to China if they wouldn't allow funding/support. Then there's also Indonesia - Imagine a NRL team based in Bali haha

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
We should definately be trying to grow the sport in Asia but probably not so much China

How controlling is union in Japan? Could be worth trying to covert a few there. There's also the more "western" city states like Hong Kong and Singapore. Maybe Taiwan to stick it to China if they wouldn't allow funding. Then there's also Indonesia - Imagine a NRL team based in Bali haha

Probably need to make the rules more suitable for smaller players.

greenBV4

Bench
Probably need to make the rules more suitable for smaller players.
not necessarily - if its asian players playing asian players then theres no need - its not like anyone from these countries would be challenging the Australian side in a LONGG time, nor would they be flooding NRL teams in mass - but its still worth targeting having domestic leagues in these countries

Plus not EVERY asian is a smaller build

adamkungl

Immortal
According to Wikipedia, the average height of a man from Beijing (arguably the most developed part of China?) is the same as Australia - 175cm, with China as a whole coming in at 169cm, likely due to relatively low wealth and nutrition standards in poorer parts of the massive country.
Certainly of the many Chinese Australians I know there are enough big and tall blokes to form a decent front row.

I'd suggest some of the stereotypes about Chinese and Asian people getting thrown around this thread and similar conversations are from people who have NFI.

I watched an Indian rep side play last year and they had big, dominant forwards and centres.
Japans growth in Rugby Union has been fascinating to watch. They played the last World Cup with an almost League-like tenacity to attacking play.
Thailand and Philippines both have strong teams in the heritage RL scene around Sydney and Brisbane, and both have fledgling developments in those home countries - hopefully those take the next steps up to International membership in the next couple of years and we can see them in the WC Qualifiers.

Sport can be used to build some political bridges. Avoiding China due to political tensions is backwards thinking. And planting the seeds of a small sport is unlikely to attract any real political attention anyway, more likely the usual interference from local Rugby Union.

Paul Broughton has been recently posting on Twitter about some trials in China. A Chinese team has been invited to play in a World Nines event in Samoa in March 2021.

China is enormous, and varied. It should be treated more like a continent than a country. If I had the money and influence to start something, I would focus on 1 or 2 modern city regions with established international schools and influences. Even mid-sized cities in China have 5M+ people, more than enough for any fledgling organisation to bite off.
Start with 2 cities, find anyone keen to play, expats to back the venture with some knowledge and existing RL connections.
Season 1, best of 3 series between the 2 cities.
Seasons 2-4, build up more localised teams within those cities to form small competitions. Pick the City rep teams from those.

Don't expect the NRL to do anything btw, they can't see further than western sydney.

East Asians are growing taller now that they're introducing more protein to their diet. Their problem isn't height related. Body definition is what sets them back.

The knee to hip angle of east Asians is different to whites and blacks, which adds more curvature to their femurs and makes them weaker.

It may not be PC to say, but it is well known within the scientific community that east Asians have the largest brains in the world, which forces them to have a different shaped pelvis to make room for delivery during birth. It's why they don't fare too well in athletics. Whites are in the middle, having smaller brains than east Asians, but much larger than west Africans. It's why whites run faster than east Asians, but are not anywhere as fast as Jamaicans, who are of west African origin.

The knee to hip angle of West Africans is perfect for running and allows them to build more muscle, as it is better equipped to support a larger frame. ACL injuries are far more common among women than men because they have a much wider pelvis, which places more stress on their knees as it makes their gait less stable. The differences between the races may not be as extreme, but they still have an impact on performance.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S016028960200137X

Intelligence
Volume 31, Issue 2, March–April 2003, Pages 139-155
Brain size, IQ, and racial-group differences: Evidence from musculoskeletal traits
Author links open overlay panelJ.PhilippeRushtonElizabeth W.Rushton
https://doi.org/10.1016/S0160-2896(02)00137-X
Get rights and content
Abstract
A review of the world literature on brain size and IQ by Rushton [Rushton, J. P. (1995). Race, evolution, and behavior: a life history perspective. New Brunswick, NJ: Transaction] found that African-descended people (Blacks) average cranial capacities of 1267 cm3, European-descended people (Whites) 1347 cm3, and East Asian-descended people (East Asians) 1364 cm3. These brain size differences, containing millions of brain cells and hundreds of millions of synapses, were hypothesized to underlie the race differences on IQ tests, in which Blacks average an IQ of 85, Whites 100, and East Asians 106. The validity of the race differences in brain size, however, continues to be disputed. In the present study, the race differences in brain size are correlated with 37 musculoskeletal variables shown in standard evolutionary textbooks to change systematically with increments in brain size. The 37 variables include cranial traits (such as jaw size and shape, tooth size and shape, muscle attachment sites, and orbital bone indentations), and postcranial traits (such as pelvic width, thighbone curvature, and knee joint surface area). Across the three populations, the “ecological correlations” [Jensen, A. R. (1998). The g factor. Westport, CT: Praeger] between brain size and the 37 morphological traits averaged a remarkable r = .94; ρ = .94. If the races did not differ in brain size, these correlations could not have been found. It must be concluded that the race differences in average brain size are securely established. As such, brain size-related variables provide the most likely biological mediators of the race differences in intelligence.​

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
If I was going to launch RL in China it would be through touch footy and then Nines. Both of those variations of RL are much cheaper, easier and suited to new frontier development. I reckon Touch Footy would take off like wildfire if it got Govt backing. The the step up to tackle via Nines which is faster, more suited to smaller frames and easier to pull teams together for. In fact the RLIF should be using both of these forms of RL as the main vehicles for game growth in emerging countries.

adamkungl

Immortal
If I was going to launch RL in China it would be through touch footy and then Nines. Both of those variations of RL are much cheaper, easier and suited to new frontier development. I reckon Touch Footy would take off like wildfire if it got Govt backing. The the step up to tackle via Nines which is faster, more suited to smaller frames and easier to pull teams together for. In fact the RLIF should be using both of these forms of RL as the main vehicles for game growth in emerging countries.

I think there's very limited evidence of touch footy actually translating into RL players of fans. As a development vehicle, I don't see much use for it other than maybe putting the name of the sport out there, and nice looking statistics about how many players the game has.

Contact is a crucial part of the game's play and image.
I've introduced a lot of new players, non-RL fans, to oztag over the years, and I would say close to zero of them actually take a wider interest in watching the sport, much less become interested in playing a contact form of it.

9s and short-modified forms of the game I think has a lot more expansion potential, simply because it's the same game but with a lower bar to entry.
For example, I'd have no issue with a US League playing 11-a-side on slimmer gridiron fields at an amateur level, if it meant more opportunities to actually form sustainable teams and clubs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think there's very limited evidence of touch footy actually translating into RL players of fans. As a development vehicle, I don't see much use for it other than maybe putting the name of the sport out there, and nice looking statistics about how many players the game has.

Contact is a crucial part of the game's play and image.
I've introduced a lot of new players, non-RL fans, to oztag over the years, and I would say close to zero of them actually take a wider interest in watching the sport, much less become interested in playing a contact form of it.

9s and short-modified forms of the game I think has a lot more expansion potential, simply because it's the same game but with a lower bar to entry.
For example, I'd have no issue with a US League playing 11-a-side on slimmer gridiron fields at an amateur level, if it meant more opportunities to actually form sustainable teams and clubs.

I agree but that is because, despite paying touch footy millions every year, the NRL or RFL do not market it as RL. Most of the 10k touch footy players in WA wouldn't tell you they were playing a version of RL. Until it is branded, marketed and philosophically aligned as RL, just in a different format, that wont change. Look at 5 aside soccer or indoor cricket. That's the mindset we need for touch footy and RL alignment. Id start with a new campaign
"Touch Footy" its Rugby League but not as you know it!
Or something like that. NRL should be pushing stories about touch footy and shouting from the rooftops that RL is one of the most played games in the country when you consider the variants. Changing the org name to Touch Rugby League Football would help as well. NRL does not use Touch Footy database for marketing (certainly not in my state anyways). So many ways to fix this problem!

Touch footy is by far the safest and easiest way to get into RL. If you were selling RL to the Chinese Govt to get on the schools programs then Touch Footy is the product you would use. Its suitable for all ages, carries little physical risk, is appealing to females as much as males, needs few players per team, needs little infrastructure costs etc etc