What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The game yesterday...

matPORTS

Juniors
Long time lurker first time poster.

Having gone to the match in Brisbane yesterday and after pondering the events during the bumpy plane flight back...

Since Wayne Bennett took over I've very rarely been upset with our losses, even in spite of what happened at the end of last season, I always thought we were able to walk away from every loss with our head held high knowing that we gave our best effort (with sole exception of the smashing we copped from Souths late in the season). Being a realist, we weren't going to be successful under his reign straight away but the minor premiership was very well deserved. Before I get too critical, we are without a shadow of a doubt the best defensive team and one of the more mentally gritty teams in the comp (stats or no stats it's there for all to see). Definitely something that was lacking in years gone by and a welcome change for all of us.

But unfortunately as much as we keep hearing out of our camp that we're working on improving our attack we're yet to see it and this has now (for me at least) become frustrating and massive cause for concern. Why did it take going 10-0 down with about 8mins(?) to go before we suddenly sparked up in attack? Running back rowers and hitting the holes (that existed most of the game the Broncos were on the ropes in the whole 2nd half and I was spurring on for someone in the forwards to run with vigor through one of those holes but it just wasn't coming). We looked good when we did that. Why not for the other 72mins?

After yesterday I'm now starting to believe that Bennett is very reluctant to change our style. The general game plan hasn't really changed much at all under his reign and I feel we've become WAY too predictable. Teams aren't going to score much against us but if we can't put points on the board then we're in big trouble. I know it's not an easy job being the bench mark team in the toughest footballing comp in the world. Whether it's a case atm of 'it's easier to chase than to be chased' I'm not sure? Unless we find something different in the next 5 weeks it's going to be de ja vu all over again. We can't use the "best defense in the comp" anymore (this line has worn thin with me now). We've got to find something else.

Thank god Mick Weyman is back next week. His bustling 10-15m carries have been sorely missed and no doubt this is an integral part of the way Bennett wants us to attack. If we're to make further strides before the finals we need him firing.

Priddis? Sadly my patience has run out. Firstly, you won't get a better marker defender in the comp than him or a tougher on field leader. But sadly, his spark out of dummy half is next too non-existent now. We can't expect too much from him late in his career but his service from dummy half is like an F3 traffic jam. In the last 4 weeks especially, Sowie just isn't getting the service needed from dummy half and is having massive pressure put on him, particularly in our attacking third and when we're stuck down in our defensive half trying to get a decent kick away. But I'd say Luke will keep his spot in the team (if fit) due to the fact that he suits Benny's primary game plan.

What other options do we have to spark our dummy half play? I'm thinking Costigan needs to start spending some more time in there? Perhaps even Gasnier? Hornby could also be an option, leaving the main play making duties solely to Sowie? I'm saying this purely on the basis that Fien won't be back. Not sure if he'll be able to find the match fitness in time to make a real impact on this season for us.

The next five weeks (+ week one of the finals) is going to be the toughest test our club has ever faced. Benny, I really hope you make me eat my words here because I don't think we could bare a repeat of last year. IN WAYNE WE TRUST!

Too all the Dragons fans who made the trek up to Brisbane yesterday I admire your commitment. You guys are the best fans ever and I can't wait for the day we can all celebrate a premiership together. The commitment we show to our team is matched by no other in the comp and on this alone we deserve to celebrate a premiership, AND SOON!!

To all the Brisbane/Queensland based Dragons supporters who probably only get see one or two games a year in the flesh, thanks for having us yesterday and keep supporting. You guys don't go unnoticed. It was my first time to Suncorp and it's definitely the second best place to watch a game of Rugby League (after Kogarah off course :p)

GO THE DRAGONS!!

dragonfire

Bench
i agree, the most disappointing aspect of yesterdays game was that we only started really attacking with only 7 minutes left. That scrum play was great though why would you wait so late to show such a move. And i the first time we get a good offload we make a break through the middle. We were flat in the first half and really didnt get any field position. Definitely cant wait for Weyman to be back, we miss his presence through the middle and Priddis has definitely slowed up through the season

Divine

Bench
Luke Priddis is no doubt on his last legs. Would rather a rusty Fien at the moment. We haven't seen major changes from Bennett so far but we haven't lost 2 in a row either. Pull the trigger Wayne.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Welcome MatPORTS
Great first post
I heard on the radio that Shell Harbour broke a 14 game losing streak with the help of a very good performance from none other than Nathan Fein, I reckon that he’ll be doing time on the bench next week. That said Priddis commented in Mercury article last week that he expected Fein to do a couple of weeks for Shell Harbour before rejoining the NRL

New_Era

Juniors
i Was at the game, and on the Same Damn Bumpy Flight Back, QF551. Worst Turbelence I have ever been Through, lasted 30 mins.

I was angry with our Style like u. Teams like Parra last season and this season, throw caution to the wind, and play an up tempo game, and it has brought them good results.

We played that way for 10 minutes, and could have scored on 5 occasions.

Its Time to let them loose to post points on the board, because we can rely on our " D " to save us.

But we need to show more of that last 10 minutes in the First 70 mins.

More options are required in our kicking game also. More attacking kicks Than Defensive kicks. Why give the ball back kicking from Half way to stop the opposition 20 out ? Better off putting up a Bomb to land 30 metres out and get an error or a repeat set.

Go Saints.
I was in isle 56.. Yehaa

dclayw

Juniors
I'd go along with that. Let's start throwing just a little caution to the wind and see where it takes us. Worst that can happen is we make errors but we made enough of those yesterday while playing conservative. So what do we have to lose.

Plenty to gain. We might actually score some points. We might win those close games. It might put the opposition in two minds.

And if it doesn't come off we have our defence to back us up.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
i Was at the game, and on the Same Damn Bumpy Flight Back, QF551. Worst Turbelence I have ever been Through, lasted 30 mins.

I ended up on QF555 a bit later in the evening, most of the team was on the same flight. Much less turbulence, just a bit toward the end. As I've said elsewhere the boys were in good spirits. Good turnout of Dragons fans at the game and a huge representation at both Airports morning and night.

matPORTS

Juniors
Thanks for your replies so far everyone.

We're definitely going to need Horse against the Roosters and there are some good signs for the future in terms of our overall attack. Hopefully it starts to stick sooner rather than later.

Yesterday our forwards were a little bit lazy in patches. In a way we can't point fingers totally at Priddis because he does require some assistance with quick play-the-balls from the man taking the hit-up.

Cagey Mac - thanks for the news RE: Nathan Fien. That's awesome. Do you know if he played 9, in the halves or mixed it up? Trying to find some more information on that match to no avail at the moment. Another positive about Fien coming back is that he gives us another first or second receiver option as well.

On that news, how do we all see our forward structure and bench in the next few weeks? A real good problem to have? Do we still go with Scott in the centres and Gasnier on the bench with Fien also, provided Priddis stays until Fien finds his feet in first grade again? Who misses out?

Also going back to what I said about how tough it is being on top. The big C word is out in force again today. Like the "Hayne Tain/Plane" it is just the word or the euphoria that sells papers and gets the people who bother to read it forming opinion. These people aren't normally intelligent enough to form their own opinions anyway. People should stand up and look at the bigger picture. We've had a buffer between us and second for most of the season, last two seasons in fact. Not a bad effort considering how much closer the comp has become and continues to become.

New_Era - I was on a Virgin flight probably not far behind or in front of you? 80km/h winds from the west coming into Sydney. Must have been the left over turbulence which hit the Hayne Plane on Saturday night? LOL!

New_Era

Juniors
I ended up on QF555 a bit later in the evening, most of the team was on the same flight. Much less turbulence, just a bit toward the end. As I've said elsewhere the boys were in good spirits. Good turnout of Dragons fans at the game and a huge representation at both Airports morning and night.

Damn I was On that Flight originally, and once we got to the Airpot Very early, we were able to Get on the QF551 flight which Departed at 6.45.

Spewing!!

Timmah

Staff member
Was a fun ride, couldn't believe who I was sitting with! Trent Merrin right next to me hahah!

Timmah

Staff member
He had his iPod in most of the trip, despite the best attention of Sowie trying to pay him out.

I was delayed for 30 minutes going up and 45 on the way back.

Was supposed to be on the 9pm home, but we got on the 8pm instead and thank God because that one got cancelled...it would have been hell staying overnight with the people I flew home with haha

Had a great trip...apart from the result

can't wait to do it again next year!!

Latest posts