What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game

All in all an 'okay' effort given our injuries. The score did blow out a bit but I don't think it was a real reflection of the match.

However our performance was once again marked by some pathetic shows from some our prominent South Coast poster boys.

• Coopers double dose of stupidity/petulance. If committing the school boy error of trying to drag a grounded player over the line wasn't bad enough Matt (the cat?) did it AGAIN after having had it explained to him by Mander just a few minutes earlier. On the second occasion the penalty he conceded helped the Cheats get up to the other end where they scored.

• Timmins – shocking, what a wanker. After dropping the ball ten meters out from our line he just laid there prone on the field having a cry about it as Mason picked up the ball and charged towards the line – his lack of commitment and determination to get back and help his teammates left us short defensively allowing Pattern to fall over the line for a soft try.

A very poor effort there and its only made worse by the fact that he was the bloody CAPTAIN on the night i.e. the bloke who's meant to be setting the standards with this attitude and application.

Red Bear

Referee
f**king hell, gotta give it to the south coast boys dont you Denis? If people from the St George side of the merger played shithouse would you be giving them that treatment?
Still, didnt see the match so i dont know how bad their errors really were.

weasel

First Grade
Cooper's two mistakes were really really stupid. The first time it happened it was forgiveable, but to do it a second time so soon after when the referee had individually spoken to him about the rule minutes earlier is ridiculously undisciplined.

Anonymous

Juniors
Cooper is likely to be out for a couple of weeks, as will Ryles. Both knee injuries.
And Riddell may get suspended.
We're looking at a second grade team next week.

Biglance

Bench
well the rules relating to the cooper penalties is bullshit how el masri can just flop to the ground and wait to be touched.

if brown doesnt make some changes ill be quite annoyed.

get rid of jensen, howell and timmins out of 5/8

Southernsaint

Staff member
The annoying thing is that Brown doesn't really have the choice to make player changes / adjustments - injuries are really hampering the club & dictating who he can get to play where...

As for the voluntary tackle rule, Cooper was a complete moron for conceeding the penalty TWICE. However, the rule is weighted so far in favour of the ball-carrier it's not funny. it might be something for the NRL to look at over the course of the season.

Cheers,
Ben S.

Biglance

Bench
southernsaint with the ppl coming back this week and form of younger blokes there should be switches and changes

Collateral

Coach
Biglance said:
get rid of jensen, howell and timmins out of 5/8

Are you serious? Jensen was one of the better players last night and it was taking 3-4 players everytime to lock him up in attack...he is a solid defender and very fit.

Howell on the other hand just doesnt seem to care. Russell had THE WORST game I have seen a halfback play for a while....still a fair bit of time in PL before he is ready for first grade again.

1. Hornby
2. Blacklock
3. Gasnier
4. Carlaw
5. Simmonds
6. Barrett
7. Head
8. Long
9. Riddell
10. Kite
11. Young
12. Thompson
13. Timmins

14. Withers
15. Poore
16. Sims
17. Jensen

Anonymous

Juniors
Biglance said:
well the rules relating to the cooper penalties is bullsh*t how el masri can just flop to the ground and wait to be touched.
The ruling was correct.
All Cooper needed to do was to stand over the player on the ground. If player on the ground didnt get up, then the ref rules a voluntary tackle and Saints get the penalty. If he gets up, then Cooper and the other defenders are within their rights to lift him and force him back.

By falling on the man on the ground, and then trying to forced the tackled player back, Cooper was breaking the rules. And he did it twice.

MadDogMason

Juniors
Dog's knocked yaz off tha park and injured a few more high profile player's in the process. Good luck to u dragqueens in the future but like i said

I TOLD YA SO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Go The Doggies!!!! :mrgreen: :clap:

Anonymous

Juniors
I never could understand why people enjoy seeing players from any club getting injured, but I guess it takes all kinds.
Nevertheless you're right on the other part MDM... Canterbury did indeed blow Saints off the park in the second half. Hopefully we'll get the chance to meet you again in the semis.

Ribs

Bench
For a big loss like that, I actually think there were some positives.

I thought our forwards were well and truly on top in the first half and if it wasnt for that Timmins drop (why was it a scrum anyway?) the game may well have ended differently. Same goes for that disallowed try to Creagh, had that been awarded I was still very confident we could finish over them.

Our problem was our halves, Russell did nothing and Timmins should never see that position again. Thats two weeks he has been pathetic and Cooper and Gasnier dont get any quality ball at all. Timmins looks to see what he can do everytime before passing.

I dont think Ive ever seen so many things go against us, the ball bounced into their hands for two tries for farks sake.

I thought the decision to penalise Sims for that play the ball was a joke and Timmins getting penalised for throwing a punch in posession was stupid. Also, what happened to our kick for touch that ended in a Dogs scrum feed?

Shifty

Juniors
If the Dragons had not touched the player with the ball and he got up and played it, it would have been a penalty to the Dragons for a volountary tackle.

The player, in both cases, was on the ground and as soon as touched is deemed to be tackled. Cooper would have been within his rights to fall on the player and it would have been a dominant tackle, allowing him to hold onto the player while getting up and slow down the play of the ball.

The mistake Cooper made was to attempt to drag the player once the tackle was called. The first time was excusable, but the second time he should have known better.

That said it's good to see Cooper is finally getting the praise he deserves, hopefully his recovery will be short.