What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Gap is Closing . . .

Gareth67

First Grade
Wasn't it just great to see so many upsets in this the opening round of season 2018 !

Starting with the Dragons big win over the Broncos , followed by the Newcastle Knights last minute field goal against Manly and also the Tigers showing a lot of class and toughness against the Roosters. Not to be outdone the Warriors from the shaky isles showed those wabbits a trick or two . Am glad that the Cowboys beat those gummy sharks and the Storm beating the Bullgrubs .

Very early days yet however as a number of our brethren have already said , there will not be any easy matches this year , the teams are evenly matched with injuries playing a big part of just how teams will perform. Of course the ' money ' clubs still exist , but most clubs have made some good buys in the off-season . Teams such as Newcastle , the Tigers and of course our own beloved Dragons have done well in the market .

This weekends results takes me back to the early 1970's when Saints and Souths runs came to an end . After that it was the days of the Sea Eagles and the Eastern Suburb Roosters , there was a very noticeable change in the premiership contenders . I wonder if that time has arrived once again ?

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
dragons-badge.svg

No :1
Leaders
Numero uno.
We have no peer.
Top of the table.
Masters of our domain.

Gareth67

First Grade
With the Panthers and the Titans winning their respective matches, that is a clean sweep for me ( not betting wise ) but as far as the ladder is concerned . With the Dragons where they should be and many of the competitions favourites lingering on the bottom .

I fully realise that it is only very early days as yet , but to get that first up win over Brisbane what was needed , now I hope that the boys can gradually get better with each game .

SEAT 1A

Bench
Wasn't it just great to see so many upsets in this the opening round of season 2018 !

Starting with the Dragons big win over the Broncos , followed by the Newcastle Knights last minute field goal against Manly and also the Tigers showing a lot of class and toughness against the Roosters. Not to be outdone the Warriors from the shaky isles showed those wabbits a trick or two . Am glad that the Cowboys beat those gummy sharks and the Storm beating the Bullgrubs .

Very early days yet however as a number of our brethren have already said , there will not be any easy matches this year , the teams are evenly matched with injuries playing a big part of just how teams will perform. Of course the ' money ' clubs still exist , but most clubs have made some good buys in the off-season . Teams such as Newcastle , the Tigers and of course our own beloved Dragons have done well in the market .

This weekends results takes me back to the early 1970's when Saints and Souths runs came to an end . After that it was the days of the Sea Eagles and the Eastern Suburb Roosters , there was a very noticeable change in the premiership contenders . I wonder if that time has arrived once again ?

It's a comp that most people want so, yes Garth I'm with you.

Newwie and Tigers outstanding and the Pennies coming back was a great game for the neutrals, great rugby league.

It's seems the NRL are hell bent to favour the " money " teams however, remember the final against Tigers, 70,000 odd thousand.

The punters loved tribalism, the Dragons, Tigers, Parra, Bunnies and the Dogs fill stadiums.

Gareth67

First Grade
It's a comp that most people want so, yes Garth I'm with you.

Newwie and Tigers outstanding and the Pennies coming back was a great game for the neutrals, great rugby league.

It's seems the NRL are hell bent to favour the " money " teams however, remember the final against Tigers, 70,000 odd thousand.

The punters loved tribalism, the Dragons, Tigers, Parra, Bunnies and the Dogs fill stadiums.

Exactly SEAT 1A , you chosen the right word - tribalism - and those teams that you have mentioned are all from the old school , before the addition of the Queenslanders and Melbournites . They each have a huge following and go back to the days of big crowds , they all have the sacred blood of rugby league in them and as you know , you can't get any better than that .

I include Newcastle in this group as all the teams from the country areas provided the premiership with some of the best players the game has ever seen and I will also give a mention to one chap who came from one such team to play for Australia - Father John Cootes .

Last edited:

SEAT 1A

Bench
Exactly SEAT 1A , you chosen the right word - tribalism - and those teams that you have mentioned are all from the old school , before the addition of the Queenslanders and Melbournites . They each have a huge following and go back to the days of big crowds , they all have the sacred blood of rugby league in them and as you know , you can't get any better than that .

I include Newcastle in this group as all the teams from the country areas provided the premiership with some of the best players the game has ever seen and I will also give a mention to one chap who came from one such team to play for Australia - Father John Cootes .

Can't really say it any better than " sacred blood".

I can't remember a game ending with a low score, the semi against Illawarra in 92/3 was a great game and the golden point rule has robbed us of a result at times of a fair result.

The history of the game seems to be forgotten. I think it was in the Changa thread, Coffs posted the picture of three greats of the game and the young guys had no idea.

Belta

Juniors
Hewi said;

"...no flogging the likes of Frizzel..."

Don't worry I'm sure the coach has learnt from last year. Good rotation of the bench. Get your best players off when the game is won, (like putting Latimore on for Vaughan in the dying moments of the game) to avoid unnecessary injuries.

Oh actually, maybe not.