What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the great man-off the hook !

ozbash

Referee
fair bloody go... this is disgusting.!!

World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) chairman Dick Pound has criticised the decision to allow Australia leg spinner Shane Warne to play in charity matches during a one-year doping ban.

"I don't understand what the ACA (Australian Cricketers' Association) is doing," Pound was quoted as saying the Sydney Morning Herald newspaper.

"It is doing everything in its power to allow a cheater to play. It is absolutely anti-ethical and against the spirit of the game.

"It used to be that the game of cricket was all about ethics. Cricket was so honest it produced the line 'that is not cricket', but now we have this situation where it is cricket."

Warne, the second highest wicket-taker in tests with 491 victims, was banned for 12 months after testing positive for diuretics in February.

Cricket Australia (CA), the national board, had said the 33-year-old should not be allowed to play any cricket.

But last month it released a joint statement with the ACA, the players' representative body, announcing that an independent arbitrator had cleared the way for Warne to play in charity matches.

WADA chief executive David Howman told The Sydney Morning Herald: "It is not a ban if he is training or playing.

"I find this ruling particularly bizarre because it is out of character with Australia's strong anti-doping stance.

"You have had Ian Thorpe and other prominent Australian athletes who want a level playing field and want the cheats out of the game.

"But when there is an athlete who tests positive...I find it breathtaking that other players want him to play and want to play alongside of him."

ACA chief executive Tim May released a statement defending the association's stance.

"The arbitration was not about Shane Warne, it was about whether or not CA has the ability under its anti-doping policy to extend a ban to testimonial and bona fide charity matches," May said.

"It has been proven - it does not."

Anonymous

Juniors
I thought the ACB put a stop to Warney's proposal over a week ago. If the article is correct, there's been a new development. As for Dick Pound... I wouldn't feed him.

midas

Juniors
As cricket is a non-Olympic sport,I find Dick Pounder,s pertsistent criticism of the Warne case a bit curious.
I think his criticism earlier this week was not of the decision to allow Warne to play in the charity games but of the decision to allow him to train and practise with the National Squad to enable him to be ready for a quick return to International Cricket.
I,m in two minds about this.He is suspended,not disqualified,so technically I suppose he is allowed to train with the squad but I don,t think it sends a good message.

ozbash

Referee
my day just became brighter :lol: :shock: :lol:

A woman who accuses Shane Warne of bombarding her with raunchy telephone calls has challenged the test cricketer to take a lie detector test over the scandal.

Helen Cohen Alon, 45, a divorced mother-of-three from Johannesburg, claims she was offered $45,500 by an associate of Warne's to keep quiet about their relationship, phone calls and a series of text messages.

She says she met Warne in South Africa early last year and went on several dates with the spinner, who was touring with the Australian team.

Cohen Alon accuses Warne of calling her repeatedly "saying he wanted me" and of sending her text messages telling her he was lying in bed next to his wife, Simone, but "thinking naughty thoughts about me."

She claims the phone messages continued long after she first met Warne in South Africa.

"Every time he came to South Africa he would contact me - SMS's had already been sent to my phone. I'm not going to go into that, but it was quite disgusting some of them," Cohen Alon told Channel Nine.

Warne is seeking legal advice over the accusations, which acquaintances of the woman indicate were made to try to win hush money from the cricketer.

However Cohen Alon insists she has proof of her claims, and told Nine:"I want him to take a lie detector test - I'm prepared to do one - and I want Shane Warne to take one if he's denying everything."

Pointing to a brown paper shopping bag, she said: "All the evidence is in the bag - everything that you want to know is in this bag."

Warne's manager and brother, Jason, issued a statement responding to the allegations.

"We regard the allegations of the South African woman, Helen Cohen Alon, as a personal issue between Shane, Simone and the relevant parties.

"This appears to be a blatant attempt by a person attempting to set up someone for personal gain - whether that be monetary or notoriety - and we will consult our legal people in this regard.

"We feel to comment on the issue would only further assist her in gaining the result she is conspiring to create."

Warne, currently serving a 12-month suspension from international cricket for failing a drugs test, lost the Australian vice-captaincy in August, 2000, after admitting he made lewd telephone calls to a British nurse.

Cohen Alon said Warne should stop harassing women.

"I think that's where his weakness lies - otherwise he's a fantastic man."

Cohen Alon said Gavin Varejes, a Johannesburg associate of Warne's, offered her $45,500 to keep quiet after hearing she wanted to sell her story in February this year, when Australia was in South Africa for the World Cup.

Cohen Alon claimed Varejes paid her only half the money.

She said she had gone public with her story because of mystery phone calls she believed were linked to the failure of the alleged gag offer.

Varejes has denied her allegations.

"I think Gavin's got a lot to hide - Gavin Varejes - just what he's hiding?" Cohen Alon said.

She said she first met Warne on February 20 last year at a clothing store in Sandton City, the Johannesburg suburb where the Australian team was based in during its Test and one-day tour of South Africa.

"He said I had a `nice-looking ass' and asked me for my number. I gave it to him," Cohen Alon told Johannesburg's Sunday Times newspaper.

She claimed she went on several dates with Warne and twice went to his hotel room, where they kissed "lightly". She said she wouldn't have sex with Warne because he was married.

Cohen Alon's former hairdresser, Clifford van der Westhuizen, said she had told him she planned to blackmail Warne for more than $600,000.

ozzie

Bench
Ozbash - I take it you don't like Shane Warne? I must admit some of his antics leave me cold - but in relation to the charity event, who is the loser? The charity of course - maybe there should be some type of discretionary powers allowed in these cases.

I must admit Australia V England is not a charity match (although taking England's current form into consideration maybe it is!)

ozzie

Bench
hmm I see - one thing you can't take away from Warney is that he is a great bwoler...I can't ever forget that ball he bowled Gatting with - that test match was on Austar just recently.

I have never seen someone so suprised and wondering "what happenned??". I still reckon he thinks the wicket keeper kicked the stumps..

midas

Juniors
Geez,guys,we,ve been through all this before.
I,m a bit sceptical about this one for fairly practical reasons i,e Warney is reasonably presentable,rich and famous.The woman concerned is a dead-set dragon (with apologies to StG-Ill supporters),so why would he bother?
Anyway,personally I couldn,t care less if he slept with a Tibetan Yak as long as he didn,t bring the effing thing on to the field.
All this self-righteous "role model " stuff is crap.
Anyone who has any Victorian as a role model has massive problems.

El Diablo

Post Whore
It is amazing how this is grabbing so many headlines. Even if it's true it don't mean shit to joe public.

If Warney did bonk this bird he must of been pissed as a newt because she's a dead set horror.

ozbash

Referee
course he shagged her, he,s no bloody oil painting either.

if shane warne said it didnt happen,, it did. put money on it.

can you see him returning to the international game ED ?

El Diablo

Post Whore
Willow said:
She's been charged with extortion.

LOL

I have to laugh at channel 7 and that woeful Today Tonight show. Supposedly tonight they were going to have an exculusive that would "shock the world".

What did they come up with? A bullshit interview with the South African bird who told them absolutley nothing. Not a bloody thing.

Today Tonight has to be one of the worst shows I've ever watched. I hope the bird that hosts it actually doesn't think she's doing herself any favours with most of their crap stories.

Anonymous

Juniors
El Duque said:
Willow said:

LOL

I have to laugh at channel 7 and that woeful Today Tonight show. Supposedly tonight they were going to have an exculusive that would "shock the world".

What did they come up with? A bullshit interview with the South African bird who told them absolutley nothing. Not a bloody thing.

Today Tonight has to be one of the worst shows I've ever watched. I hope the bird that hosts it actually doesn't think she's doing herself any favours with most of their crap stories.
I'm shocked El... that's TV you're talking about. :lol:

El Diablo

Post Whore
Willow said:
El Duque said:
Willow said:

LOL

I thought the show was so bad I nearly flicked over to the ABC :shock:

Anonymous

Juniors
El Duque said:
Willow said:
El Duque said:
Willow said:

LOL

I thought the show was so bad I nearly flicked over to the ABC :shock:
LOL. I have to say that saw a bit of the early Channel 7 news this morning and it was an embarrassment.

They had some bloke cooking bananas in tin-foil as the main audience-grabber. Then they had the newsreaders trying to do a very ordinary Haka with some of their Kiwi camera crew. Man, that was a great TV moment.

I flicked over to Channel 9 and they had the Golf on. That was enough so I had to go to work early which was a relief.

midas

Juniors
I thought the highlight of the Channel 7 show was the sleazebag lawyers theatrical gesture in pulling bits of paper out of the brown paper bag (one of Joh Bjelke,s left-overs) and throwing them away.
Were they supposed to represent cash or documentary evidence?
The sleazebag lawyer claimed that formal charges had been laid but according to an interview this morning with a spokesperson for Joburg police,the only charges laid have been against the Dragon for extortion.

Anonymous

Juniors
News this morning is that Helen Cohen Alon is denying the charges of extortion - effectively saying she is innocent until proven guilty. Looks like the tables have turned.

Alan Shore

First Grade
Now the bitch wants to come to Australia and meet with Simone Warne. Gawd.

I think David Hookes' comments were absolutely spot on.

midas

Juniors
Now the Great Man has the dirts about not being allowed to train with the National or State squads.
Amazingly,Cricket Australia are a bit peeved by the Sports Commision edict.
Christ,are these blokes totally off the planet ?They must realise the GM was busted for a drug offence!
What part of" suspended" don,t they get?
Once again the GM sees himself as a victim-just a matter of time before he self-destructs again.