What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The greatest comeback in NFL history

Ron Jeremy

Coach
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxw4kg6RhDg&feature=related

Kinda bored tonight, but thought itwould be good to post argurably one of the greatest games in NFL history, if not the best.

Buffalo came back from 35-3 down in the 3rd quarter to the Oilers in there wildcard game back in 92 without Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas to win 41-38 in O/T, still gives me goose bumps watching this game. Although Buffalo progressed to there 3rd Superbowl in a row and lost 52-17, this game is just amazing, and it makes me wonder whether Buffalo were better off starting Reich in the Superbowl as opposed to Kelly.

Anyone remember Don Beebe's strip on Leon Lett in the superbowl?:lol: although they got flogged, f**k that was funny.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
What also makes this game great was that the Oilers led by Warren Moon, Haywood Jeffries etc had a gun offensive line, they were probably the most potent with the Bills and Dallas offense in the NFL.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
The Oilers choke would have to be the biggest ever, i mean 35-3 in the 3rd quarter in a play off match against an understrength bills side only to loose 41-38 is just amazing. I never saw this game live, saw it a year or so later when i started following the game on nfl films.

DeeGan

Bench
Yeah, the Bills come back was the greatest. I remember catching most of that game on the old ABC if memory serves me correctly. Bills back up QB Frank Reich was genius and there was a push for him to oust Kelly from the Super Bowl after that win.

legend

Coach
The Oilers also lost to the Broncos (in the playoffs) and Elway had to orchestrate a drive from his two yard line to get the game winning field goal.

He had to overcome a fourth and six and a fourth and ten inside the two minute warning to win the game. Unbelievable!

Fin077

Juniors
I was watching Sportscenter on ESPN late last year (Must've been Nov 21) and they had a special on the 25th anniversary of the Cal V Stanford game.

One of the Stanford guys still doesnt accept that Cal won and believes to this day that one of the Cal guys knee hit the ground before he got the ball free to pass it.....A game that will be debated for a long time to come I think!

I remember that Buffalo V Houston game in the snow! Good 'ol Doon Lane! :D

...and before I go a few of my own personal fave finishes....

The first back in '94. The pesky Jets lead my Dolphins aaall day, until with 30 secs to play "Dan the Man" pulled this outta his bag 'o' tricks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz12sAUzcOQ

...and of course, I couldn't leave without sharing this one. Still makes me laugh and wanna get up and dance! As the commentator says - "Take us outta the history book - We're not goin' in for that one!" Woooo"! :lol: :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfKy4rtexhk

Ron Jeremy

Coach
legend said:
The Oilers also lost to the Broncos (in the playoffs) and Elway had to orchestrate a drive from his two yard line to get the game winning field goal.

He had to overcome a fourth and six and a fourth and ten inside the two minute warning to win the game. Unbelievable!

:lol: ahhh the Oilers, the biggest chokers of all:lol: gotta feel sorry for them, they were like Parramatta unfortunately:(

I think it was even 92? they had something like 8 pro bowlers in there side ( could be wrong). Bruce Matthews was the head of there offensive line with blokes like Givens and Jeffries etc great recievers for Moon.

Before that and even in 93 they were just a great side to watch. Somethimes people forget how good Warren Moon could be.

I think it was 91? and 93 the Oilers had there best chances, but still choked, hence why Adams traded Moon to the Vikings and they were left with 3 legit tripe quarter backs.

Mal Meninga

Bench
Peyton Manning vs Bucs on MNF.

It was Dungy's birthday and the stadium was empty just after halftime. Manning's performance in that second half is one of the most under-rated performances of all time.

My biased pick goes towards 49ers coming back against the Giants in wild card a few years ago. Garcia, Owens, Mariucci...

shaggy

Juniors
i think the greatest comeback was that monday night game, i cant remember who was playing but it came down 2 a field goal, the team took it but due 2 some itnerferance they had 2 take it again & 1

is that the colts v bucks game?

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I still cant believe people believe that the Bills vs Oilers game wasn't the greatest comeback lol. It's without doubt the best comeback ever and it was voted by the fans as the 3rd greatest game in NFL history. Biases asside, this game is unquestionablly one of the greatest ever and still one of the most talked about games of all time.

cq

Juniors
I agree with Mal Meninga, coming back in a road game would be heaps harder. I'd go Colts-1, Bills-2.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
heaps harder lol? it was a play off match, Buffalo were without there starting QB Jim Kelly and pro bowl runing back Thurman thomas, 35-3 down mid 3rd quarter, there is simply no other NFL match you can compare this comeback too, yes there have been some other great comebacks but simply the cirucmstances, margain and not to mention the Oilers had a gun offense made this win the greatest

Agent Mulder

Bench
The Oilers choke would have to be the biggest ever, i mean 35-3 in the 3rd quarter in a play off match against an understrength bills side only to loose 41-38 is just amazing. I never saw this game live, saw it a year or so later when i started following the game on nfl films.

I saw the game on a same day delay, It was one of the best games you will ever see, Unbelieveable, I like when they showed Jim Kelly with his head down looking defeated and the i heard something like "Well the lights have been on here at Rich Stadium, There been on all day but you can pretty much turn them down on the Bills right now" Who would believe what would happen next??? Great game too bad you lost to my Cowboys in the Superbowl hehe

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Yeah i know i know, i saw the game on NFL films not long after started following the game years ago.

The Dallas game was interesting, many picked we'd win but we ended up playing one of the worst games ever, countess turnovers, shocking way to end the year 52-17.