What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Haka

drago brelli

Bench
Did you see Tahu and those other NZ guys doing the Haka in their under pants? Don't you New Zealanders get embarrassed by scenes like this? Tahu has an IQ of 30. I don't like to see an intelligent person like Jason Nightingale doing the Haka. He left NZ when he was two years of age. The Haka is some silly war dance. I like New Zealand and it's people, having spent time there but I think the Haka is a wank.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Yeah the haka is an interesting one, I'm born and bred New Zealander but I don't feel a massive affinity with it. If it got scraped tomorrow I couldn't care less. I think it's probably fair enough that NZ Maori sides do one but I don't really see why so many NZ sporting sides have to do one before and after sporting events. It's cringe worthy to watch some of them anyway like at the last commonwealth games when a haka was performed every 4.5 seconds it seemed. And I also dislike how there is such a massive uproar over opposition 'disrespecting' the haka. The other team shouldn't have to stand there and face it just before a game. I know personally I enjoy our national anthems much more and that gets me pumped up more.

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
Yeah the haka is an interesting one, I'm born and bred New Zealander but I don't feel a massive affinity with it. If it got scraped tomorrow I couldn't care less. I think it's probably fair enough that NZ Maori sides do one but I don't really see why so many NZ sporting sides have to do one before and after sporting events. It's cringe worthy to watch some of them anyway like at the last commonwealth games when a haka was performed every 4.5 seconds it seemed. And I also dislike how there is such a massive uproar over opposition 'disrespecting' the haka. The other team shouldn't have to stand there and face it just before a game. I know personally I enjoy our national anthems much more and that gets me pumped up more.

Just another wank of a young one, wanting to pass on tradition...sad times

The Haka is NZ!!

ozbash

Referee
Love the haka. Get rid of the pregame national anthem.

ditto.

the haka is the game. The W/Cup haka was the best Ive ever seen on a sportsfield and it was made better when the aussies fronted up..

The HAKA will be here to stay and I think anyone can relate this to NZ.
Anywhere you go in the world ppl relate Kiwis to 3 things. Sheep, The All Blacks and of course the HAKA

shinobi

Juniors
Considering Tahu and Nightingale have Maori blood they have every right to do a haka. I agree with the sentiments that it can be overdone and i have no problem with teams doing whatever they want during the time they shouldnt have to stand their and bear it. Just dont start singing Waltzing Matilda cos thats just embarrassing.

shinobi

Juniors
Speaking of can someone record the Haka in the Maori game and chuck it up on Youtube Im not sure the games getting shown in Oz.

Speaking of can someone record the Haka in the Maori game and chuck it up on Youtube Im not sure the games getting shown in Oz.

That sucks because i'm looking forward to seeing Kevin Locke play Fullback and of course the Haka should be mean.
I will be recording it, since myski is a prick to rip from (only via capture card) I could of helped out bud, sorry

Fast Eddie

First Grade
The HAKA will be here to stay and I think anyone can relate this to NZ.
Anywhere you go in the world ppl relate Kiwis to 3 things. Sheep, The All Blacks and of course the HAKA

Mainly because of all the crap drunk hakas that get performed overseas...

I just think way too much emphasis is put on it....like how people this in thread for example are saying it is the game etc. I just don't get why such a massive deal is put on a cultural dance before sporting events. Why can't the teams just do it in the sheds just before they come out like the All Blacks did a couple of years ago? FIFA has banned any teams from doing anything like the Haka before the game, I'm a little suprised there hasn't been uproar about that.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Just another wank of a young one, wanting to pass on tradition...sad times

The Haka is NZ!!

And don't be ridiculous, the main group of people that love the haka are the younger people.....then they go and perform it drunk at police.

JoeD

First Grade
The Haka -
pissed meatheads doing it during a night out - not cool
before a kiwis/ABs game - cool
at other sporting occasions - meh.

Martli

Coach
The kiwis only recently started doing the Haka well in my opinion. Can't remember when exactly is started getting better, but circa 2004 it was pretty terrible. Someone must've given them a kick up the ass.

Meth

Staff member
The Haka -
pissed meatheads doing it during a night out - not cool
before a kiwis/ABs game - cool
at other sporting occasions - meh.

this

Kiwis do 'ka mate' far, far, far better than the All Blacks. The only haka that the All Blacks should do is Kapa O Pango

shinobi

Juniors
this

Kiwis do 'ka mate' far, far, far better than the All Blacks. The only haka that the All Blacks should do is Kapa O Pango

I do beg to differ there. Kiwis haka is always superfast like theyre in a hurry to get it over and done with and from my limited kapa haka experience we were always told the leader stands at the back or behind the front rows during haka never in the front like Adam Blair does. Watch how the All Blacks and NZ Maori do it leaders always in the middle. Then again maybe thats just the way we do it.

Skinner

Coach
I'm a bit meh on the haka, but the best ones I've seen have been at college league tournaments. The PIRLA comp in Auckland used to have some beauties too.

ozbash

Referee
but the best ones I've seen have been at college league tournaments. The

the warriors should have 1 of those schools behind their posts every game.

fantastic..