What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Haka

I do not want to be disrespectful at all, but is every second person doing the Haka cheapening it from it was designed to be originally.

People arriving at airports and standing in streets all doing the Haka seems a bit silly to me.

It was meant to be a challenge by warriors before going into battle, as far as I am aware.

Last edited:
I like watching it (as an Australian I have no emotional or traditional attachment to it), but I have to agree with the OP.

It reminds me of that episode of The Simpsons where Homer challenges everyone he sees to a duel.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I remember at the commonwealth games a few years back when the NZ swimmers started doing it after winning bronze it just looked ridiculous. (although slightly better than Aussie Aussie Aussie oye oye oye).

When it's done before league or union tests by the players or by Maori who have a cultural attachment and knowledge of it then it's great. Otherwise I'm agin it.

Paullyboy

Coach
Why is it being done at club games? They aren't all kiwis! Plus every other club has kiwis in it.

Same as my comments on anthems in that other thread.

eozsmiles

Bench
It's good entertainment but when it isn't an international event I think it's a bit different. It would certainly be weird if Manly win and then drape themselves in the Australian flag.
But as an old school Aussie I respect the national anthem, the last post, and a minute's silence when we perform them so of course I'm going to respect the traditions of other cultures too.

Loudstrat

Coach
Wowsers. Its fans getting pumped up for their team.

As for the "they are not all Kiwis" comments - They are called New Zealand ffs. Besides, I dont remember the Warriors ever doing it. But the fans? Fine. It's something that now represents New Zealand pride - and it's a fantastic way of showing it. I loved the spontneous footage of the hakas in the stands at Lang Park in 2008, and when the World Cup landed at Auckland Airport.

innsaneink

Referee
Wowsers. Its fans getting pumped up for their team.

As for the "they are not all Kiwis" comments - They are called New Zealand ffs. Besides, I dont remember the Warriors ever doing it. But the fans? Fine. It's something that now represents New Zealand pride - and it's a fantastic way of showing it. I loved the spontneous footage of the hakas in the stands at Lang Park in 2008, and when the World Cup landed at Auckland Airport.
Bang on Misty

Hows it being cheapened?

Are kids that play footy to the standard that kids play cheapening the NRL?

Do people on no talent shows trying to sing cheapening those that can sing?

Now Casey Chambers at the deadly awards :roll: saying, "look at all these beautiful black people here" while there were white people also present...thats cheap

Loudstrat

Coach
How good was that bloke leading the Haka in the stands, and those in the stands responding?

Better than sitting in the stands farting and whinging at the cold pies.

Latest posts