What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Heat Is On...

Southernsaint

Staff member

Editorial: The Heat is on
Mon Jun 21, 8:17pm (NSW)
Written by: Chris Dickson
Source: Jubilee Ave
Welcome to the feeding season. Usually the months of June and July signal the commencement of cold winter days, old dusty scarves being dragged out of the bottom of the wardrobe and Origin footy.

However in Dragon Land it appears the heat is well and truly turned on. Indeed if you are a Saints supporter the feeling of that blowtorch is piercing the insides of your body.

Once again silly season has hit and despite talk of gloom and doom on the property market, it seems that prices out Kogarah and Wollongong have hit record highs. We wouldn't want to call them cattle now in case we offend Mr Kitinas.

Brent Kite is #1 on the charts right now and has the cashed up Raiders and Manly on his tail. The man who couldn't command $8000 off his beloved Raiders only three years ago now appears on the verge of going home for nearly thirty seven times that amount for now learning how to catch a football and run with it.

Whilst Kitey has had a tremendous season to date, the feeling seems to be that paying way over the odds for a prop forward is not in the clubs best interests. Even more so with big boppas like Ashton Sims, Justin Poore, Michael Henderson and Aaron Wheatley waiting in the wings.

The homesickness argument is being used a lot in the media. However with Manly now being seen as favourites for his signature what will the fans feel if he moved to the Peninsula to join fellow ex Saints front rowers Heckenberg and Donnelly.

Cult hero Mark Riddell is the other player commanding attention. What fan would not want a player like 'Pig' in their team. Pace off the mark, strength of a bull and an all out winning attitude have stamped Mark has a fan favourite since his debut against the shire filth in 2001 which he celebrated with a Second half double.

When Cronulla were ruled out of the running late last week, a collective sigh went out that could be heard down the South Coast. The thought of losing our man Pig was bad enough, losing him to our arch rivals running 13th was something none of us wanted to contemplate.

Now the reasons for Riddells immenent departure have been debated throughout the football world. From having run ins with the coach about game time, to not being happy about discipline issues. The answers as to why are not really known. Riddell argues that is strictly a "business decision". However does Ridell really know what is good for business???

It appears almost certain Riddell will be seen in the Plastic Spastic jersey of the Parramatta Eels next year. A team of which their hooker John Morris is thought of as their second best player behind Nathan Hindmarsh. A hooker who plays a lot of minutes and who does a lot of creative work around the ruck. So game time surely can not be the reason why he will go to Parramatta.

Nathan Brown has been seen as a shackler to Mark Riddell. Whether the truth is as strong as the impression is very doubtful. However if Riddell believes Brown is a restrictive coach, what does he believe he will find with Brian Smith. Remembering that Brown was the Masters Apprentice.

Rugby League is a game of rumour and innuendo. It gives the men a chance to gossip and bitch under the pretext of talking sport. Watching Riddell jump around and signal to the crowd on Sunday after posting the half century against the Tigers, you wonder how a player would want to leave the club where he has achieved a cult hero status the likes only seen in modern St George history by players such as Ted Goodwin, Ricky Walford, Brad Mackay, Mark Coyne, Anthony Mundine and Nathan Blacklock.

Saints fans have always loved a player with that X factor. That something extra that defines them as something special. The bullocking charges at defensive lines and then crashing through it.

The left arm raise and waggle of the hips that brought the crowd to attention like a soldier drawn to his commander.

The cheeky smile and little tummy. The arrogance and pride in the jersey. The Canterbury games when he would try to belt every player in blue.

However Saints fans also respect players who leave for the correct decision. Mackay left after falling out with Brian Smith and not being given the captaincy. Choc left to pursue a title with Brisbane but was so homesick he came back before leaving again for good to follow his dream. Tingha left to pursue a different sport vowing he could not play against his beloved Saints and then came back less than a year later.

All players still loved and respected by the fans for what they have done. Will Riddell leave the same way. Will the fans believe the reasons trotted out for his imminent departure. Will he be the last Saints to depart this year. Think someone just turned that heat up again.

Food for thought...

It will be an interesting reception on Sunday.

Cheers,
Ben S.

Ribs

Bench
I would be extremely disappointed if there were sections of the crowd who gave it to Mark Riddell for leaving. Im not happy that he is going but if we cant offer something even close to the rival offers, what is he to do?

While its easy to sit back and say that these guys should put pride over money, an offer like 1 million for 3 seasons is too much to walk away from.

Best of luck to the Pig and I hope he goes just as hard for the remainder of this season.

It's an interesting dilemma. Riddell and Kite would both make very good hate figures… its just something about the look of them that makes you want to walk up and deck them. Also I felt that Kite owed us for standing by him through two seasons of pathetic football. I don't know why we called him Ronnie Irani – Tubby Taylor would have been closer to the mark.

Having said that they where offered silly money, way more then they're worth, so I don't really blame them for taking it.

IMO We'll be baying for their blood when we play Canberra and Parra next year… just look how we treated poor Amos despite the fact that it was us that rejected him.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Denis'saints'Freak said:
It's an interesting dilemma. Riddell and Kite would both make very good hate figures… its just something about the look of them that makes you want to walk up and deck them. Also I felt that Kite owed us for standing by him through two seasons of pathetic football. I don't know why we called him Ronnie Irani – Tubby Taylor would have been closer to the mark.

Having said that they where offered silly money, way more then they're worth, so I don't really blame them for taking it.

IMO We'll be baying for their blood when we play Canberra and Parra next year… just look how we treated poor Amos despite the fact that it was us that rejected him.

LOL, "We Were There When You Were Shit"...

I'm more annoyed with the fact that Saints lost players, than the actual players we lost, per se.

Just make sure we all archive these posts, then we can go back in two years, change Kite & Riddell to Sims & Poore & save a lot of time...

I'll possibly still salute Pig's kicks on Sunday, I'll have a cheque-book in my hand, LOL.

Cheers,
Ben S.