What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The last game!.

slippery eel

Juniors
Can people remember when legends of Parramatta played their last game.

Ray Price - 1986 Grandfinal
Mick Cronin - 1986 Grandfinal
Peter Sterling - 1992 v Wests
Brett Kenny - Was it last game in '93?
Eric Grothe - ???
Steve Ella - ???
Paul Taylor - ???
Steve Edge - 1984 Grand Final

Ron Jeremy

Coach
slippery eel said:
Can people remember when legends of Parramatta played their last game.

Ray Price - 1986 Grandfinal
Mick Cronin - 1986 Grandfinal
Peter Sterling - 1992 v Wests
Brett Kenny - Was it last game in '93?
Eric Grothe - ???
Steve Ella - ???
Paul Taylor - ???
Steve Edge - 1984 Grand Final

Eric Grothe only played about a dozen game in 89...before retiring at the end of that year!!

Steve Ella retired also at the end of 89.....he didn't play in 89 due to horrific shoulder problems!!

Paul Taylor also played his last game with Parra in 89.....he was dumped at the end of the year and wen't to Penrith and enjoyed moderate succes that year with the Panthers

Peter Wynn retired at the end of 90....Geoff Bugden was on contract with Parra in 90 but didn't play due to injuries

Neil Hunt wen't to the Gold Coast in 88

Tony Chalmers wen't to Balmain in 89

Mick Delroy wen't to Easts in 89

Michael Mosely & Steve Sharp played with Parra in 89 but both spent more time in reserves then Firsts!!

Misty Bee

First Grade
Brett Kenny ended his 265th first garde game v Balmain, Parramatta Stadium, in August 1993.

Bob O'Reilly bowed outin 1982, due to injury, but his last game was the 1981 grand final. And didn't he have a blinder!

Aahhh, what we could do with players like Bear and Ray Price now!

(BTW, Price played with Wakefield in 1988)

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Misty Bee said:
Brett Kenny ended his 265th first garde game v Balmain, Parramatta Stadium, in August 1993.

Bob O'Reilly bowed outin 1982, due to injury, but his last game was the 1981 grand final. And didn't he have a blinder!

Aahhh, what we could do with players like Bear and Ray Price now!

(BTW, Price played with Wakefield in 1988)

I was at Brett Kenny's last game....very memorable and a great game!!

The previous week Parra had been thumped 68-0 by Canberra but they played great against Balmain and eventually won the game 22-16!!

Mark Laurie retired at the end of 92 and wen't to England!!

Greg Darke retired at the end of 93 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brian Jackson at the end of 91

Misty Bee

First Grade
I was there too Ron (were you HJ???)

Classic game. As I recall it was a wooden spoon playoff, and Bert belted Martin Marsella and sparked an allni brawl. At one stage I thought Bert was going toe to toe with Paul Sironen. The ref's comments (Edie Ward?)after the game was that Bert deserved to be sent off, but he just didn't have the heart!

I took my young bloke, and we sat in the Cronin stand. I was glad we won, because earlier in the year I took him to see Parra and this legend called Brett Kenny. Easts flogged us 42-6, but the 6 came from a Kenny intercept at least!

Stagger eel

Staff member
I still have my signed Brett Kenny mask...somewhere.

Just on Greg Drake, do you believe he played 65 first grade games at our club. gee weren't we strugling.

Brian Jackson also spent a season at Souths before he retired. He actually scored against us in his debut match in 93 the same match where souths unearthed a new sensation by the name of Tim Horan [not the rah!! rah!! bloke] who turned out to be the most over rated over hyped footballer in the history of the game. He finished his career in Penrith researves after unforgetable stints with Reds and the steelers.

sorry for rambling.

damn straight I was there! lol, think you're so high and mighty? damn you have your head up your ass don't ya, boy?

My dad took me, as he did the week before to see us get flogged by Canberra (and my bro is a Canberra supporter :( ) It was Year 11 for me and I wasn't supposed to be able to go to many games cause of school (pfffft! bloody school!) but my Dad was convinced to take us to the Canberra game, and he felt so sorry for me, lol, he allowed me to go see Bert's send off next week. He was a big Kenny fan, even though he is a Penrith boy, and my neighbour snuck along with us to see Bert play.

I think the only other game I was allowed to go to that year was when we were beaten at home by Souths. I think it was 13-2? My neighbour was a Souths fanb so he took me and I didn't speak to him for about two weeks afterwards lol.

Good year 93. I remember we were moving house and everyone was setting up stuff but I told em all to get stuffed so i could sit down next to a little radio and lisrten to score updates on the ANZ game. Sweet, sweet day that!

Misty Bee

First Grade
Yeah, good one. So even though you were in yr 11, and had trouble getting time away from studies to go to the footy, your dad took you to Parra stadium two weekends in a row?????? YEAH RIGHT! :lol: :lol: :lol:

What school did you go to? Macarthur Girls High?

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Misty Bee said:
I was there too Ron (were you HJ???)

Classic game. As I recall it was a wooden spoon playoff, and Bert belted Martin Marsella and sparked an allni brawl. At one stage I thought Bert was going toe to toe with Paul Sironen. The ref's comments (Edie Ward?)after the game was that Bert deserved to be sent off, but he just didn't have the heart!

I took my young bloke, and we sat in the Cronin stand. I was glad we won, because earlier in the year I took him to see Parra and this legend called Brett Kenny. Easts flogged us 42-6, but the 6 came from a Kenny intercept at least!

"Classic game. As I recall it was a wooden spoon playoff, and Bert belted Martin Marsella and sparked an allni brawl. At one stage I thought Bert was going toe to toe with Paul Sironen. The ref's comments (Edie Ward?)after the game was that Bert deserved to be sent off, but he just didn't have the heart!"

One of the most intense games i'd seen up untill that point....it wasn't exactly a wooden spoon play off....Parra finished that year in 11th while Balmain finishes 14th or 15th??.....parra won 9 games that year which equated to 18 points (no bye's that year).

Your 100% right though Brett Kenny should of been sent off....he started the brawl by putting a good one on Marsella's chin...very good hit actually!!

It was a great game.....we scored the first try but Balmian responded to lead for memory 12-6 at half time.....then after half time a rampaging Scotty Mahon put us back level with a great try.....and then Michael Erickson dodging and weaving set up i think Mc Phail in the corner.....at that point we lead 22-12 but?? Balmain hit back to make it 22-16 and threw absolutley everything at Parra in the final 10 minutes....they where hanging on barley.....Graham Lyons & Brasher where making breaks left right & centre but Scotty at the back pulled of some stunning try savers.....we eventually won!!

Great to see the 16,000 tyrn up for the game and the fire works at the end!!

' took my young bloke, and we sat in the Cronin stand. I was glad we won, because earlier in the year I took him to see Parra and this legend called Brett Kenny. Easts flogged us 42-6, but the 6 came from a Kenny intercept at least!"

I think you made a mistake dude.... Parra only played Easts once that year at the SFS and we beat them 18-2 but Kenny did score a try from a intercept that game!!, we lost 42-6 to the Bulldogs that year in front of a record crowd at Belmore but?? Kenny didn't play that game.....he actually made his return from injury that year in the clash against Souths at Parra.....we lost 15-2...Mark carroll slotted a 30 metre sideline field goal before half time :roll: , im guessing the only game it could have been was when we lost to Norths 36-8 at North Sydney oval.....Kenny scored an intercept try and as he wen't over to score he gave ex Eel Glenn Liddiard a cheeky smile.....like "what's wrong Glenn....can't you catch an old fellow" :lol: :lol:

slippery eel

Juniors
ah the memories!. Answer this question which still makes me scratch my head to this day!.

Why did the Eels go downhill after losing Price and Cronin???. They still had Sterlo, Bert, Zip Zip, Guru and co. Sure those players were heading towards the end of their career, but wtf!!!!.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
slippery eel said:
ah the memories!. Answer this question which still makes me scratch my head to this day!.

Why did the Eels go downhill after losing Price and Cronin???. They still had Sterlo, Bert, Zip Zip, Guru and co. Sure those players were heading towards the end of their career, but wtf!!!!.

In 1987 Parramatta where absolutely descimated by injuries!!, even if we had Price & Cronin in 1987 we still wouldn't of made the finals!!, still though we missed the finals by 3 points and finished 7th.....Sterlo ha d a huge year.....and was a shining light wining the Rothmans medal!!

Kenny onle played about 12 games in 87, Grothe about 8, Ella hardly played, Hunt only played 2 games, Mares only 1 game......the list goes on!!, injuries got that bad that Michael Erickson had to be blooded.....at such a tender age!!

1988???, what a disastrious year for Parra......we really didn't have the injury problems of 87 except for Brett Kenny who only played a game & a half & Sterlo played about 16 games.....we still had injuries but not to the same extent!!, we also where extremely unlucky that year in a numbe rof close games that we should of won.....and when Manly defeated us 64-12 in rd 3 at Parra stadium (first ever game i wen't too) this didn't help our confidence.......can you believe we led 12-6 mid way through the first half!!

I believe to this day the reason why Parramatta struggled up untill 1995 was that the Parramatta club placed to much emphasis on 1988 Presidents Cup wining side!!, a majority of these players did not come up to scratch...and Fitzy was signing these players on good money for little return.....we keep waiting & waiting for these players to come up to scratch and nothing happened......it was no coincidence that we broke the salary cap in 91 and still finished second last.....as i said to much emphasis was place don the 88 Presidents cup Premiership side!!

Misty Bee

First Grade
Ron,you might be right about the year - maybe it was the year before.Definitely parra Stadium. Definitely v Easts. I remember Craig Salvatori and Gary Freeman carving us up.

Parramatta missed Cronin's awesom ball playing skills. The nearest equivalent that we have in the NRL would be to give Davis Solomona's ball skills to Sean Timmins. Crow would regularly stand in 3mant tackles and pop a swet ball to an unmarked Kenny or Grothe. Not to mention he was the biggest - and best - goal kicker the game had seen. Cronin would ALWAYS put goals taken from 30m out from the line - out of the ground. One conversion at Belmore hit a train, I can recall!

But Price's loss was irreversable. Not only was he an awesome defender, but he always made damn sure his forwards played out of their skin as well. If anyone has ever seen the 1986 grand final, you will know what I mean. No Brian Smith coached side has come near of the brute strength of that pack that day.

Sterlo was never the same as captain. The players never had the same respect (fear?) as they did with Price. Parra simply were not tough enough up front after Price left.

slippery eel

Juniors
It's quite incredible that the 2001 team was so good and broke so many records, but it still had nothing on the 80's Parra side!!!. Just goes to show you how great Parra were between 1981 - 1986.

I guess from what i have been reading in this thread, even though the eels still had so many great players after '86.... Price and Cronin were the heart and soul of the eels. What a career those guys had between 76-86!.

Misty Bee, Cronin was a great goalkicker (they called him Mr Dependable) but he farked up in the 1977 & 1984 grandfinals with his goalkicking. More so in 1984 when he kicked 0 from 3!. Also in 1986 he missed the first two attempts from right in front.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Price was the heart and soul. Cronin was the big points machine.

Price would drive the side - make sure the team all played to their ability, and never slacken off. He was also the starch up the middle. How many times in a big game would a trainer drag Price to his feet in wobbly legs, and send him back into battle. It weould never fail to lift his team!

Sterling directed the attack. Kenny, Ella and Grothe took what Sterlo offered and ut defences to ribbons. But Cronin was the big points man. Big Jack Gibson used to say that Crow was worth 12 points to a side. In an era where a 30 point win was a huge flogging, you can see how important he was.

Crow could bang 'em over from halfway (and make the ball go dead). Then he would miss 'em from 10m out right in front!

If you ever gat a chance, watch a replay of the 1981 grand final. On that day Cronin performed the best display of goal kicking I have ever witnessed. To explain - the day was extremely windy, and the wind swirled around the SCG. Newtown were scoring 2 tries to Parra's one. but Paul Morris couldn't convert many of them - the win was far to wild. By the time Tommy Raudonikis scored, Newtown had 3 tries to our 1, for an 11-7 lead. yet Cronin was the difference.

The conversion of Brett Kenny's first half try was the best kick I have seen. Crow had to kick accross the wind. Not only that, but the wind swirling inside the arena was bisected by the wind roaring accross the ground from the gaps between the grandstand. Cronin had to kick the ball across a gale blowing in 3 different directions accross the balls flight path. and the kick was from the sideline as well.

Bigger me is he didn't nail it! A huge kick that crossed the black dot about 20m above the ground!

When Ella scored late in the game, Cronin's kick was needed to put us in front. Again, from the sideline, across the gale, he nailed it.

Back to Price, he came to parra when Ray Higgs was captain. Higgs was a no bullshit tough as teak second rower who simply belted anthing in his path. He played the '76 grand final with a broken jaw. He was all heart, and was a magnificent leader to whom the Parramatta history does not give nearly enough credit to. Ray Price learned from Higgs.

Higgs left Parramatta when Terry Fearnley wouldn't allow him to bash the St George pack in the 77 GF replay. Higgs would have ripped in too!

slippery eel

Juniors
I've watched the '81 grand final many a time and it still gets my juices flowing. Kenny's dummy to Ella on the inside to score in the corner towards the end was magical. I agree with what you said about Cronin.... his kicking that day was pretty impressive. I think he may of even kicked a 40-20 in that game???.

The Colonel

Immortal
The day Price left Parramatta was the day we lost the mongrel that had been there since he first started. Not many blokes would dive into the middle of a scrum and come up bleeding with his hands wrapped around the ball - Sterlo was made better because no one wanted to tackle him fearing copping a flogging from him..... unfortunately we don't see anything like that in the game today.

What I wouldn't give for some of that mongrel element back in the pack.

slippery eel

Juniors
Colonel Eel said:
The day Price left Parramatta was the day we lost the mongrel that had been there since he first started. Not many blokes would dive into the middle of a scrum and come up bleeding with his hands wrapped around the ball - Sterlo was made better because no one wanted to tackle him fearing copping a flogging from him..... unfortunately we don't see anything like that in the game today.

What I wouldn't give for some of that mongrel element back in the pack.

we had the mongrel in our pack with Pay, Smith, McCracken and Dymock. Since there departure Parra have had no balls in the forwards.

Remember last year when Parra were penalised heavily by Harrigan up at Newcastle and Pricey was shown on TV. He had a huge smile on his face and laughed..... to this day i reckon he was directing that at Fitzgerald.

The Colonel

Immortal
Pay was the mongrel in the pack - McCracken, Dymock and Smith just weren't on the paddock enough. People feared Pay in a similar way to Pricey - there just isn't anyone at the Eels that even comes close at this stage to that - Chan could whack but didn't have the presence of Price or Pay.

You look at the players now who I wouldn't mind having in a B&G jumper - Villasanti, Wiki, Morley - even Logan Swann. They whack in defence - they don't just tackle and they have a presence on the field.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Misty Bee said:
Ron,you might be right about the year - maybe it was the year before.Definitely parra Stadium. Definitely v Easts. I remember Craig Salvatori and Gary Freeman carving us up.

Parramatta missed Cronin's awesom ball playing skills. The nearest equivalent that we have in the NRL would be to give Davis Solomona's ball skills to Sean Timmins. Crow would regularly stand in 3mant tackles and pop a swet ball to an unmarked Kenny or Grothe. Not to mention he was the biggest - and best - goal kicker the game had seen. Cronin would ALWAYS put goals taken from 30m out from the line - out of the ground. One conversion at Belmore hit a train, I can recall!

But Price's loss was irreversable. Not only was he an awesome defender, but he always made damn sure his forwards played out of their skin as well. If anyone has ever seen the 1986 grand final, you will know what I mean. No Brian Smith coached side has come near of the brute strength of that pack that day.

Sterlo was never the same as captain. The players never had the same respect (fear?) as they did with Price. Parra simply were not tough enough up front after Price left.

"Ron,you might be right about the year - maybe it was the year before.Definitely parra Stadium. Definitely v Easts. I remember Craig Salvatori and Gary Freeman carving us up"

Yeah i think it was 92....93...Easts had a shocker in 93!!, 92 Easts where very competitive.....ask anything you wan't to about 93,94.....i wen't to every single Parra game except for the 68-0 to Canberra in 93.......i was a true supporter!!!

Why i said Price & Cronin wouldn't have made a difference in 87 is because...Cronin by his standards had a shocker of a year in 86....his eye & rib injuries really prevented him from playing anywhere near his potential......Price was 33 when he retired.....he was just getting to old....both superb players though.....and thankfull they played there careers with Parra!!

sterlo was a different sort of captain apparently.....he would be more quietly spoken and pin point certain objectives where as Price used to hammer it in to his players to perform better.....when Kenny was captain i heard some great sprays by him to his players though!!

I do agree with you on Brian Smiths sides.....they have nothing when it comes to brute strength on Price's sides!!

theicemandanno

Juniors
I think I was at Kenny's last game (I was only young) and the only thing I can remember is that Parra were packing down into a scrum (Kenny was at lock) and over the sound system came that cornball ad that started "Hi......Im Brett Kenny" (I forget the rest). The crowd cracked up.

Another thing.....did the Guru finish his career at the Tigers? I ahve a weird image in my mind of Grother playing for the Tigers in head gear.