What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The LJC\Stallion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion

First Grade
If the Kiwis play in NZ they may break even (if against Aussie or England). I do recall a couple of the Tongan Test just breaking even. Now if they play in Australia they are guaranteed a decent amount (I have been told around/over the $100,000 mark when they played at Suncorp). So really it is simple decsision - NZRL have no assests unlike Auckland Rugby League. I think if your recall the last couple of Tests against Australia have been forced to be played in Australia due to TV rights.

To be fair not many kids grow up wanting to play for the Kiwis. In fact I'm sure if you go through every current Kiwi player, i would say at least 75% would say they wanted to be All Blacks when they grew up. Thats the way it is here...NZRL would be lucky to change that - ever.

I am really concerned about the crowds for the NZ RLWC games...while they have started pumping advertising, i have never seen Rugby League at such a low level of fan interest in NZ. I really do hope i am wrong, but then again why the hell are they not playing the Tonga vs Samoa game in Auckland in the largest Polynesian city of the World??

I believe that if rugby league was given a decent presence in the schools of NZ things would be different and RL would eventually be the preferred code.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
I believe that if rugby league was given a decent presence in the schools of NZ things would be different and RL would eventually be the preferred code.

If the NZ Rugby Uninon didn't revoke the life bands for players that went to League after World War 2, then Rugby League would be what Rugby is today. I believe most of the top Rugby players converted to League before the War so they got life bands.

Some schools are starting to come around. This year was the first time in many years we had a junior league competition in my region played before the rugby season. When the rugby season started, it was easy to pick the kids that had been playing league. We are expecting an increase of kids next year because rugby teams like the skills their players develop

Stallion

First Grade
If the NZ Rugby Uninon didn't revoke the life bands for players that went to League after World War 2, then Rugby League would be what Rugby is today. I believe most of the top Rugby players converted to League before the War so they got life bands.

Some schools are starting to come around. This year was the first time in many years we had a junior league competition in my region played before the rugby season. When the rugby season started, it was easy to pick the kids that had been playing league. We are expecting an increase of kids next year because rugby teams like the skills their players develop

Very interesting. So rugby union will use rugby league to better its playing ranks. However if RL gets too big for its 'boots' the repression tricks come out. Some people on this website are not aware of this 'repression' or either refuse to acknowledge it. Great insight . Thanks.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Just to the website administrators. I question the thread headline . Perhaps you could call it "Rugby league's reality issues."
Think this would gain decent interest? And for the record it was Kiwileaguefan that brought up the very revealing information about the struggles of NZ rugby league and not myself.

Stallion

First Grade
Truth hurts. Its clear the website operator has his clear agenda and this is a pretty rude way of treating a contributor. But that's the way this dude operates. I'm open minded enough to cop the rudeness but I don't think the "moderator" website person is such as open minded.

Stallion

First Grade
In this day and age of social media and an increased presence globally, the time maybe right to have another crack at South Africa..

The NRL should be trying to sell it's product to South African media and NRL clubs should play some games over there. Maybe play a WCC there..

Would love to see South Africa make a appearance at the 2021 RLWC..

Agree. Its easier to expose unfairness these days. So the repressive tactics that are not publicised are more likely to be known. The issue is that the neutrals have no idea that this repression is going on. In fact many on this forum aren't aware either.

Stallion

First Grade
I cant say im surprised that it has all come down to RU being bastards...

Its just a shame other bodies (ARL, RFL, IRLF)

Purely from an exposure stand-point (obviously the ground work in development would need support as well), the WCC would be a great one to more...

This is also why i would like to see 9s expanded with a 9s World Cup; rather than an RLWC that is spread over 6 weeks and a dozen venues, this would be 1 venue over a weekend or 2, a much safer beton it being successful and so much focus would go towards this one city.

Hell, even the NRL 9s could be moved around the world. I reckon the players would be keen for the new audiences and new locations.

We are left explaining the differences between Rugby Competition and Rugby Competition to 11 year olds, because apparently RL hates having its brand recognised by anyone other that the already hard-core fans...

I dont care what RL is called in Australia (more recognised that Union, so who cares). But in places where Union has the ascendency, i dont know why we cling to a brand that makes us impossible to distinguish.

What's even more disappointing that this sort of thing(repression) is happening! I would suggest the RU people lift their act and become an inclusive and open minded organisation, It's quite clear bigotry pervades their thinking.

Should not be up to a sport like RL to change its name at all! After all it is a breakaway version of rugby which happened to be more attractive to the eye and, from personal point of view, much more democratic and satisfying to play.(I have played both rugby codes and others)

The bigotry is the issue not the name rugby league!

Stallion

First Grade
Imo if there was the will (by someone with money and influence) there would be a way to get the SA government (and others) on board. But yeah, basically the NRL doesn't really concern itself with the politics and struggles of the international game.

Develop the game in Ireland, Scotland, and Argentina where there's likely less political pushback... in 10 years or so I daresay South Africa would notice being the only team in the top 10 Rugby rankings that don't play both forms.
Basically, legitimising our own international game through growth elsewhere is likely to be a more effective strategy in changing attitudes than stomping around complaining that no one is paying attention. Currently, what does South Africa have to gain by investing in Rugby League?

Answer to the question: A superior rugby code!

You mention Ireland. I was emailed a story that some Aussies that were playing union in Ireland were told by the Irish rugby union administrator " You can play any other sport except for rugby league." This was in response to a request from the two players to play rugby league in the off season.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Corresponded with Dave early 90's then went to South Africa to meet him in 1994. Within hours of touching down in Johannesburg I was at a clinic with him ! Union were an enemy, but internal politics and some overgrown egos in the embryonic RL fraternity didn't help either. Also think the tours to South Africa at the time (Qld Residents were one from memory) probably could have done more to help out at grassroots. Couldn't fault Dave's passion ....just think the high ranking RL authorities across the globe sided with the wrong people. Saw for myself a letter from the ARL basically telling Dave to leave the code's future to others. This is now nearly 25 years ago.......Another opportunity let slip.by ......

So a story of apathy within the game's administration as well as repression from union. It tells why rugby league isnt worldwide.

Stallion

First Grade
Good point. We need to create the 'fear of missing out' factor by growing our international scene. The world cup grows larger with each edition and soon it will be a very attractive carrot for most nations, especially those like South Africa with Rugby talent already and can see an opportunity to quickly rise up the RL ranks.

Agree. Soccer has done that. But soccer doesnt and hasnt got a big brother code repressing it.

Stallion

First Grade
To the forum operator. It's odd that other people are mentioning the repression theme and you don't seem to be transferring or 'hiding' their content. I believe you are acting as a "bully " . My comments are relevant and informative. I will be looking to officially complain if this 'bullying' continues. It's not right or fair.

Stallion

First Grade
Toronto have just signed Joe Westerman from Warrington and Andy Ackers from London Broncos. If they're not in Super League by 2019 then there must be some real quality in the Championship. Imagine one day Toronto playing a WCC match in Canada! how big that will be for the sport.

I'd suggest caution as u are aware that 'big brother ' rugby union will no doubt raise its ugly head some way and somehow. That code has a track record of putting roadblocks about when rugby league starts to grow too much . I have sent a direct email to the Toronto Wolfpack congratulating their efforts to date with a warning about rugby union a number of months ago.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Apparently my post on Kenyan rugby league was deleted as it wasnt sourced. Il find the information and quote whats required.

Stallion

First Grade
Apparently my post on Kenyan rugby league was deleted as it wasnt sourced. Il find the information and quote whats required.

Lol. Im up against it here. The editor or site operator is making things tough for my efforts.
Its school holidays so il cop it for now. Will find the source and quote details of what recently happened to Kenyan rugby league with respects to govt funding.

Stallion

First Grade
The what??

I’ll mention who the f**k I want to mention....

I don’t know if your even from NZ...

but here’s a news flash dickwad... all NZ sports teams are compared to the All Blacks...

They are the gold standard in consistency and achievement in sports in this country...

and are considered very highly across most sports across the world...

So you can rah-rah your arsehole for all I care motherf**ker...

I would suggest their lofty position in NZ is due to not allowing or minimising rugby league in the schools throughout NZ except some in the Auckland area. Apparently after the war RL was making some real progress and something happened (blackbanning of players etc) that stifled rugby league's progress. I'm sure their other tricks as seen in other countries where rugby league sprouts its wings and is stifled.

Matua

Bench
I would suggest their lofty position in NZ is due to not allowing or minimising rugby league in the schools throughout NZ except some in the Auckland area. Apparently after the war RL was making some real progress and something happened (blackbanning of players etc) that stifled rugby league's progress. I'm sure their other tricks as seen in other countries where rugby league sprouts its wings and is stifled.
Grow up man, rugby is just a bigger game in NZ and always has been - it's just the opposite of the east coast of Oz.

On the plus side most NZ rugby fans follow the Warriors and the Kiwis, although at the moment most fans can see that there's something rotten at the top of both those organisations so interest is likely slipping.

Anyway, the Kangaroos are going to walk this WC unless England can put up some resistance.

Stallion

First Grade
Grow up man, rugby is just a bigger game in NZ and always has been - it's just the opposite of the east coast of Oz.

On the plus side most NZ rugby fans follow the Warriors and the Kiwis, although at the moment most fans can see that there's something rotten at the top of both those organisations so interest is likely slipping.

Anyway, the Kangaroos are going to walk this WC unless England can put up some resistance.

Not a case of growing up mate. Theirs reasons for a relatively unattractive version of rugby in union being stronger than the improved and more entertaining version of rugby in league. You will no doubt be incensed by what ive stated however Im calling a spade a spade and the conservatism that seems evident in NZ has emanated from stringent controls in its scholastic system that has limited the growth of little brother 'rugby league' Thats my take on it. I respect that you have been immersed in a different 'culture' for want of a better word . But that's my read on things from a big picture perspective. Don't get me wrong I have played both codes of rugby and found rugby league to be much more democratic and inclusive on the field. I know you dissagree however thats my perspective.

Stallion

First Grade
You did lie ....Here, where you were asked which other sports allow players to swap between international teams.:

Its not true, therefore a lie.
yet another lie.
Except for a one off change required buy the IOC when 7's was admitted to the Olympics, Rugby has a one country for life rule.

A question for you
Te haka: DO YOU THINK RUGBY LEAGUE IS GIVEN A FAIR GO OF IT IN NEW ZEALAND? I'm referring to school access in particular throughout New Zealand.

Stallion

First Grade
A tad inconsistent from the moderator or editor? So how does someone like Te Haka get away with calling me a liar when my observations may be perfectly true? Then again you are continually putting some of my valid points in this thread which has a title that is unfair and incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.