What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refereeing The Magic Round sin bin directive

Wizardman

First Grade
Im all for doing what we can to protect players from head injury. But, this head protection sin binning directive has been absolutely crazy. It has destroyed two games this round already.

I'd even be okay with the guys making contact to the head to have some time off the game.....but don't destroy the contest that the crowd and television audience pay for and hope to see.

Lets hope this directive is knocked in the head after tonight.

Saxon

Bench
I do not like it Sam-I-Am.

ReddFelon

Juniors
I put the blame squarely on previous admin not doing anything to address concussion issues. The AFL basically call any contact of any kind above the shoulder high. The NRL unfortunately could have addressed this years ago with a tightening of the rules. Instead they left it, did nothing and now have to over correct.

But Broncos 6-50 :rofl:

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
The problem is there is so many in the tackle that the head gets hit , if they didn’t do this dominate shit , which made having more in tackles holding up players more beneficial than a one v one classic tackle players heads would have been protected

Chook Norris

First Grade
What a completely inept and utter overreaction by the NRL tonight. They've well and truly f**ed magic round.

If they were intending to attract more fans to the game, they've done the complete opposite. They've made the games a massive joke tonight.

Last edited:

Sphagnum

Coach
What a completely inept and utterly overreaction by the NRL tonight. They've well and truly f**ed magic round.

If they were intending to attract more fans to the game, they've done the complete opposite. They've made the games a massive joke tonight.
Tbf, they were 2 pretty shit games between four bottom 4 teams so they might as well experiment on them

Slackboy72

Coach
I put the blame squarely on previous admin not doing anything to address concussion issues. The AFL basically call any contact of any kind above the shoulder high. The NRL unfortunately could have addressed this years ago with a tightening of the rules. Instead they left it, did nothing and now have to over correct.

But Broncos 6-50 :rofl:
I put the blame squarely on Hollywood Harrigan's shoulders.
He turned the 5m into an 8m.
He stopped penalising teams to "keep the game flowing".
He gave leg ups to teams behind in contests to "keep it interesting".
He stopped using the bin and the send off, and we started putting people on report "to keep the numbers equal".
Pundits like Gould praised him as the gold standard as shoulder charges to the head crept higher and higher.

Now we have no shoulder charges.
Now we have a generation of refs who have ignored the rule-book.
Now we have the consequences of legal action.

f**k Bill Harrigan the weaselly Super League pinup merkin.

There will be 30+ bins this weekend surely .... it’s like watching Steve Clark ref on repeat lol
f**k the broncos
Looking forward to us getting at least three tmrw .... young is odds on

Sphagnum

Coach
There will be 30+ bins this weekend surely .... it’s like watching Steve Clark ref on repeat lol
f**k the broncos
Looking forward to us getting at least three tmrw .... young is odds on
The only way I’d notice he was even playing is if he got ten in the bin. Absolute passenger.

ReddFelon

Juniors
I put the blame squarely on Hollywood Harrigan's shoulders.
He turned the 5m into an 8m.
He stopped penalising teams to "keep the game flowing".
He gave leg ups to teams behind in contests to "keep it interesting".
He stopped using the bin and the send off, and we started putting people on report "to keep the numbers equal".
Pundits like Gould praised him as the gold standard as shoulder charges to the head crept higher and higher.

Now we have no shoulder charges.
Now we have a generation of refs who have ignored the rule-book.
Now we have the consequences of legal action.

f**k Bill Harrigan the weaselly Super League pinup merkin.

All of this is true too. I remember mid 90s games. Swinging arm to the head automatic send off. Then this report garbage started. I think it was 2018 when commentators were laughing because there was the first send off since 2015.