What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refereeing The Magic Round sin bin directive

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
Read buzz tweet , thinks was an over-reaction today

He must be upset the infringements were against nobodies, he only cares when something happens to the best players

Freddy also better not complain over the weekend , he was pushing for this shit on 100% footy

Im all for doing what we can to protect players from head injury. But, this head protection sin binning directive has been absolutely crazy. It has destroyed two games this round already.

I'd even be okay with the guys making contact to the head to have some time off the game.....but don't destroy the contest that the crowd and television audience pay for and hope to see.

Lets hope this directive is knocked in the head after tonight.

I get the impression the ARLC have had the lawyers in their ears...

Advised to set an undeniable precedence that they have done everything in their power to take head injuries seriously... in the event that...

Any current player(s) eventually suffer from CTE....

It’s an arse-covering exercise... which is at risk of killing the sport.

bileduct

Coach
You only had to look at the crusher tackle rule to know exactly how this was going to end up.

The question is how long will the NRL persist with this crackdown? With the amount of hysteria after two games you would think sanity will prevail and it'll be back to business as usual by next weekend. Something also tells me that for the rest of "magic round" we're not going to see the top clubs subjected to the same interpretations we saw tonight even though the incidents will be pretty much the same.

I feel like the NRL are really digging a hole for themselves with the flurry of rule changes since covid19. The goal of speeding up the game is a noble objective, but I'm not sure they're actually targeting the right things. What always felt slow about the game to me was how reliant referees are on the bunker. I swear the games are in an even worse state now as even more time seems to be spent f**king around looking at tries, captain's challenges and now, as we saw tonight, going back five tackles to find a penalty.

It's all becoming quite ridiculous and I don't enjoy watching games anywhere near as much as I used to. Sure, my team are playing like a bunch of mongoloid merkin shitbags but I I used to enjoy watching all the other games of the round and now it's just background noise while I'm usually concentrating on something else.

AJB1102

First Grade
Freddy also better not complain over the weekend , he was pushing for this shit on 100% footy

I heard that and immediately thought careful what you're asking for Freddy.

If Teddy doesn't wanna risk those collisions he's more than welcome to pass earlier and not dig into the line. Of course he won't be nearly as effective at engaging defenders and creating space but it'll give them more time to try not hit him high when he drops from 5'9" to 3'4" in a split second.

gerg

Juniors
Read buzz tweet , thinks was an over-reaction today

He must be upset the infringements were against nobodies, he only cares when something happens to the best players

It's what our sport does. The journos whinge non stop about an issue. The NRL reacts (overreacts) and then the same journos whinge. The NRL backflips, ref's get confused... rinse and repeat.

AJB1102

First Grade
It's all becoming quite ridiculous and I don't enjoy watching games anywhere near as much as I used to. Sure, my team are playing like a bunch of mongoloid merkin shitbags but I I used to enjoy watching all the other games of the round and now it's just background noise while I'm usually concentrating on something else.

Can't agree more. Especially about my team playing like a bunch of mongoloid merkin shitbags.

It's what our sport does. The journos whinge non stop about an issue. The NRL reacts (overreacts) and then the same journos whinge. The NRL backflips, ref's get confused... rinse and repeat.

Agreed. And for me, particularly with the refs... the powers that be keep changing the rules, and dictate “crackdowns”... so there’s more pressure on the single referee to manage a whole game on their own, keep up with all the changes and what his “masters want”...

The job is tough enough as it is without changing rules, “speeding the game up”, and the PR war dictating crackdowns.... the poor bastard with the whistle hardly stands a chance...

Yet I bet we don’t hear anyone in the media brown nose circuit dare question Vlandys here. If the same thing happened under Greenberg they’d light up like New Year’s Eve...

Vlandys saved the NRL now he’s turning it into a circus.

lazza

Juniors
I dont mind protrecting players - but they do need to tweak the rules with the increasing sin bins and penalties. 3 changes would be:
1. Bring back 5 in the bin for repeat offenders / peofessional fouls - with fatigue, 10 is too long. 10 should be for bad stuff.
2. Player comes back on after points scored
3. Scoring side kicks off.

They need to rebalance the rules of the game to maintain the spectacle yet peotect the players.

I dont mind protrecting players - but they do need to tweak the rules with the increasing sin bins and penalties. 3 changes would be:
1. Bring back 5 in the bin for repeat offenders / peofessional fouls - with fatigue, 10 is too long. 10 should be for bad stuff.
2. Player comes back on after points scored
3. Scoring side kicks off.

They need to rebalance the rules of the game to maintain the spectacle yet peotect the players.

Im completely against thx crackdown but if they persist... the best rule change is suggest is that ..

the sin-binned player can be replaced with a sub at he discretion of the coach. The sub counts as a replacement.

But that’s putting a bandaids over a gaping wound inflicted by the NRL - on themselves.

mave

Coach
More discussion about the refs and the madness of the NRL mid season changes than actually about the footy.

When will these fools at HQ learn that it is pointless trying to attract "soccer mums" to Rugby League....it just flat out is not going to happen.

For every change made to attract these types, the rusted on fan gets a touch less engaged with the sport.

no name

Coach
Imagine expecting players to change their technique, mindset etc. from one week to another.
I agree with a couple of earlier posters who mentioned that refs like Harrigan would allow sides to blatantly break the rules to let the ‘game flow’.
20 years of that completely changes the way the game is played and it takes a long time to drag that back.
These ‘crackdowns’ need to be at the start of the season so that coaches and players can adjust over the off season.

Imagine expecting players to change their technique, mindset etc. from one week to another.
I agree with a couple of earlier posters who mentioned that refs like Harrigan would allow sides to blatantly break the rules to let the ‘game flow’.
20 years of that completely changes the way the game is played and it takes a long time to drag that back.
These ‘crackdowns’ need to be at the start of the season so that coaches and players can adjust over the off season.

But that’s not the V’landys way.

Latest posts