What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refereeing The Magic Round sin bin directive

souths_reborn

Juniors
Will a yellow/red card system ease this a bit? Means no rash sinbinnings and puts the “offending” player on notice...

Far from ideal, but this ain’t league
Not really. As soon as you have a situation with uneven numbers on the field, it gives a massive advantage to the team with 13 on the field. Furthermore, 10 minutes in the modern game is a long time. Back when the game was played under the 5m rule, it was a bit harder to exploit the advantage of having an extra man because it was harder for the attacking team to spread the ball before the defence moved up. Under the 10m rule, with players faster and more skilful than ever before, it is much easier to move the ball laterally and exploit the space created by the defence from being a man down.

I guarantee you the best way of eradicating headshots is to hand out length suspensions. There is a precedent for this already back in the 1980s when Jim Comans was in charge of the judiciary and cleaning up the game from acts of thuggery.

S.T.G

Bench
This game is dead
They have ruined it
The dragons were never going to win this game , the WWF storm are to good
but I switched of after 5 minutes.
When does the girl competition start ?

S.T.G

Bench
This game is dead
They have ruined it
The dragons were never going to win this game , the WWF storm are to good
but I switched of after 5 minutes.
When does the girl competition start ?

myrrh ken

First Grade
images

Ball just left his hands so not late
Falldesco is inches from being on his knees is struck low on the jaw by a player with there arm well below shoulder height and is in fact slightly crouched themselves.

Borderline send off what a joke.
If the tackler got his arm any lower he'd be scratching his own balls.

Joke

Perth Red

Post Whore
Pretty much stuffed up the entire magic weekend event, nice work Vlandys, you couldnt have waited a week before screwing the game up?

souths_reborn

Juniors
Pretty much stuffed up the entire magic weekend event, nice work Vlandys, you couldnt have waited a week before screwing the game up?
This is something that should have been addressed in the off-season. To implement something this drastic mid-season was always going to back fire given how game-altering it is to be binning and sending players off. Unfortunately, that is one of the side-effects of having a head of the NRL Commission who does not know or understand the game.

lazza

Juniors
I hate the hip drop tackle... and I don't get why the nrl only protects the head but not any other body part that can potentially sideline someone or ruin someone's career. Hip drop is more deliberate imho

souths_reborn

Juniors
I hate the hip drop tackle... and I don't get why the nrl only protects the head but not any other body part that can potentially sideline someone or ruin someone's career. Hip drop is more deliberate imho
I would say its because the NRL wants to have a "free-flowing" spectacle. The more that you have to police in the tackle, the more penalties that you will and ultimately, this will lead to stoppages.

The other thing to consider is that gone are the days of the traditional legs tackle. I know there are some fine exponents of it but the view these days is that this is a high risk-low reward tackle. If the tackler gets his head in the wrong spot he cops a knee and goes down with a concussion. Tackling around the legs also compounds the risk of a high shot from the second player coming in to wrap up the ball-carrier as he will likely be falling.

jim_57

Staff member
I cannot remember a time similar to this post Super League when 1 weekend can have so many people upset.
I agree with some earlier posts that if the NRL continues down this path I'm probably out. I wouldn't switch to AFL but I have a lot of things I can do with my time and I have no interest in investing my time/energy in to something that can be decided by a lottery of someone falling in to a tackle.

V'Landys has tried to reinvent the wheel in the aim of making the game fast. You know what slows the game down more than anything? The stoppages when a team scores 10 tries because the opposition has a player sent off for getting his chest headbutted.

Last edited:

forby

Juniors
What happened to the crackdown on restarts? The Titans gave away 8 without even a warning! They should have been down to 11 players at some stage in the 2nd half.

lazza

Juniors
V'Landys has tried to reinvent the wheel in the aim of making the game fast. You know what slows the game down more than anything? The stoppages when a team scores 10 tries because the opposition has a player sent off for getting his chest headbutted.

They'll need to tweak the rules for sure to maintain the spectacle - sometimes the high shots are accidents (but still worthy of a send off) but to ruin the game for all the fans and the other players for 1 mistake is too much.

Losing an interchange player (is that player can't play anymore) is something they need to explore as its just as bad having 17 vs 16. 10 mins with 12 is had enough but for 70 mins is practically impossible.