What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refereeing The Magic Round sin bin directive

lazza

Juniors
V'Landys has tried to reinvent the wheel in the aim of making the game fast. You know what slows the game down more than anything? The stoppages when a team scores 10 tries because the opposition has a player sent off for getting his chest headbutted.

They'll need to tweak the rules for sure to maintain the spectacle - sometimes the high shots are accidents (but still worthy of a send off) but to ruin the game for all the fans and the other players for 1 mistake is too much.

Losing an interchange player (is that player can't play anymore) is something they need to explore as its just as bad having 17 vs 16. 10 mins with 12 is had enough but for 70 mins is practically impossible.

souths_reborn

Juniors
I cannot remember a time similar to this post Super League when 1 weekend can have so many people upset.
I agree with some earlier posts that if the NRL continues down this path I'm probably out. I wouldn't switch to AFL but I have a lot of things I can do with my time and I have no interest in investing my time/energy in to something that can be decided by a lottery of someone falling in to a tackle.

V'Landys has tried to reinvent the wheel in the aim of making the game fast. You know what slows the game down more than anything? The stoppages when a team scores 10 tries because the opposition has a player sent off for getting his chest headbutted.
What about a few years back when Todd Greenberg decided to crack down on the ruck and we had the refs blowing penalties left, right and centre? That was the round when the Sharks played the Storm and we had something like 38 penalties in the game and Cameron Smith got sent to the sin bin.

This whole high tackle crack down has been so poorly thought out it is not funny. You only have to use basic logic to realise that you cannot implement something so drastic in such a short space of time and expect it to work. This initiative should have been trialled in pre-season, refined and then implemented at the start of next season. Unfortunately, we are stuck with an NRL Commissioner who does not think things through thoroughly before he implements them. If you want further proof of how moronic he is, have a listen to what he said about stripping Jarryd Hayne of his two Dally M awards.

Reflector

Juniors
The rules of Rugby League have changed over the years- from unlimited tackles to the 4th tackle rule and then the 5th tackle rule, from the 5m rule to the 10m rule and limited to unlimited interchange etc. The good thing about league is that (unlike Rugby) they're far more open to changing up the rules if need be to reflect changing trends in the game. I don't disparage Vlandys and the other powerbrokers from trying new rulings out. BUT-

This so called "Magic Weekend" has been a PR disaster. If Vlad and co refuse to budge from this stance on tackles that warrant a sin-bin or a send-off, they're going to struggle giving free tickets out to Magic Round 2022. I am already feeling uneasy, bordering on dread about what Origin is going to be like if they refuse to listen to the pundits and fans alike on these new rulings...

Reflector

Juniors
The rules of Rugby League have changed over the years- from unlimited tackles to the 4th tackle rule and then the 5th tackle rule, from the 5m rule to the 10m rule and limited to unlimited interchange etc. The good thing about league is that (unlike Rugby) they're far more open to changing up the rules if need be to reflect changing trends in the game. I don't disparage Vlandys and the other powerbrokers from trying new rulings out. BUT-

This so called "Magic Weekend" has been a PR disaster. If Vlad and co refuse to budge from this stance on tackles that warrant a sin-bin or a send-off, they're going to struggle giving free tickets out to Magic Round 2022. I am already feeling uneasy, bordering on dread about what Origin is going to be like if they refuse to listen to the pundits and fans alike on these new rulings...

Reflector

Juniors

some11

Referee
For fans of the 8 teams that lost and those who watched other games:

Did you think any of these games were a contest, at all? Did you get any enjoyment out of the weekend?

bileduct

Coach

Did you think any of these games were a contest, at all? Did you get any enjoyment out of the weekend?
Souths v Sharks and Roosters v Cowboys were both good contests that were ultimately ruined by bullshit refereeing. Raiders v Bulldogs was a pretty entertaining cripple fight.

That's about it.

blocka

Juniors
I hate the hip drop tackle... and I don't get why the nrl only protects the head but not any other body part that can potentially sideline someone or ruin someone's career. Hip drop is more deliberate imho
Neither of those dragons ones looked deliberate to hurt. If anything they just looked deliberately trying to tackle below the shoulders and get the player on the ground

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I didnt watch every game this weekend but i think some of the sin bins/send offs were fair enough and some were very rough. I think Wighton and Papalii were fair enough. Papalii just can't load up a shot like that and its better to just hug a guy to the ground. I appreciate what he was doing. We were very flat and he was trying to lift us by putting a hit on but losing him for the game + 3 weeks isnt a good outcome. Wighton was idiotically reckless and those type of shots should be rubbed out the game. Hodgson was frankly lucky to stay on the field.

I will be very curious if origin is reffed like this.

Anyways this goes back to a point long made by @mave there is no reward for pulling off a traditional grassing rugby league tackle because there is a) a lot of risk of sliding off and b) the attacking player will end up on their belly so the risk is very high the tackled player will leap to his feet and get a fast play the ball.

An example of what I mean is Beej sliding off Cordner in the 2019 GF that led to the Roosters match winning try.

So players will have one player go in high (wrap the ball up) and the other go low. This is to get the player onto his back to slow the ptb down. They have been coached to tackle like this for a decade at this point

Haffa

If I didn’t get freebies for Sunday in the members I wouldn’t have attended. They were the Lop sided games we all expected made worse by the rule changes.

Hope it dies tonight. What a terrible, terrible introduction and on magic round at that.
Read this from the BBC website, people have been getting away with high shots for far too long, about time the NRL enforced the laws of the sport.
In December, Popham and a small group of former players announced they were suing World Rugby, the RFU and the Welsh Rugby Union over brain damage.

Their solicitor Richard Boardman believes, based on research compiled for the case, that as much as 50% of the rugby-playing community could be left with some form of neurological issue.

"That's not to say everyone would end up with dementia, or a disease at the extreme end of the spectrum, but it could be things like short-term post-concussion syndrome, epilepsy and so on," he said.

"We believe this is an epidemic."

_118503503_mypost-18.jpg
IMAGE COPYRIGHTGETTY IMAGES

Former coaches and players have called for rugby union to follow safety practices introduced in the NFL
Questions the court case may consider are how much the rugby authorities knew about the dangers of concussion and when they may have found that out.

The BBC has seen reports showing head injuries were discussed at an International Rugby Board medical conference in 1975.

A neurosurgeon warned then that even "apparently slight" injuries could be life-threatening.

In 1992, at another rugby medical conference, two neurosurgeons said there was evidence of some permanent damage from even a single concussion, and warned three concussions should mean the end of someone's career.

World Rugby says the game continues to evolve and that while opinions on the management of concussion vary, it acts on scientific research.

BennyV

Referee
Neither of those dragons ones looked deliberate to hurt. If anything they just looked deliberately trying to tackle below the shoulders and get the player on the ground
When McGuire got penalised, my comment was that if anyone else was doing that tackle, there’s no penalty. Then when Sims got no penalty for a near identical movement, that confirmed it!

I hate seeing players get injured but as Ben Hunt said, it’s not f**king touch footy! Both defenders had ball runners wrapped around the waist and were trying to bring them down to the ground. There was no other movement that could be done. Ridiculous calls.

Mark B

Juniors
The two send offs were fair enough, but a few of the sin bins were dreadful decisions. Hopefully the game and those running it sorts it out. The Bronco sin binning was terrible IMHO.

nick87

Coach

TBH it's been that way all season long. These rules may have exacerbated things but this is an very lopsided competition this year.
There is 2 teams dropping a f**king hammer on literally everyone, there is 3 other teams who are belting the f**k out of everyone but the top 2 and then there is 11 teams who can be good to complete and utter f**king feces week to week.

The blow outs have been there all season long

Latest posts