What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refereeing The Magic Round sin bin directive

mave

Coach
It is impossible to be consistent. How does the bunker review every single tackle or contact in a game? He can't. The ref is calling players out from 6 tackles back, to put them on report but other times they're going back a set to bin someone. It's not sustainable.

We're all constantly complaining about incompetent referees but the powers that be are constantly making it more and more difficult for them.

No, it's entirely possible to be consistent.

Why do you think the ref is calling players out for a tackle a set ago ? The bunker is tipping him, obviously.

If a bloke hits with a high swinging arm, with intent in round 1 and doesnt get binned, then the bloke with a high swinging arm in round 12 should also not get binned.

Or alternatively , if a ruling body, suddenly decides to change the interpretation, then a guy who gets binned for a high swinging arm on Friday night, should also get binned for similar on a Sunday arvo.

gerg

Juniors
No, it's entirely possible to be consistent.

Why do you think the ref is calling players out for a tackle a set ago ? The bunker is tipping him, obviously.

If a bloke hits with a high swinging arm, with intent in round 1 and doesnt get binned, then the bloke with a high swinging arm in round 12 should also not get binned.

Or alternatively , if a ruling body, suddenly decides to change the interpretation, then a guy who gets binned for a high swinging arm on Friday night, should also get binned for similar on a Sunday arvo.

I totally agree with you but how does the bunker review every single tackle? He can't. That's why there is no consistency.

mave

Coach
I totally agree with you but how does the bunker review every single tackle? He can't. That's why there is no consistency.

Why can't he ?
What the f**k else are they doing all game ?

They clearly check plenty of tackles that the on field ref doesn't pick up.....thus why we have retrospective penalties.

Again...inconsistent

gerg

Juniors
Why can't he ?

They clearly check plenty of tackles that the on field ref doesn't pick up.....thus why we have retrospective penalties.

Again...inconsistent

I'm not quite sure why I have to spell this out for you? It's really no different to a bunker reviewing a try. Sometimes they have to review several different camera angles, several times to get a full appreciation of what has occurred. Now if they have to do that for every single tackle... it isn't possible when there is roughly 6 tackles in a minute multiplied by 80 minutes.

Munted

Bench
Why can't he ?

Again...inconsistent
Shut up you two.
Its simple.

After every tackle, we stop and reset the play. The bunker has time to review the tackle and clear it for any infringements before proceeding.

We will also give the coach's red flags to throw on the field should they wish to challenge any play and decision.

Balls will only be thrown flat/and or backwards out of the hands.

yobbo84

First Grade
Grant Atkins the last 4 weeks:

Rd 13 - Tigers v Panthers
21 penalties, 8 set restarts - 29 total

Rd 12 - Roosters v Raiders
20 penalties, 8 set restarts - 28 total

Rd 11 - Rabbitohs v Panthers
20 penalties, 6 set restarts - 26 total

Rd 10 - Tigers v Knights
17 penalties, 10 set restarts - 27 total

Over the past 4 weeks he has blown 110 infringements at an average of one every 2 minutes, 54 seconds.

This bloke needs reining in. He is overly harsh and inconsistent with the other referees, even during this crackdown.

LineBall

Juniors

Didn't know where else to post this but thought it would be of interest to some.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well we’ve now gone from the sublime to the ridiculous. From everything being binned to absolute lottery if its a penalty, sin bin or send off. Feldt and proctor on report for direct shoulders to the head,then we get a send off for exact same thing (probably even more accidental given way player was falling). The whole thing has become a roll of the roulette wheel.

Meth

Staff member
I thought the Curran one was bad. That one is as bad as it gets.

I actually like Chris Sutton as a referee but that was dogshit

Bronco18

Juniors
I’m not sure if it’s just because I’m a Broncos fan and we’re dogshit but is anyone else actually feeling very meh about games anymore? Even neutral games, more than they used to?

The absolute lottery over the on field decisions started with the 6 again for mine but the sin bin “crackdown” can turn a game with one decision.

I’m not sure if it’s a boy that cried wolf scenario in that league fans have been saying the games been going soft with any new punishments being implemented but it has totally soured the notion of a fair and genuine contest.

Latest posts