What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Media Union v League

In-goal

Bench
From the Courier in QLD

Not everyone is enamoured with rugby union's World Cup, writes Barry Dick.

Excuse me for just one moment if I don't get swept away by the hyperbole of the Rugby World Cup.

There is no doubt the Cup is a notable sporting event and one to be savoured by rugby aficionados and genuine sports lovers of all sorts but, please, spare me the over-the-top claims which damage the credibility of the code, and those who are "selling" it.

The world did not stop last Friday night for the Cup opening ceremony, nor did it stop when Australia played Argentina a little later and it certainly didn't stop when France played Fiji in Brisbane on Saturday night.

One Sydney newspaper claimed last week that four billion people worldwide would watch RWC. That's two-thirds of the world's population watching a sport which is the No. 1 football code in . . . let's add them up . . . one country.

Somehow I doubt few, if any, television sets in China, India, Indonesia, Pakistan, the United States – and I mention those five because they account for more than half the world's population – would be tuned in at any stage.

And let's have just a little realism with our six weeks of rugby. After England beat Georgia 84-6 last Sunday night in Perth, England coach Clive Woodward had this to say: "Georgia were fantastic. They were outstanding today, especially their attitude. Magnificent. It just shows that in the World Cup a team like Georgia can play.

"They acquitted themselves very, very well and played in an exemplary spirit."

Nice sentiments, Clive, but not exactly a true appraisal of a game in which Georgia's finest rugby players made 154 tackles to England's 40 and still missed more than they made.

A much more realistic assessment came from Georgia manager Zaza Kassachvili, who said the mere fact of Georgia's participation in the Cup outweighed its results in terms of importance.

There is no disputing that, just as there was no disputing the fact that the participation of countries such as Lebanon, Russia, Scotland and the Cook Islands in rugby league's World Cup in 2000 was infinitely more important than their results, but rugby league's toe-in-the-water experiment with a World Cup three years ago was battered from pillar to post by some of the same critics who are now lauding RWC 2003 as a wonderful success.

Poor old rugby league – the code which supplied three of the drawcard players in the Australian rugby union squad (Wendell Sailor, Mat Rogers and Lote Tuqiri) and taught New Zealand's first tryscorer in this tournament (Brad Thorn) most of what he knows about being a professional footballer – when it tried something on an international scale it was laughed at mercilessly.

Don't believe me? Here are some quotes from the critics in October and November 2000: "Forget about the (rugby league) World Cup, it's a lemon", "Where is the incentive in playing against a side which has no history in the game, few homegrown players and no talent?" (Did someone mention Georgia?) and "How about that rugby league World Cup eh? What do you mean 'Who cares?'."

Three years ago, when league's World Cup produced some terribly lopsided scorelines – Australia 110-4 over Russia, 66-10 over Samoa and 66-8 over Fiji; New Zealand 84-10 over the Cook Islands and England 76-4 over Russia to mention a few – it was described as a farce, or mickey mouse.

The first weekend of RWC 2003 gave us scorelines of 84-6, 70-7, 72-6 and 61-18 but these were greeted by "Who cares about results, it's the event that matters".

No argument there, but why was Fiji's 18-61 loss to France "an event" while their 8-66 loss to Australia three years ago "a farce"?

I'm not for one minute suggesting Rugby World Cup isn't a terrific event. It will generate plenty of income for Australia and will give people an enormous amount of pleasure at a time when we all need it.

So, enjoy the carnival, rugby fans. Enjoy painting your faces in national colours. Enjoy your national anthems being sung with more enthusiasm than at any other sporting event. Enjoy your Mexican Waves (even if Mexico doesn't have a team here). And most of all, have fun . . . but not with the truth.

Barry Dick is The Courier-Mail's rugby league editor.

So why does League get rubbished when Onion praised, this just gives me the shits.

ali

Bench
Brilliant article. Shame most of the tickets have already been sold. :cry:

I knew this would happen and its why I tried so hard to stop the propaganda before a ball was kicked. :evil:

JasonE

Bench
I emailed him to thank him for being the only journalist so far to tell it like it is.

I truly believe even those deadshite commentators have been embarassed by how poor it is, although by god they are trying to hide it.

Razor

Coach
ali said:

Coporate box sales are very low. Less than half have been sold.

For the France-Fiji game, on the Castlemaine stand only 7 of the 26 boxes had been sold. The Western stand, which has a lot more boxes, also less than half sold. The Broncos games, not sure on the Castlemaine stand, but the Western stand around 75% of boxes are sold usually.

The ARU purchased all the corporate boxes from Suncorp thinking they'd be all used, but how wrong were they. And corporate boxes is where a lot of the gate taking income comes from as well.

Misanthrope

Staff member
He hit the nail on the head, and I made a similar point over in the Newcastle Knights' forum. The scorelines are the same, it's just the paint the commentators and 'gurus' use that makes the Yawnion World Cup seem so much better.

Could I get the guys email address? I'd be keen to show my appreciation as well.

Chris

In-goal

Bench
That union reporter contridicted himself badly, league no action Union lots of action. He starts of saying why compare to different sports.

RU is trash, League once had real pushing scrums but because they were pathetic and continuosly created penalties they were scrubed.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I find myself watching Union and saying things like 'That was a bad kick', only to hear the commentator congratulating him on kicking it into touch on the full.

Hell, I heard them saying 'David Lyons runs with those knees up, what a great style'. Christ, do they have no intelligent players?

Chris

Bengal

Juniors
Razor said:
ali said:

Coporate box sales are very low. Less than half have been sold.

For the France-Fiji game, on the Castlemaine stand only 7 of the 26 boxes had been sold. The Western stand, which has a lot more boxes, also less than half sold. The Broncos games, not sure on the Castlemaine stand, but the Western stand around 75% of boxes are sold usually. Some games less.

The ARU purchased all the corporate boxes from Suncorp thinking they'd be all used, but how wrong were they. And corporate boxes is where a lot of the gate taking income comes from as well.

In all fairness to Union it is only France v Fiji.

I'm pretty sure they'd get more through their gates for those two teams than we would world cup or no world cup.

As for Spiro what a constant pain he is!

Costaki

Juniors
i want that guys e-mail
that was the biggest bulls hit article i have eva read.

he said union is more action then league is he f**ken blind or just f**ked

Moffo

Referee
i know its a bit 'troll like', but i think we should ALL email the papers and say how boring the union world cup has been. If we continue to push this negative image in the papers then it will get to everyone sooner or later :lol: :lol: :lol:

O'Neill's vision is falling down all around him. The word is out, the product isn't matching the hype. From day 1, that is what i always said is the fatal flaw of the product

Cheers,
Moffo

Moffo

Referee
lol, and its only week 1. I could see some union fans going crazy before the end of the tournament. Seems like a lot (and not necessarily Mint, i find him reasonable), can dish it out but can't take it

Suck it in big boys, the howls of protest aren't going to quieten down

I cant wait for John O'Neill to comment. Im sure its eating him alive inside at the moment

Cheers,
Moffo

Razor

Coach
There's a letter in the CM this morning from a RU fan who claims that Lebanon didn't have to play anyone to qualify for the Rugby League World Cup.

They also mention that RU is more popular than soccer in South Africa, Japan, Tonga, Fiji and Samoa.

What joke on both counts. The fact that Lebanon played Italy, Morocco and the US to qualify seems to escape his/her memory.

I won't, but I hope someone sends a letter in saying what a joke of a letter D.J. Bright wrote.

Rustay

Juniors
Razor said:
They also mention that RU is more popular than soccer in South Africa, Japan, Tonga, Fiji and Samoa.

South Africa - True
Japan - Dont think so
Tonga, Fiji, Samoa - True

Add New Zealand to the list of true as well.

Both games are good in my view. Both can be exciting and both can be boring. What ya gonna do about it, nuttin!

Big Bunny

Juniors
Rustay said:
Razor said:

South Africa - True
Japan - Dont think so
Tonga, Fiji, Samoa - True

Add New Zealand to the list of true as well.

Both games are good in my view. Both can be exciting and both can be boring. What ya gonna do about it, nuttin!

For South Africa it's true that RU is more popular than soccer amongst the white population but within the native population soccer is the main game.

In Japan soccer never was no.1 and the rugby union writer probably knew that. Baseball is far more popular than both soccer and rugby union.

gaterooze

Bench
Is this true:

"A peak television audience of 2.8 million people around Australia watched the Wallabies defeat the Pumas 24-8. This compares more than favourably with the 2.6 million who watched the rugby league final."

I thought I read that the League GF had a peak audience of well over 3 million. Does someone have these figures from a non-biased source?