What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The mid season form slump

carcharias

Immortal
I do not buy this "we need a loss" theory.

This club has been built on losing for the last decade or so. Hell, I think we lost 10 in a row THREE times in recent memory. We got the spoon 2014. We've been dudded, robbed, out classed, out played, out lucked. We've lost so many games in the last minute I don't even care to remember. We've had our hearts broken so many times that there was a period on this forum that most of us with a semblance of self awareness were questioning our mental health.

Win. Keep winning. Win again. Losing sucks. f**k that. It's our time. Drink every single last drop.
I'm with you.
my missus said to me last night after the game while watching M.Johns show.
"do you think they need to lose a game"?
I said. No. why?
Even if they win every game until the end of the year and they'll need to win all finals games anyway IMO.
...and if they do that, next year they can lose as many as they like in a row for all I care.

Its more that the amount of time that they are amazing is getting less every week.

Melbourne only scraped home against the Knights. It's a tough time of year for teams with a rep contingent and many teams on the pointy end of the ladder accept losses around Origin for this reason.

We are the best team in the comp. Tough, gritty, run hard, tackle hard and have some genuine attack. They wont get beat by the Knights so will go 15 in a row and should realistically get a shot at the record.

Incidentally, it is worth pointing out that the Sharks current record is the longest streak of the NRL era in a single season.

*The bulldogs 17 in a row does not count.

The Sharks are looking a bit scratchy of late. Thats good and bad. Good because they can still win despite not playing well. Bad because it means they aren't far away from having everything fall apart.

I know Flanno has said he won't be resting anyone, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to rest a few guys with niggling injuries. No point flogging your squad only to find that they're all busted come the finals.

We've managed injuries extremely well this year. Prior, Feki, Leutele etc. all told they won't be back in the team until there 100% fit from their respective injuries this year.

Holmes gets a hamstring tighten during a match they take him off for precaution.

Last night Maloney has a slight groin strain and he's straight off.

Doubt you'll see Maloney back next week. Precaution and forced rest.

Fafita had a self imposed rest this week because of suspension and Gal is off to Fiji next week.

Flanno has also said giving key players rests from training in these closing weeks to the finals which is good.

I can't knock the Club's management of players this year it has been ultra professional.

Special K

Coach
"rest" is basically giving the player a few days off during the week to spend time with family/friends. Fifita went to Fiji for 4 days with his family.

Maloney I'd say will play against Newcastle but have a rest during the week and with say Gallen rested Nu stays on the bench to replace him around the 60th again.

Inferno

Coach
The Sharks are looking a bit scratchy of late. Thats good and bad. Good because they can still win despite not playing well. Bad because it means they aren't far away from having everything fall apart.

I know Flanno has said he won't be resting anyone, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to rest a few guys with niggling injuries. No point flogging your squad only to find that they're all busted come the finals.

He might say that so it doesn't look like arrogance, but perhaps our key players could have a "calf strain" or the like and players like JSL and Capewell can get another gig.

I do not buy this "we need a loss" theory.

This club has been built on losing for the last decade or so. Hell, I think we lost 10 in a row THREE times in recent memory. We got the spoon 2014. We've been dudded, robbed, out classed, out played, out lucked. We've lost so many games in the last minute I don't even care to remember. We've had our hearts broken so many times that there was a period on this forum that most of us with a semblance of self awareness were questioning our mental health.

Win. Keep winning. Win again. Losing sucks. f**k that. It's our time. Drink every single last drop.

the theory of needing a loss is absolutely stupid imo

and the media keep trotting out the "do you think you need to drop a game before the end of the season"

why would you answer yes to that question?

every game is a contest and every game is winnable, why would you prepare your mindset for a loss?

I look at it from the other side of the coin, winning becomes a habit, equally as much as losing does and it can happen quickly

dont let self doubt and second guessing come into the equation, youll be down for the 10 count before you know it

PHaTMaN

Juniors
You learn the most in life from adversity. Given the Sharks recent years I don't think we've got much more to learn from loosing.

We have a pretty soft run coming up, we could easily make it to 20.

I agree with the above. However many people feel that battle of continuous winning is with intangibles more than the contest. i.e.. odds. In statistics, after spinning heads 14 times in a row, the chance of spinning heads again, is still 50/50. In reality, that result would be incredibly unlikely. this leads to gamblers fallacy which says the odds of the next spin be a tail has shortened immeasurably & will continue to do so until a tail is spun.
Pressure. Real or perceived. imagine going in to a grand final after winning 23 straight games. No thanks.

Last edited:

Craigshark

First Grade
Anyway.. Stuff the losing a game theory. Win absolutely everything we can. We haven't played anywhere near our best for weeks and are still winning. We played well against Penrith but that was with our second string squad. If we can play like that with the Origin players in the team, we'll absolutely murder a team.

Card Shark

Immortal
The talk of needing to lose 1 has already started...this is the focus we don't need, hence why losing 1 isn't too bad.

Having said that, we certainly play to win...if we lose, so what!

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can I view the amazing minutes/ordinary minutes stats somewhere?
Its based upon the number of happy minutes my wife has watching the Sharks play compared to minutes where shit is getting f**ked up and I'm removing furniture iotems out of the wall.

I've noticed in recent weeks a slight increase of furniture embedded in the walls.

Latest posts