What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Morgan Harper appreciation thread

yy_cheng

Coach
Russell probably has a high speed but not explosive acceleration that's why he doesnt look fast.

I think Gutho was clocked quite fast last year but doesnt have acceleration and doesnt look fast

84 Baby

Referee
Russell isn’t slow but serious pace?? That’s guys like Saab,Koula, JAC or the Hammer. He’s not close to those blokes.
On a break I don’t think they run him down, nor would he on them. The pace we’re really missing is the acceleration over 10-20 though. And that’s across the park, apart from Drown, Moses and Gutho. f**ken Leota showed us up last week. Would absolutely kill for another Fui in the forwards.

TheCrowe

Juniors
Russell probably has a high speed but not explosive acceleration that's why he doesnt look fast.

I think Gutho was clocked quite fast last year but doesnt have acceleration and doesnt look fast
I watched the clip of Russell running down Savage a few times. The first strides he takes after turning look pretty explosive.
He is on Savage really quick. Savage tries to go up a gear but Russell still reigns him in pretty easily.

yy_cheng

Coach
I watched the clip of Russell running Savage a few times. The first strides he takes after turning look pretty explosive.
He is on Savage really quick. Savage tries to go up a gear but Russell still reigns him in pretty easily.
Dunno, he doesnt look fast that's all lol.

TheCrowe

Juniors

Has a long stride instead of a fast smaller stride.
Watch his initial strides how quick he is on Savage. You can see Savage gives it all he has but Russell goes with him.

King-Gutho94

Coach

Gutho ran down Reece Walsh in Magic Round about 3 years ago before Walsh even got to halfway with a 10m head-start.

Like others said its his weird style that makes him look slow and he doesn't have that express acceleration but he isn't Luke Covell slow .

84 Baby

Referee
Gutho ran down Reece Walsh in Magic Round about 3 years ago before Walsh even got to halfway with a 10m head-start.

Like others said its his weird style that makes him look slow and he doesn't have that express acceleration but he isn't Luke Covell slow .
I don’t think Walsh or Savage are actually that fast. They’re explosive and aggressive which give them that 10m head start that can be enough. Because of their athleticism too, often the covering fullback doesn’t slow them down as much as “faster” players

hindy111

Post Whore

Gutho takes off like a slug. Its why he rarely busts the line and isn't really a danger running the ball unless there is a decent hole.
Walsh is dynamite. His speed creates space

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
He doesn't accelerate as quickly tho. Its all about acceleration.

for 10 or 20 metres maybe, but not for long range try, or to stop one like Russell did

They’re explosive and aggressive which give them that 10m head start that can be enough.

yeah, its those small steps which give the smaller blokes the acceleration but its those long strides which gives a bloke like Russell the pace over say 80 to 100 metres

different strokes

TheCrowe

Juniors
He doesn't accelerate as quickly tho. Its all about acceleration.
Watch again, look at the ground he makes up with his initial strides. Savage is surprised by how quickly he is on him and pushes even harder but Russell mows the prick down. He just doesnt look as fast.