What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The next 4 weeks.....

Chipmunk

Coach
Firstly I would like to say that I think last night was a fantastic team effort and we really had a crack. Our structure seems to be getting better with each time we play and it will be interesting to see how it improves for the remainder of the season.

We are 2 from 4, which is not too bad a start, considering the starts to some seasons we have had in the past. At least we can not say that the team has not turned up and not had a go in any of the first 4 rounds, which is a noticeable difference from the past few seasons. I think the next 4 weeks will be an interesting time though. It sees us come up against some strong opposition:

• Storm in Melbourne
  • Bulldogs at ANZ
  • Titans at Parramatta
  • Dragons in WIN Jubilee

I will be interested to see how well we go against all four of these teams. I would consider all four teams considerably better than the first 4 we have played, certainly generally more consistent for 80 minutes. All 4 teams will target immensely our right side defence, all 4 teams will ask a lot more questions of our defence on our own line, all 4 teams will put a lot more pressure on our halves than has been put on them by the teams in the first 4 rounds.

I personally think you will see Robson/Mortimer/Keating under constant pressure and our right side defence pounded all game. It will be interesting to see how we handle that. I think Kearney has put all his eggs in one basket and is just about committed to Mortimer and Robson being the halves for at least the next 2-3 months.

If we can come away with another 2 wins over the next month before the Bye in Round 9 it’s probably a pretty credible start to the season to be 4 from 8. However, it’s fairly feasible we could come away with no wins in the next month and be 2 from 8…

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Firstly I would like to say that I think last night was a fantastic team effort and we really had a crack. Our structure seems to be getting better with each time we play

I think when they abandoned the structured play they were far more dangerous and scored points. The Cowboys had the right idea they shifted the ball a few passes wide getting out of trouble from their own end which made it impossible for us to pin them down.

Eels Dude

Coach
I think when they abandoned the structured play they were far more dangerous and scored points. The Cowboys had the right idea they shifted the ball a few passes wide getting out of trouble from their own end which made it impossible for us to pin them down.

Agree with this. You need to be able to surprise sides sometimes. Morts and Robson only have so many tricks up their sleeves which means the defence can predict what they're going to do and shut them down before they've even attempted the play so need to be a bit ad lib from time to time. The Cowboys do this very well hence why when they're on their game they can score a lot of points.

Next 4 weeks will be a big test. We can enjoy this win, but if we get smashed next week which is more likely than not, we'll all have the knives out again.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Very tough month. Id be very happy with 2 wins. Titans and Bulldogs are the softer of the four teams and we can take them.

lingard

Coach
Very tough month. Id be very happy with 2 wins. Titans and Bulldogs are the softer of the four teams and we can take them.

I don`t think I`d be calling the Bulldogs soft. Best forward pack in the comp. And the Titans finally got a win last night, so they might be getting stronger. I think it`s quite feasible that we won`t win any of those games.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Lets play one game at a time as injuries will have a real bearing on some of these games. So early in the season with our present squad developing this new attacking structure, 2/2 would be a great result. 4/4 is a good start to this season. We could then kick on to win 4/2 leaving us with 8 wins 6 losses and a good chance of being in the top 8. Then we have the foundation to launch a real challenge at the top 8 over the last 12 rounds.

caylo

Bench
Firstly I would like to say that I think last night was a fantastic team effort and we really had a crack. Our structure seems to be getting better with each time we play and it will be interesting to see how it improves for the remainder of the season.

We are 2 from 4, which is not too bad a start, considering the starts to some seasons we have had in the past. At least we can not say that the team has not turned up and not had a go in any of the first 4 rounds, which is a noticeable difference from the past few seasons. I think the next 4 weeks will be an interesting time though. It sees us come up against some strong opposition:

• Storm in Melbourne
  • Bulldogs at ANZ
  • Titans at Parramatta
  • Dragons in WIN Jubilee

I will be interested to see how well we go against all four of these teams. I would consider all four teams considerably better than the first 4 we have played, certainly generally more consistent for 80 minutes. All 4 teams will target immensely our right side defence, all 4 teams will ask a lot more questions of our defence on our own line, all 4 teams will put a lot more pressure on our halves than has been put on them by the teams in the first 4 rounds.

I personally think you will see Robson/Mortimer/Keating under constant pressure and our right side defence pounded all game. It will be interesting to see how we handle that. I think Kearney has put all his eggs in one basket and is just about committed to Mortimer and Robson being the halves for at least the next 2-3 months.

If we can come away with another 2 wins over the next month before the Bye in Round 9 it’s probably a pretty credible start to the season to be 4 from 8. However, it’s fairly feasible we could come away with no wins in the next month and be 2 from 8…

IMO its all about winning it up front, if we do that we can beat all those teams. Melbourne and the Dragons play a similar style and rely on wearing teams down so we have a good chance to beat them at their own game and we do know they are very unlikley to shift it wide early.

Eels Dude

Coach
IMO its all about winning it up front, if we do that we can beat all those teams. Melbourne and the Dragons play a similar style and rely on wearing teams down so we have a good chance to beat them at their own game and we do know they are very unlikley to shift it wide early.

They have much better cattle then we do and there's no way we'll be able to beat them at their own game without the strikepower those clubs have when push comes to shove. Best mixing it up.

caylo

Bench
They have much better cattle then we do and there's no way we'll be able to beat them at their own game without the strikepower those clubs have when push comes to shove. Best mixing it up.

Melbourne 6,7 and 9 are better but our 1-5 are very similar and our pack is much better IMO. If we play them through the middle and keep the on the backfoot all match we definatly can beat them at their own game.

lingard

Coach
Melbourne 6,7 and 9 are better but our 1-5 are very similar and our pack is much better IMO. If we play them through the middle and keep the on the backfoot all match we definatly can beat them at their own game.

Their 6, 7, and 9 aren`t just better than ours - they`re in another class altogether.

Chipmunk

Coach
We will win all four games easily. :crazy:

Obviously that isnt going to happen now.

I really think we will find out just how good a team we really are at the end of these 4 weeks.

We now meet the Dogs on Friday night, who will be out to impress after going down to the Dragons. Another big scoreline and our confidence will be shot for a long while....

I will be interested to see what other 8 or 9 changes the coach makes to the team...interestingly the two players that everyone just about agrees should be the first two changed, Robson and Mortimer, are the same two players that dont appear to be going anywhere and are one of the few positions that hasnt changed over the first 5 weeks.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The only viable alternative to Robson and Mortimer is Brad Murray, and he's been (understandably) sh*thouse this year.

Anyway, after today's flogging I think we'll start very well next week. But just like the Souths game, our opposition on Friday night are also coming off a loss.