What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion The next big thing in coaching that never got there.

Vee

First Grade
David Kidwell has been doing the rounds, but never landed an NRL gig. Can’t recall him ever getting tipped for a top gig but seems to have worked for about 5 clubs by now.
Got the Kiwi job but went the Maori route to the detriment of all others and blew it badly.

DeeJ

Bench
I thought former Broncos under 20's coach Kristian Woolf was on track to be a NRL head coach but it hasn't happened yet. I think he was an assistant coach for some clubs and did some Super league job. His biggest role yet was coach of the Tongan national side.

Reactions: Vee

Reflector

Juniors
Don't remember that, was he the Mariners coach?
He was the Mariners coach, and I recall in 2000 (after he'd taken over from Gus at the Roosters) reading that he was set to coach the CC Bears in their inaugural season at Gosford.

If only...

Saint Doc

Coach
I thought former Broncos under 20's coach Kristian Woolf was on track to be a NRL head coach but it hasn't happened yet. I think he was an assistant coach for some clubs and did some Super league job. His biggest role yet was coach of the Tongan national side.

he went to England last year, coached St Helens to the premiership, has them coming first currently and in the Challenge Cup Final. I wouldn’t write him off yet!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Justin Morgan did well at HKR over a decade ago and has held down numerous assistant roles since (Raiders, Storm, Warriors, Womens NZ team) but never in the mention for a HC job in NRL.

gerg

Juniors
There needs to be an investigation into why Tooves hasn't had another crack at it.

Jason Demetriou will coach the Rabbitohs to a premiership within three years, or, he may be remembered for all the wrong reasons.

Frailty

First Grade
Saw Jim Dymock in the Titans box tonight, he's been close a couple of times but probably won't get a head coach gig now. I remember the same comments being made about the immortal Steve Rogers back in the day, how blokes that missed a few jobs got a smell about them. David Fairleigh was the HC in waiting for the Bears.

Others?
Jim Dymock is an interesting one. Happy to be corrected, but from memory - part of the reason he left the Sharks was that he was disappointed when he didn't get the head coaching gig after Flanagan was given the flick.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Justin Morgan did well at HKR over a decade ago and has held down numerous assistant roles since (Raiders, Storm, Warriors, Womens NZ team) but never in the mention for a HC job in NRL.

He was mentioned when Kearney got the job at the Warriors. I was fully supportive of him getting the gig ahead of Kearney, but the dumbarse owners pushed the Kiwi angle. Then his name got flushed under the Kearney regime and he's never been talked about since. Should've got the Kiwis job ahead of David f**king Kidwell too.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
David Kidwell has been doing the rounds, but never landed an NRL gig. Can’t recall him ever getting tipped for a top gig but seems to have worked for about 5 clubs by now.

David Kidwell is a f**king dunce. He's doing incredibly well to continue getting gigs at any level, after losing to Fiji in a World Cup. I'll repeat that again - David Kidwell coached a Kiwis side to a loss to Fiji. Oh yeah, and a draw with Scotland. Then all our decent players went to play for Island nations (his greatest contribution to international league)

That's before you add in the time he white-anted Jason Taylor by holidaying with Robbie Farah and the Tigers players in the middle of a coup, the stupid 'Te Iwi Kiwi' shit, having the players sleep on a marae floor before a Test etc.

Just had a look at his Linkedin, it's hilarious. Lame management buzzwords all over the show. And it lists him as an assistant coach in the Kiwis from 2014-16, then completely leaves out the fact he was the coach from 16-18. Wonder why.

Vee

First Grade
Jim Dymock is an interesting one. Happy to be corrected, but from memory - part of the reason he left the Sharks was that he was disappointed when he didn't get the head coaching gig after Flanagan was given the flick.
That's my memory too. He was in for the Bulldogs as well when Dean Pay got the job, wasn't he?

Frailty

First Grade
That's my memory too. He was in for the Bulldogs as well when Dean Pay got the job, wasn't he?

Yep. Went to the Sharks as an assistant after being with the Bulldogs for 10 years.
He was also interim coach for a brief period before Hasler was appointed there.

Tiger Shark

Bench

Wonder if it was part that and part Morris not wanting him around ?

Either way Dymock is not HC material.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Jason Demetriou will coach the Rabbitohs to a premiership within three years, or, he may be remembered for all the wrong reasons.
Statements like this worked wonders at the Broncos.

Meaningless NRL Preview: Round 16, 2020 – JT's Sporting Reviews

hineyrulz

Post Whore
David Kidwell is a f**king dunce. He's doing incredibly well to continue getting gigs at any level, after losing to Fiji in a World Cup. I'll repeat that again - David Kidwell coached a Kiwis side to a loss to Fiji. Oh yeah, and a draw with Scotland. Then all our decent players went to play for Island nations (his greatest contribution to international league)

That's before you add in the time he white-anted Jason Taylor by holidaying with Robbie Farah and the Tigers players in the middle of a coup, the stupid 'Te Iwi Kiwi' shit, having the players sleep on a marae floor before a Test etc.

Just had a look at his Linkedin, it's hilarious. Lame management buzzwords all over the show. And it lists him as an assistant coach in the Kiwis from 2014-16, then completely leaves out the fact he was the coach from 16-18. Wonder why.
Good enough to be an assistant for Bea Arthur, no wonder the good sides have no problem scoring against us with the structure’s he puts in place. The only reason he still has a job at Parra he no threat to his Baldness. Just like our attack coach who has an even worse resume.

roofromoz

First Grade
Garth Brennan maybe. I wanted him to be named Panthers coach when Cleary got sacked in 2015 as he had coached a lot of the then u20s that are now a large part of the NRL team. He may have had more success than he did when he finally landed a gig at the Titans.

Latest posts