What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL will consider bringing broadcast production in-house

taipan

Referee
Wouldn't it increase averages like Magic Weekend?

If you had say a triple header at WSS, with a 30k capacity. Surely the NRL couldn't claim each club had a 30K home average on that day..IMO it's 10K each.It just looks fudgy wudgy.

taipan

Referee

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think splitting the games up and allowing the networks to bid for individual time slots would be great for driving up the total dollar value of the deal. If Ten (for example) snagged Friday night as their only game you would think they would promote the hell out of it.

There also needs to be a free to air game on every night (or afternoon in the case of Sunday). I know that was the plan initially last time until Fox cracked it. They can still have their super Saturday block even if one of the games is also on free to air. For me, the main selling point of Fox is all games live, not just two or three games live in a row on Saturday.

fox know subscription isn’t driven by exclusivity. Once you get half games on fta it becomes less attractive to be forking out for Fox for access to just another 4 games. Going to nine games could give Fox 5 exclusive games and fta the Saturday night game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And PR was sceptical about the outlay and what money would be coming in.If those figures advised by Masters are anywhere near correct, then Grant has at least left the NRL with a decent legacy.
Being heavily involved in the IT Industry as he was, he would have had some idea of what could be achieved.
That doesn't hide him from the fact he was a photo hog.

they’re not. Nrl Digital had a revenue of $21mill last year, unknown profit margin on that revenue. They would only be worth anything near $1billion if there was exclusive nrl games on digital but then you’d be losing the revenue from Fox.

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
they’re not. Nrl Digital had a revenue of $21mill last year, unknown profit margin on that revenue. They would only be worth anything near $1billion if there was exclusive nrl games on digital but then you’d be losing the revenue from Fox.

The outlay was $150m for 7 tears I understand.If the NRL digital is even worth half a billion,and I think Master's sources are better than ours, they are well ahead.An audit was conducted, not by you or me.
Spelt out the digital arm covers four aspects direct advertising, sponsorship, sales and broadcast.
According to Masters he stated his source noted it is a growing business already income exceeds expenditure. Unless you know what's in the line advertising, sponsorship, sales and potential broadcast down the line,you're p*ssing in the wind.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The outlay was $150m for 7 tears I understand.If the NRL digital is even worth half a billion,and I think Master's sources are better than ours, they are well ahead.An audit was conducted, not by you or me.
Spelt out the digital arm covers four aspects direct advertising, sponsorship, sales and broadcast.
According to Masters he stated his source noted it is a growing business already income exceeds expenditure. Unless you know what's in the line advertising, sponsorship, sales and potential broadcast down the line,you're p*ssing in the wind.

and? It’s bringing in a revenue of $21mill a year. How on earth could it be worth anything like that?

Grant wanted to put aside an additional $150mill of the new tv money to invest in digital. In 2018 they expended an extra $7.7mill for an extra revenue return of $14mill. A very successful outcome. What we can’t tell is what the profit margin is as it is buried in the event, sponsorship line so there is no details on total expenditure compared to total revenue.

even if we optimistically hypothesis that there is a 50% profit margin (and that is optimistic) that means nrl digital currently makes a profit of around $10mill a year. If you were to buy it for $1bill your going to be waiting a very very very long time to get a return lol.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
And PR was sceptical about the outlay and what money would be coming in.If those figures advised by Masters are anywhere near correct, then Grant has at least left the NRL with a decent legacy.
Being heavily involved in the IT Industry as he was, he would have had some idea of what could be achieved.
That doesn't hide him from the fact he was a photo hog.

No you think he was a photo hog because that is the perception the Daily Telegraph created for him to bring him down.

They never spoke of his achievements, as you say he was very knowledgable in IT.

He was also a league man to his bootlaces infact when his club in Brisbane, Souths, hit financial trouble he played the season virtually for free. He was captain of the club. Mal Meninga took over his centre spot in 1979. Grant was a very good player.

taipan

Referee
and? It’s bringing in a revenue of $21mill a year. How on earth could it be worth anything like that?

Grant wanted to put aside an additional $150mill of the new tv money to invest in digital. In 2018 they expended an extra $7.7mill for an extra revenue return of $14mill. A very successful outcome. What we can’t tell is what the profit margin is as it is buried in the event, sponsorship line so there is no details on total expenditure compared to total revenue.

even if we optimistically hypothesis that there is a 50% profit margin (and that is optimistic) that means nrl digital currently makes a profit of around $10mill a year. If you were to buy it for $1bill your going to be waiting a very very very long time to get a return lol.

Master's comments refers to the value(and yes that's debatable) in a couple of years.They are basing it on the future sponsorship, advertising dollars etc and the growth in the actual subscriber base which is well up on what was expected at this time.And the unknown of in house TV control.

So you can hypothesise ,speculate, do pilot studies as much as you like, it's not going to reflect the actuals in a couple of years time.And where does it suggest ,because it's supposedly valued at $1b in a couple of years, they plan to sell anything.It is an asset worth keeping, if it makes an ongoing profit ,in these tight times.
They have stated it has gleaned $7m dollars worth of game day sales.
If it were losing money, Vlad would get rid of it tomorrow.he doesn't like waste or losses.

taipan

Referee
No you think he was a photo hog because that is the perception the Daily Telegraph created for him to bring him down.

They never spoke of his achievements, as you say he was very knowledgable in IT.

He was also a league man to his bootlaces infact when his club in Brisbane, Souths, hit financial trouble he played the season virtually for free. He was captain of the club. Mal Meninga took over his centre spot in 1979. Grant was a very good player.

My photo hog was a bit of tongue in cheek.He did seem to be around when the cameras clicked.
The Telecrap only look fro negatives, and if they have a beef with any NRL officially they'll spend the rest of their waking lives to remove him.They didn't like the fact Dave Um and Agh (a News Ltd favourite son) got the flick and Grant came on board ,just like they did with Smith.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Master's comments refers to the value(and yes that's debatable) in a couple of years.They are basing it on the future sponsorship, advertising dollars etc and the growth in the actual subscriber base which is well up on what was expected at this time.And the unknown of in house TV control.

So you can hypothesise ,speculate, do pilot studies as much as you like, it's not going to reflect the actuals in a couple of years time.And where does it suggest ,because it's supposedly valued at $1b in a couple of years, they plan to sell anything.It is an asset worth keeping, if it makes an ongoing profit ,in these tight times.
They have stated it has gleaned $7m dollars worth of game day sales.
If it were losing money, Vlad would get rid of it tomorrow.he doesn't like waste or losses.

I never said it was losing money, just we don’t know how much profit. And as I said the only way it could be worth $1bill in a “couple of years” is if they ditched fox and had exclusive content subscription service.

taipan

Referee
I never said it was losing money, just we don’t know how much profit. And as I said the only way it could be worth $1bill in a “couple of years” is if they ditched fox and had exclusive content subscription service.

Then why the hell worry about someone predicting it will be worth $1bn or $750m whatever, in a couple of years.It's an asset that's growing, and the NRL have SFA assets of note to date.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Then why the hell worry about someone predicting it will be worth $1bn or $750m whatever, in a couple of years.It's an asset that's growing, and the NRL have SFA assets of note to date.

Because the NRL isnt going to ditch Fox and therefore the value of digital isnt going to be worth anything like that fanciful figure. Still if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy that journalists make figures up to make us feel good thats up to you.

As for NRl not having any assets, it has game content bringing in hundreds of millions, what do you mean it doesnt have any assets?

taipan

Referee
Because the NRL isnt going to ditch Fox and therefore the value of digital isnt going to be worth anything like that fanciful figure. Still if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy that journalists make figures up to make us feel good thats up to you.

As for NRl not having any assets, it has game content bringing in hundreds of millions, what do you mean it doesnt have any assets?

That's just your assumption about the value (and that's all it is).Didn't realise you were right up there with all the inside digital info. Doh of course Fox will continue, but at what level remains the big question.
So you're accusing Masters of BS?He is not the source of the original info.I put more faith in Masters 90%of the time,than you 10% of the time.

Your telling me how to suck eggs again,I'm fully aware of the revenue via Tv etc.
The NRL has got money in the Bank again you're giving me a "scoop" LOL..Of course you always tend to whine about the annual profit.
We should have had our own ground decades ago at St Peters Brick pit site.Later of course we wasted all that money in the SL war, remember that?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good on you, the worlds history is full of gullible people believing the BS of others. If you can give me any scenario where the NRL's digital rights are worth a $billion I'm all ears. You'd need a digital profit margin of ten times its current level. Only way that would happen would be to dump Fox and sell majority of games exclusively on its own platform. Do you really believe that is a possibility in a couple of years time?

Why would we have our own stadium? Stadiums dont make a return on investment unless you can convince a Govt to build it for you and then take it over for a fraction of the actual cost of building it like AFL did with Marvel. You think the NSW Govt are going to be that obliging?

taipan

Referee
Good on you, the worlds history is full of gullible people believing the BS of others. If you can give me any scenario where the NRL's digital rights are worth a $billion I'm all ears. You'd need a digital profit margin of ten times its current level. Only way that would happen would be to dump Fox and sell majority of games exclusively on its own platform. Do you really believe that is a possibility in a couple of years time?

Why would we have our own stadium? Stadiums dont make a return on investment unless you can convince a Govt to build it for you and then take it over for a fraction of the actual cost of building it like AFL did with Marvel. You think the NSW Govt are going to be that obliging?

The world is full of negativism ,with people who won't get off their a*ses because its too hard.They can't see the wood for the trees.
Branson would never have got involved with airlines etc if the negative mob took over.

I didn't say they were definitely anything ,I passed on a figure that was advised to Masters.I stated I trust the figures rather than your guestimates.I also stated if the figure was $1b or $750m in a couple of years, that digital dept has grown.Because like you and you kid yourself if you know, who the digital audit was undertaken by,the value of direct advtg in 2 years time, ditto sponsorship, ditto sales,ditto broadcast,ditto possible in house with Fox.

Masters has stated "A billion dollar valuation would appear preposterous,considering the initial investment was $150m over 7 years.
However the digital arm is far more than it's online site" Providing details as to the content..

Well champ you haven't proven any of his comments as being false, just because you throw around hypotheticals and figures in your head..
So provide me with the actuals across the various digital income sources plus online fan info and apps plus expectations in 2 years time, and I
will bow to your "superiority."

I don't know what will happen in 12 months.Who had a clue we';d have offical interest rates at .75% last year.I expected memberships to be up overall in 2019,I got that wrong.

Jack Gibson used the right description for these negative types"They'd boo Santa Claus."Maybe because I mix with people who have a positive approach to life, despite setbacks at times.

In the early days probably before you were born, having a major stadium then was considered a big plus.Just as I guess the AFL owning the stadium in Victoria is now.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Hmm Fox will probably retain rights but have to produce generic, nrl branded broadcasts so the NRL can on sell to FTA, online etc.