What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The off contract thread 2023

jason taylor

Bench
Why would you bother keeping a bloke at the back end of his career, that the coaching staff seem reluctant to even bother giving a game to after two years?
Oh I agree, my point is only keep him if Will Smith isn’t retained, because that’s a roster spot that needs to be filled (we do need to field a NSW cup team and have a 30 man squad after all) That being said, I don’t see Rankin getting an extension. Especially considering he wasn’t in the bubble.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Smith: must not retain. He is not up to it. If you have to have a player who is not first grade standard, but will play for peanuts, then you go with a defensive toiler.
Can't carry a guy who thinks he is good in attack, and who makes terrible decisions at crucial times.

Find another backup hooker.

Just teach Perham to pass from dummy half or something - he might just be dynamite as a 20 minute interchange hooker

strider

Post Whore
Smith: must not retain. He is not up to it. If you have to have a player who is not first grade standard, but will play for peanuts, then you go with a defensive toiler.
Can't carry a guy who thinks he is good in attack, and who makes terrible decisions at crucial times.

Find another backup hooker.

Just teach Perham to pass from dummy half or something - he might just be dynamite as a 20 minute interchange hooker
I think will smith has been very good ... versatile, strong defender ... just needs some boundaries to work within ... if he is near minimum contract then he is worth a year

King-Gutho94

Coach
I think will smith has been very good ... versatile, strong defender ... just needs some boundaries to work within ... if he is near minimum contract then he is worth a year

Your right about the boundaries for will smith. Leave all the fancy stuff to the others just run, pass and tackle

oldmancraigy

Coach

Do you think he can work within boundaries?

He thinks he is far better than he actually is, and so overplays his hand. He will do 9 good things, then an absolute clanger at acrucial moment.

If some players are described as clutch because they make the right decision in crucial moments, then Will Smith is un-clutch. He is a disaster who makes the wrong decisions and makes losing contributions, not winning.

All the small things... that's how I see him anyway. Not a first grader, and not worth even a minimum deal, might as well spend it on a young prospect instead

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
As much as I love Gutho at FB for the non-attacking stuff and he is excellent at it, especially kick diffusals, rucking out, cover defense, I agree with everyone else that he needs just that little bit of pace and footwork that could make him awesome like Latrell and Turbo.. These players know they can score... Gutho knows he needs to depend on others...

I reckon Russell can be moulded into a Turbo player like player but he probably won't be as good as Gutho in the other areas.... A roving Russell from the Wing ala Semi?
He's probably not in the same postcode as Brett Kenny for talent, but Russell certainly reminds me of him, the way he moves. Plus they both have two first names.

yy_cheng

Coach
He's probably not in the same postcode as Brett Kenny for talent, but Russell certainly reminds me of him, the way he moves. Plus they both have two first names.
he reminds me of Turbo more. Tall strong.

Kenny was silky and saw things happen in slow motion... it looked like he had heaps of time.

If Russell can get more weight/strength on to his frame... I could see him like turbo and just following the ball around and then doing stuff

The Predictor

Juniors
Maybe Smith for another season as a depth player (seems to be the go with him the last few season, and he is a handy utility when required) and Hughes who is still developing, but I can see the rest being let go.

Ferguson - pretty clear from the media that he’s gone. Personally wouldn’t oppose a giving him another season.

Oldfield - we have Opacic, Russell and Laizou as cover for the backline. I’d go for youth rather than a fringe first grader “veteran” in this case.

Rankin - doesn’t seem like he’s close to getting a look in first grade. Though worth keeping on a one year deal if Smith isn’t retained.

Roache - I’m 50/50 on this one. With Lussick gone, we need a backup hooker, which Roache is capable of filling. However, his track record with injuries is a worry.
I heard they are releasing Roache

“The Parramatta Eels have bid farewell to four players following the conclusion of the 2021 NRL season.

Blake Ferguson, Joey Lussick, Michael Oldfield and Sam Hughes will depart the Eels to pursue other opportunities.”

strider

Post Whore
Do you think he can work within boundaries?

He thinks he is far better than he actually is, and so overplays his hand. He will do 9 good things, then an absolute clanger at acrucial moment.

If some players are described as clutch because they make the right decision in crucial moments, then Will Smith is un-clutch. He is a disaster who makes the wrong decisions and makes losing contributions, not winning.

All the small things... that's how I see him anyway. Not a first grader, and not worth even a minimum deal, might as well spend it on a young prospect instead
I think he played well down the back end of this season.

What would you say are all his clangers in the last 4 games we've played? Worse than other merkins clangers?

the phantom menace

First Grade
“The Parramatta Eels have bid farewell to four players following the conclusion of the 2021 NRL season.

Blake Ferguson, Joey Lussick, Michael Oldfield and Sam Hughes will depart the Eels to pursue other opportunities.”
Can't really argue with any of those decisions, sounds like they all had/have something else up their sleeves.