What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The off contract thread 2023

Gazzamatta

Coach
I wonder if the announcement means Makatoa and Rodwell will be here next year.
El-Zakem (sp) was a tough nut in the 2s as well. Apparently he didnt go to Qld. I hope he hangs around
Schneider would be an interesting decision as well. Hes probably too old for Flegg now.

Gronk

Staff member
El-Zakem (sp) was a tough nut in the 2s as well. Apparently he didnt go to Qld. I hope he hangs around
Schneider would be an interesting decision as well. Hes probably too old for Flegg now.
EZ and Schneider are worthy projects. Poor Kyle is one of those players who's development has been marred by the pandemic. Get him in a good paddock in the off season and play him in reggies. 👍

Gazzamatta

Coach
EZ and Schneider are worthy projects. Poor Kyle is one of those players who's development has been marred by the pandemic. Get him in a good paddock in the off season and play him in reggies. 👍
Yeah. I remain hopeful. Many good judges rated him. I recall he was referred to as Cameron Smith like early in his career. Freddy had him in the Emerging Blues ffs. Goalkicker to boot and was generally Captain in his junior years. They played him a bit in the halves last season hopefully to broaden his skills as a 9. I really hope they persevere with him. He and Roach in the 2s might be a good combination if Roach can stay healthy. We then just need a reliable short term 9 to take pressure off Rheed untill KS and NR are ready. Rein or Levi or Havilli or one similar. Someone BA isnt afraid of using.
Id be hugely surprised if 9 wasnt a hot topic in the eoy review. We would be playing on Saturday if "circumstances" surrounding that position had not occurred. After such a close loss game reviews can target many issues Im sure but nothing more so than our dh service. Rheed or Lussick play we win. Im absolutely convinced.

Gazzamatta

Coach
I reckon EZ would have played the last round V Penrith if hed made the trip. I was really disappointed not to see him play with better players.

84 Baby

Referee
Yeah. I remain hopeful. Many good judges rated him. I recall he was referred to as Cameron Smith like early in his career. Freddy had him in the Emerging Blues ffs. Goalkicker to boot and was generally Captain in his junior years. They played him a bit in the halves last season hopefully to broaden his skills as a 9. I really hope they persevere with him. He and Roach in the 2s might be a good combination if Roach can stay healthy. We then just need a reliable short term 9 to take pressure off Rheed untill KS and NR are ready. Rein or Levi or Havilli or one similar. Someone BA isnt afraid of using.
Id be hugely surprised if 9 wasnt a hot topic in the eoy review. We would be playing on Saturday if "circumstances" surrounding that position had not occurred. After such a close loss game reviews can target many issues Im sure but nothing more so than our Fake service. Rheed or Lussick play we win. Im absolutely convinced.
I think (or hope) that Lussick’s performances in particular when deputising for Rheed demonstrate to BA that a fixation (which he does have) that we need our absolute best 13 on the park isn’t necessary and that players who may give some ho hum performances in reggies can sometimes be more tham serviceable when surrounded by NRL players. The reggies games I saw Lussick, Makatoa and even Penisini were never really standouts but given the chance they’ve proven to be capable of NRL.

BBBBUUUTTTT….. and don’t bite my head off because I know we don’t see eye to eye… would you be happy if for example he had Rheed and Roache in the team, then gave Roache substantial game time in a game we eventually lose and perhaps lack of Rheed time played a significant part in that? I’m sure across a season, BA would love to rest stars and try new combinations but he needs results from round 1. I know @hineyrulz would love a scenario like Souffs where we getting 50ed two weeks a row knowing that we’ve at least rested players and trialled others leading into a prelim

Gazzamatta

Coach
Roach has a fair way to go to prove himself capable at Parra be it physically or skill wise so hes hardly a solution at this stage and Id suggest BA would think likewise and is hopefully looking elsewhere. We are all hopeful however as he is a great size for a 9 and has shown glimpses of the variation our team needs.
Re your hyperthetical, if the back up 9 proves himself then why not. Its about managing workload particularly of those exposed to the most physical of positions to provide the best chance of having our best players ready. I reckon we dropped the ball on that front this year particularly with Rheed but its also fair to say others were managed slightly better than past years. Improved use of his bench will help. Trust.

yy_cheng

Coach
Just on resigning, should we stagger when the contracts expire? Like 3 of our 4 spine players are off contract at the same time

Should we stagger them so it's 2 and 2 ?

So mahoney 3 yr contract and guth a 2 year contract. Not sure about Moses but dyl do not expire the same year as moses

Same with props and 2nd rowers

Avenger

Immortal
BA extended. Do your job, Pou. I want BA included in the list. Looks more professional. Thanks in advance.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I guess now it's November there's a whole new bunch of names for the off contract list:

Off contract (i.e. uncontracted for 2023)
Arthur
Drown (2023 player option)
Dunster
Greig
Gutherson
Hipgrave
Kaufusi
Mahoney
Matterson
Naiduki
Niukore
Opacic
Papali'i
Paulo
Perham
Russell
Stone

I'm fairly certain we won't lose all or even most of them. Stop freaking out.

the phantom menace

First Grade
Would like to see the following re-signed before end of year/start of season:

Mahoney - priority
Papali'i - hopefully
Niukore - unlikely?
Paulo - why not?
Then maybe one of Kaufusi or Matterson...?

And Gutherson just needs to make a call one way or another, so after that we can start planning for who we need/can afford among the rest.

Cloeel

Juniors
Would like to see the following re-signed before end of year/start of season:

Mahoney - priority
Papali'i - hopefully
Niukore - unlikely?
Paulo - why not?
Then maybe one of Kaufusi or Matterson...?

And Gutherson just needs to make a call one way or another, so after that we can start planning for who we need/can afford among the rest.

From what I know (which is very little) Gutho currently has a 2 year 800k PA extension deal sitting on the table waiting to be signed.

Latest posts