What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The official Hegs-watch thread

chaplin

Juniors
You've gotta agree that Hegs is an amazing player.

I am never amazed by a bald crab thats stuck in a turnstyle. However there was a time, with a smart 5/8 that the man in question could play a bit. Maybe with quality 1/2s he will have some 60s style flashback and pull a rabbit out of his arse?

African Monkey

First Grade
I am never amazed by a bald crab thats stuck in a turnstyle. However there was a time, with a smart 5/8 that the man in question could play a bit. Maybe with quality 1/2s he will have some 60s style flashback and pull a rabbit out of his arse?
Hegs should have played five-eigth in 2006 when Sutton was struggling there. And guys, Hegs was gonna start at five-eigth in SoO 1 2004 when Lockyer was injured until Hegs was struck down with injury himself.

chaplin

Juniors
Opposing strategies are being enforced for the first origin game of 2004.
Who will come out on top? Qld have named injured players, while in contrast, a conservative NSW have picked fit (but) inexperienced recruits.

This article from NRL.com looks at the decisions that had to be made.

Queensland rolled the dice on captain Darren Lockyer today while the Blues picked six new faces, including shock selection Ben Hornby, after refusing to gamble on a host of injured players.

Lockyer cracked a rib in the Anzac Day Test but was named in an 18-man squad by Queensland selectors for the first State of Origin game on May 26 at Telstra Stadium.

The Maroons skipper may be given until next Monday to prove his fitness but today admitted he wasn't sure whether he would be ready to play.

"I've done all the training except the contact work and it hasn't bothered me," Lockyer said.

"It might be different when someone actually hits me.

"I just want to get it X-rayed now and see how much it (break) has mended over the past three weeks.

"If the doctor says on Wednesday there's `no chance' then I'll pull the pin.

"But if he says it might be right in another week and I can have it injected and get through the game without doing further damage to it, then I'll press on."

The Maroons also selected four debutants - Panthers duo Rhys Wesser and Ben Ross, Melbourne flyer Billy Slater and halfback Scott Prince.

But that paled in comparison to NSW, which plumped for six rookies including Hornby.

The Dragons custodian was a bolt from the blue, having missed out on the City-Country Origin game last month.

"Ben Hornby at fullback is a player of tremendous potential," NSW coach Phil Gould said.

"We brought him in this year mainly as a development player but when we looked at the balance of the team he's forced his way in the side with some good performances."

The other fresh faces in the squad were St George Illawarra centre Mark Gasnier, Penrith pair Luke Lewis and Trent Waterhouse, Canberra prop Ryan O'Hara and Dragons forward Brent Kite - all making their Origin debuts.

The Blues had little choice.

Selectors opted for a no-risk policy, putting the red pen through 11 players who were either injured or lacking match fitness.

Among them were Test players Joel Clinton and Timana Tahu.

"I'm disappointed, particularly the reason given to us - that he wasn't even considered because of the fact he lacked match fitness," Penrith chief executive Shane Richardson said of Clinton.

"The bottom line is that he played 26 consecutive games for us last year.

"He's played eight out of the nine games for us this year. I don't think he lacks match fitness.

"He's missed one game in two seasons in the front row."

Penrith captain Craig Gower won the hotly-contested halfback role ahead of Brett Kimmorley while hooker Danny Buderus was named captain.

"I will play my own game and everyone will do what they set out to do," Buderus said.

"I don't think I'll have to change much at all. Being in the middle there I am always around the referees."

The Queensland captaincy is likely to fall to either Steve Price or Shane Webcke if Lockyer is ruled out, while Chris Flannery looms as the replacement five-eighth.

The other Maroon under a fitness cloud, Brisbane forward Petero Civoniceva, was named on the bench and is expected to play.

The Blues' inexperienced look and Queensland's injury question marks haven't swayed the bookmakers, with NSW again to start the series as favourite.

"It's not going to change how we think, being favourite or anything else," Gould said.

"I know they like to be underdogs.

"This Origin throws up challenges at you all the time. That's why when you get to the end of it you never want to do it again.

"It's pretty much a young man's game and maybe coaching-wise that's where they have an advantage this year because he is young and enthusiastic and I'm petrified."

African Monkey

First Grade
No there's not unfortunately.

Cowboys recruit Shannon Hegarty sees move north as way of reigniting rep career

By Matt Marshall
January 29, 2009 SHANNON Hegarty, in his quest to reignite his stalled representative career in Townsville, need only look back to the second coming of former Cowboy Matt Sing.
Hegarty hopes to emulate the feats of Sing, his 2003 Queensland and Australian wing partner, by reinventing himself in the far north.

The 29-year-old former Mackay junior, a shock late Cowboys signing from South Sydney last week, has revealed his ambition to return to representative football in 2009 after a six-year gap.

But before Hegarty attempts to mirror Sing's "second wind" at Dairy Farmers Stadium, he will need to find a slot in a Cowboys backline brimming with talent.

"I'm a bit older, a bit wiser," Hegarty said.
"I needed a change of scenery and I thought coming back here would be a good opportunity to reignite my career.

"I think I need my surroundings. I'm not saying Sydney was bad but coming back up here has re-inflamed that 'back to my roots' sort of thing. I think I've got the right people around me. The right atmosphere. This is a very strong club. People are friendly but it's very disciplined in how they train and do business."

Hegarty, who played three Origin matches for the Maroons and three Tests in 2003, has spent the past decade in Sydney.

His representative jerseys came during a six-year stint with the Roosters that was followed by four seasons with the Bunnies.

In addition to returning to his native North Queensland, Hegarty has a long association with Cowboys coach Neil Henry, CEO Peter Parr and football manager Dean Lance - who all nurtured him at the now defunct Western Reds.

"A player of Shannon's experience will help add some more maturity to our squad," Henry said.
"He's a strong carrier of the ball, he's from NQ, it's all positive."

Henry, who coached the Reds' under-19s, was Hegarty's first senior coach.

Hegarty admits his presence and the opportunity to play outside Test half-back Johnathan Thurston were major carrots in the surprise move home.

"It's something very special," he said.

"I've run off the likes of Brad Fittler and Darren Lockyer, and running off their ball-playing is a dream. JT is the best so I'm really excited about that.

"It's very exciting. Looking around the park, there's a lot of speedsters out there and the big boys up front, big front units."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24978478-23214,00.html

He should slot into the centres for next years origin series.

African Monkey

First Grade
Of course Hegs will get into the side ahead of those guys. LOL @ Tonga getting mentioned although I do expect a big year from him with Hegs teaching him and showing him the ropes.

I wouldnt be suprised if Salior gets a run, hes under his old coach and could be interesting if he gets fit and doesnt have any injuries, id say 18th man but for him