What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Olympics Thread

Tony Bongo

Bench
Opening ceremony was quality. Really enjoyed it - more than ours I reckon?

It was awesome and every time they light the flame at any Olympics I am touched by it. It represents something good about humanity to me that goes beyond it being just sport.
The South African sprinter Oscar Pistorious is the cousin of a friend of mine and he will become the first person to ever race with no legs. I can't wait to see how he goes. She told me how when he was young he used to go carting down the street and use his artificial legs as brakes and his mum would go mad on him for wearing them out. :lol:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I took archery lessons once and was given an eye patch for my right eye and told to squint with the left because apparently it narrows down your focal point and achieve better accuracy so perhaps poor eyesight benefitted him in this case. Well done to him regardless, living a life like that cannot be easy so its great to see someone get such a rewarding achievement.
I wonder how archery is on your knees???

bartman

Immortal
I liked the way the Poms even had a good laugh at themselves. Rowan Atkinson was hilarious. How about Queenie parachuting into the stadium. Didn't think she had it in her.
Yeah lots of good humour, good music, good visual stuff plus some stuff that would have translated across cultures (Mr Bean) - something for everyone and a job well done.
It was awesome and every time they light the flame at any Olympics I am touched by it. It represents something good about humanity to me that goes beyond it being just sport.
The South African sprinter Oscar Pistorious is the cousin of a friend of mine and he will become the first person to ever race with no legs. I can't wait to see how he goes. She told me how when he was young he used to go carting down the street and use his artificial legs as brakes and his mum would go mad on him for wearing them out. :lol:
Yeah, it will be interesting to see how that Oscar goes. Great story, and Olympics give you these stories about athletes in countries much less lucky than ours facing and conquering different adversities, or taking on the challenges in their personal lives like the archer and Oscar. Great stuff.

eels81236

Bench

Make him run without artificial legs. The archer seemed to do OK without eyes.

strider

Post Whore
I liked the way the Poms even had a good laugh at themselves. Rowan Atkinson was hilarious. How about Queenie parachuting into the stadium. Didn't think she had it in her.

Suity

she f'n missed the stadium - and i mean its a pretty big target ffs .... pffft what's she good for anymore :roll:

lingard

Coach
I took archery lessons once and was given an eye patch for my right eye and told to squint with the left because apparently it narrows down your focal point and achieve better accuracy so perhaps poor eyesight benefitted him in this case. Well done to him regardless, living a life like that cannot be easy so its great to see someone get such a rewarding achievement.

And you fell for that old trick?

mickdo

Coach
Well done to the girls in the pool.

I take back what I said earlier in another thread about LU Parra fans being bigger whingers than Poms. Mark Cavendish has reclaimed their whinging title with his dummy spit after losing the cycling road race.

mickdo

Coach
Brit cyclist, and hot favourite to win the road race. He didn't, and blamed Australia for negative tactics like an utter sook.

mickdo

Coach
1 out of 4 of team GB were actually poms

Actually there were 5 in Team GB. One born in Kenya, one Belgium, one The Isle of Man, one Malta, one Pom. One is all it takes for a whinge though.

Last edited:

barney gumble

Juniors
Fox's coverage is awesome, so much to choose from. Absolutely love the weightlifting. Just saw a 55kg Korean lift 168kg in the clean and jerk. Anyone who's done any regular gym work knows that is amazing.

bartman

Immortal
It feels a bit samey only watching the 9/Gem feed.... Would be good to have more of a variety to choose from - will have to visit rellies with Foxtel next weekend and try it out!

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
So who reckons the Chinese swimmers are on drugs?

One gold in Beijing on their home turf, they've already beaten that here. The last time they were this good was when they had a systematic doping system going on and the girls looked like men.

When I saw the girls come out for the 100m butterfly, and the Chinese girl was in a wide lane, I thought "I bet she medals".
Sure enough.

It just doesn't smell right.

hybrideel

Bench
I think a lot of other countries are starting to take swimming seriously, getting Aussie coaches or going to Australia or America to train. I think we have set too high an expectation on our swimmers where you compare us population wise with china and America

Latest posts