What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Paleo Diet appreciation thread

Misanthrope

Staff member
eating paleo doesn't mean you have to give up antibiotics bro

I just don't see why we're going to glorify something that worked so poorly that we had to invent civilization to escape from it.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Ketogenic diet is all about achieving ketosis, which is basically when your body is forced to create extra ketone bodies because they are the only fuel apart from glucose which the brain and central nervous system can use. Your brain thinks it's starving and goes into a starvation mode Keto diet is high fat, low carb or no carb, moderate protein. With Paleo you're allowed carbs from veggies and fruits, which will give you more than enough glucose to avoid a state of ketosis.

Ketosis might sound great to those wanting to lose fat, but it's not that simple, this system is designed to keep you alive during starvation (as there is a lot more fat stored in the body than glucose) your body is not designed to be in this state forever.

Honestly unless you plan on sticking to a keto diet for the rest of your life I don't recommend it , actually I don't recommend it because you shouldn't stick to a keto diet for the rest of your life unless you're prone to lots of seizures.

You will lose weight and you will lose weight quickly, but your chances of keeping it off are low.

BDR

First Grade
I just don't see why we're going to glorify something that worked so poorly that we had to invent civilization to escape from it.

Do you think we invented civilisation to escape the horror of meat and vegetables?

BDR

First Grade
Ah ok. I'm feeling the keto diet, read a bunch on r/keto, and the losses of some of the people are incredible. Me, and my brother and sister are going on it together. I'm the lightest of us at 140kg, so trying this out. The big winner for this is my bro and sis have insulin problems, and everywhere i've read people's insulin levels have dropped with a severely carb restricted diet.

Paleo does seem to be the go when we get to a weight somewhere around "not gonna die before 30" levels.

Keto is ok for short bursts (I know some bodybuilders who enter ketosis to shave off body fat before competing) but honestly man it's horrible. Brain fog, shit breath, no energy. I lost a LOT of weight through eating Paleo, the torment of keto isn't worth it IMO.

afinalsin666

First Grade
Yeah, i know what you mean with the keeping it off. But the main thing i've noticed from everyone doing it, is the lack of hunger, especially from those with increased insulin levels. If we can get my bro and sis to drop their insulin levels so there isn't that constant hunger, i'm not sure why we'd go off it. We're going to do this right though, with bloodworks before we start, and on the month every month while we are on it, in case it f**ks with us.

But the way i look at it, even if the keto diet is extremely drastic, something extremely drastic has to be done for us. The health benefits from such weightloss outweigh the possible drawbacks of being in constant ketosis.

BDR

First Grade
You'll get there man, weight loss is a tough road especially if you don't have that inbuilt knowledge in terms of how to cook and portion your own meals. That was the biggest hurdle for me, just understanding what goes into what dish and what you can cook that is both healthy and delicious.

A spreadsheet helps if you're counting calories btw. Throw in all your regularly eaten foods and food ingredients into excel so you can easily track what is going into your body

afinalsin666

First Grade
Yeah, i use the myfitnesspal app to track food. I've lost 26 kilo since october just eating normal, usual drinks and curry and whatnot, around 2600ish calories a day, and having two week long sessions of around 400 calorie a day cuts. I'm a heavy smoker, so i just puffed my hunger away haha.

I really need to lose weight quick though, i'm going to the US in August, and need to fit on the rollercoasters haha. So, heavy dieting for me until then.

Thomas

First Grade
That Myfitnesspal app is good. I downloaded it a year or so ago and it was a bit shit. They've improved it somewhat.

I'm on 1790 calories a day (basically aiming to lose 0.5 kg a week). It's been good to see what foods I enjoy that are calorie dense. My only gripe is that is doesn't take into account strength training as exercise.

Haffa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOjVYgYaG8

This video does a good job of explaining the myth that Palaeolithic people ate anything close to the foods people on the paleo diet eat. She does summarise that eating clean healthy food is the best diet.

I used to consider myself Paleo, but found it far too much of a pain to manage. Now I mainly eat what I consider clean foods with the occasional beer every few weeks.

Shorty

Staff member
It's definitely a fad but by far the most educated and safest one IMO.
The diet is based on good fundamentals and I'd put it up there with Vegans and Vegos.
Not for me though, I just eat everything in moderation and not eat shit all the time.

Misanthrope

Staff member
As fads go, it's definitely the least awful.

Yeah, i use the myfitnesspal app to track food. I've lost 26 kilo since october just eating normal, usual drinks and curry and whatnot, around 2600ish calories a day, and having two week long sessions of around 400 calorie a day cuts. I'm a heavy smoker, so i just puffed my hunger away haha.

I use MyFitnessPal as well. I used to use Spark, but it was a bit clunky and didn't have an iOS app that worked very well. I'm not very good at sticking to it with my girlfriend here. She's a terrible influence.

18to87

First Grade
My friend is doing nutrition and dietetics and thinks paleo is a load of shit. It's almost universally been panned by dieticians to boot. It's basically a fad

Trying to have as much of the food you eat being high quality is certainly a reasonable idea, fresh fruit and vege's especially, and avoiding trans fats and porcessed food when possible. But the paleo diet itself is not the way to go

The Paleo diet is all about high quality foods. So not sure what your point is there.

As far RD's putting shit on the Paleo diet. Of course they would. The Dietitians Association of Australia for example is sponsored by Kellogs and Nestle. Endorsing anything about the Paleo diet would be alienating them from their funding source. These sort of influences trickle down in to universities. Totally different topic but good luck finding a dental student that doesn't think that fluoride in our water isn't the greatest thing ever.

General Mills played a crucial role in designing the food pyramid which has done a lot of harm.

We live in a world where Coke puts out ads saying sitting on your ass makes you fat and sick (true) but you should still drink our product anyway.

Whether caveman ate this or that is not the main point of the paleo diet. Eliminate foods for at least 30 days that could cause anyone problems. Then one by one slowly re-introduce to see how you feel on them. Personally going grain free cured lifelong GI issues and I would bet many of the population would benefit from that example alone.

Last edited:

Cliffhanger

Coach
The Paleo diet is all about high quality foods. So not sure what your point is there.

As far RD's putting shit on the Paleo diet. Of course they would. The Dietitians Association of Australia for example is sponsored by Kellogs and Nestle. Endorsing anything about the Paleo diet would be alienating them from their funding source. These sort of influences trickle down in to universities. Totally different topic but good luck finding a dental student that doesn't think that fluoride in our water isn't the greatest thing ever.

General Mills played a crucial role in designing the food pyramid which has done a lot of harm.

We live in a world where Coke puts out ads saying sitting on your ass makes you fat and sick (true) but you should still drink our product anyway.

Whether caveman ate this or that is not the main point of the paleo diet. Eliminate foods for at least 30 days that could cause anyone problems. Then one by one slowly re-introduce to see how you feel on them. Personally going grain free cured lifelong GI issues and I would bet many of the population would benefit from that example alone.
I was discussing this topic with my exercise metabolism and physiology lecture and he said our guidelines may never truly reflect how we should eat.

Companies like gatorade fund most hydration studies. The truth is the benefits of drinking when you're not thirsty are a myth especially if you're about to participate in physical activity.

Misanthrope

Staff member
The irony of it is that people on Paleo diets aren't actually eating like paleolithic people probably did. Needs a new name tbh

Cliffhanger

Coach
If you ate like a caveman, you wouldn't die at 11 as you have shelter, access to healthcare and limited risk of starving to death.

Cliffhanger

Coach
I still have dairy. But chances are our ancestors would have got enough calcium from their meat, poultry and vegetables.

You have to take into account that the food be nowhere near as denatured as we allow to become by feeding animals hormones and over cooking and over processing meat. You should never really cook your meat in temperatures over 200 degrees, even 150 will cause a lot of denaturing of the proteins, especially the enzymes.

Shorty

Staff member

Yes this is very apparent and it actually also applies supposedly to the heart tick of approval and also drugs on the market that pharmacy companies pay to have research done.
Depressing but money talks.