What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Parramatta bucket list

Stagger eel

Staff member
Ok I've moved on from Stuart, I don't blame anyone but him for the decision and happy to see the back of him, he obviously doesn't want be here which is perfectly find by me so Au revoir my friend..

I now want to see what the 5 man board are made off as they face the biggest challenge in the clubs history and fill these massive holes

Head Coach

CEO Football club

CEO leagues club

Major sponsor

3 remaining holes on the board

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we had to add to the list however As holes are filled I will tick them off as tasks completed..

In the meantime I see this as a thread to closely monitor all situations as they come to hand.

I don't see how this gets better under the current governance structure. I have zero affiliation with the leagues/footy 'clubs', simply with the team, so I guess I'm in a different boat to most people here.....but I wish the NRL would take the franchise away from these generally well-meaning buffoons and put the NRL franchise out to tender on a 5-year license. Parra leagues/footy clubs to be given first option to meet or beat the best offer for renewal of license in 5 years time, by which time they'll have time to either fix the way they run things, or piss off. I'm sorry but this will get worse before it gets better (if it gets better).

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I don't see how this gets better under the current governance structure. I have zero affiliation with the leagues/footy 'clubs', simply with the team, so I guess I'm in a different boat to most people here.....but I wish the NRL would take the franchise away from these generally well-meaning buffoons and put the NRL franchise out to tender on a 5-year license. Parra leagues/footy clubs to be given first option to meet or beat the best offer for renewal of license in 5 years time, by which time they'll have time to either fix the way they run things, or piss off. I'm sorry but this will get worse before it gets better (if it gets better).

Agree.

strider

Post Whore

cool Singo can buy it and set about slowly moving it to the central coast

The Colonel

Immortal
The single most sensible post I have seen on this forum in a number of years.

Chipmunk

Coach

Nice post and I agree alot with the sentiment, but Im guessing there is no requirement under an NRL Franchise to where you play and what you call yourself. This scenario would essentially be the Parramatta Eels folding for at least five years. Personally I dont really care if we play in Parramatta, Perth, Pakenham or Paris as I dont live in Sydney and can never get to the games, but Im guessing something akin to the Souths situation when they were kicked out would occur.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Souths weren't kicked out because they were a mess.
Souths were kicked out because they were insolvent, and were the worst of the 15 applicants to take the 14 available NRL spots. (They weren't really kicked out, just weren't given a licence to get in).

Having a board that has divided opinions is fine. It's a matter of having a chairman who doesn't pander to factions, and who can make everyone feel included (ie, give concessions to whomever is in the minority so that they then support the majority). If people won't 'toe the line', then make that clear, and give the constituency the right information to make their decision (ie, they might decide they don't like "the line" and punt the majority).

I'm all for privatisation, however I also see a bunch of other footy clubs who are able to work through divided boardroom opinions.

Souths weren't kicked out because they were a mess.
Souths were kicked out because they were insolvent, and were the worst of the 15 applicants to take the 14 available NRL spots. (They weren't really kicked out, just weren't given a licence to get in).

Having a board that has divided opinions is fine. It's a matter of having a chairman who doesn't pander to factions, and who can make everyone feel included (ie, give concessions to whomever is in the minority so that they then support the majority). If people won't 'toe the line', then make that clear, and give the constituency the right information to make their decision (ie, they might decide they don't like "the line" and punt the majority).

I'm all for privatisation, however I also see a bunch of other footy clubs who are able to work through divided boardroom opinions.

I don't see it so much as a problem of a 'divided boardroom'. This happens frequently in and outside sporting organisations. It is the 'turnstile' boardroom that is the problem, and this derives from the disconnect between the risks taken and who bears those risks and who votes the decision makers in. If you were starting from scratch you wouldn't do things anything like how we do it....but I accept that it is not easy to re-write history.

Nice post and I agree alot with the sentiment, but Im guessing there is no requirement under an NRL Franchise to where you play and what you call yourself. This scenario would essentially be the Parramatta Eels folding for at least five years. Personally I dont really care if we play in Parramatta, Perth, Pakenham or Paris as I dont live in Sydney and can never get to the games, but Im guessing something akin to the Souths situation when they were kicked out would occur.

There's nothing stopping the NRL from imposing whatever conditions they like on a franchise offered for tender. If people don't like the conditions, they don't tender.

Chipmunk

Coach
There's nothing stopping the NRL from imposing whatever conditions they like on a franchise offered for tender. If people don't like the conditions, they don't tender.

I doubt the NRL would impose a condition on any new franchise that said it had to be in Sydney. In fact the only thing I think they would impose was that the franchise could NOT be in Sydney.

I doubt the NRL would impose a condition on any new franchise that said it had to be in Sydney. In fact the only thing I think they would impose was that the franchise could NOT be in Sydney.

I would agree if we were talking about adding a new team. This is not a 'new' franchise though. This is an existing franchise that has not been subjected to market competition for the rights entailed in it. The NRL have a pretty obvious interest in maintaining a strong team and strong presence in the demographic heart of Sydney.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
I don't see it so much as a problem of a 'divided boardroom'. This happens frequently in and outside sporting organisations. It is the 'turnstile' boardroom that is the problem, and this derives from the disconnect between the risks taken and who bears those risks and who votes the decision makers in. If you were starting from scratch you wouldn't do things anything like how we do it....but I accept that it is not easy to re-write history.

i agree with your sentiments, the cancer has to stop. something radical like corporate governance has to be considered to stop the rot.

we need something introduced similar to the new nrl independent commission

Chipmunk

Coach
I would agree if we were talking about adding a new team. This is not a 'new' franchise though. This is an existing franchise that has not been subjected to market competition for the rights entailed in it. The NRL have a pretty obvious interest in maintaining a strong team and strong presence in the demographic heart of Sydney.

The NRL would be pretty hard pressed to take the licence off the Leagues Club in any case. The only way the Leagues Club would be relinquishing the licence would be if they sold it to the highest bidder.

Latest posts