What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Parramatta Eels are odds on favourites for the NRL wooden spoon

hybrideel

Bench
http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/the-parramatta-eels-are-odds-on-favourites-for-the-nrl-wooden-spoon/story-fnbh07p7-1226419818469?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dailytelegraphnrlndm+%28Daily+Telegraph+%7C+NRL%29

HERE it is. The final embarrassment for a proud club and their inspirational leader Nathan Hindmarsh.

A season from hell looks certain to end with the ultimate booby prize as Parramatta will claim their first wooden spoon since 1972.

With a nightmare run home, including games against top-eight sides Manly, Canterbury, Melbourne, Brisbane, Wests Tigers and South Sydney, the Eels are firm favourites with TAB Sportsbet to finish stone motherless last.

Stephen Kearney's team are at $1.45 to finish the season with most losses. Their western neighbours Penrith are at $2.75 and Canberra come in next at $11.

To add injury to this insult, they will face premiers Manly today at Brookvale Oval without their best player Jarryd Hayne, who picked up a foot injury in the State of Origin decider on Wednesday night.

Advertisement

Hayne is expected to miss the next four weeks with ligament damage to his right foot. It spells trouble for the Eels who face Manly (away), Bulldogs (away), Melbourne (home), Broncos (away), Wests Tigers (away), Roosters (home), Titans (away), Rabbitohs (away) and Dragons (home).

The best we can figure is the Eels producing possibly two upset victories against the Roosters and Dragons.

Eels chairman Roy Spagnolo said the next month would define the club's season as he backed Kearney to lead them out of the mess.

"Like all Parramatta fans, I'd be gutted if we got the spoon," Spagnolo said. "Hindy and Luke Burt, they've given everything for this club, so hopefully over this next month we can turn the corner. It's a tough draw but if they aim up then anything's possible."

Eels legend Peter Wynn has backed the club to reverse the rot by following the lead of Hindmarsh, who will play his 322nd game for the club today.

"If the rest of the players come up to Hindy's level and follow his lead, there's no way the Eels can end up with the wooden spoon," Wynn said.

"I reckon they can string a few wins together with enough dedication and willpower to make sure they don't get it."

However, if he does lead the club to their first wooden spoon in 40 years, it would be a sad way for Hindmarsh to bow out.

The Eels' only hope seems to be passing the spoon to the Panthers, but they will receive a boost with Luke Lewis, Michael Jennings and Tim Grant returning from Origin.

Things haven't been much better at Penrith, but there's still a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. You can see where Ivan Cleary is heading and he has a proven track record, piloting the Warriors to last year's grand final.

They also have the luxury of a bye this weekend and winnable games against the Raiders, Titans and Roosters to come.

The prospect of finishing last is guaranteed to continue the pressure on Eels coach Kearney, who has won nine of a possible 39 games in two seasons at the helm. And they only avoided the wooden spoon last season with a Round 26 victory over the Gold Coast.

But this year the forecast appears even more dire with the Eels almost odds-on favourites to run last for the first time since 1972.

After making 11,634 tackles and 4313 hit-ups in his career, no one can question that Hindmarsh deserves a more dignified send off.

strider

Post Whore
its sad - but in all honesty, I can't see us not getting the spoon this year - I am basically resigned to the fact.

if we have a good dig the rest of hte season i will be happy, but we won't win many games

[mandatory "I'm happy to be proven wrong" disclaimer]

eloquentEEL

First Grade
I don't know. The bottom 2-3 teams always seem to go on a bit of a run towards the end of the year. Spoon is still a good chance of ending up with Roosters or Knights.

Up the mighty Eels

#UpAtLeastOneRungOnTheLadderThatIs

Eels Dude

Coach
We've been favourites for the spoon for a while now. Aiming high if the aim for the remainder of the season is to not finish last, unfortunately that's the only realistic aim. I wonder what the club's expectations are for next season.

yy_cheng

Coach
Pricey and the crow go out on the shoulders of their teammates holding the jj giltinan shield, hindy and burt go out holding a wooden spoon

TheParraboy

Staff member
We've been favourites for the spoon for a while now. Aiming high if the aim for the remainder of the season is to not finish last, unfortunately that's the only realistic aim. I wonder what the club's expectations are for next season.

make the top 14?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Pricey and the crow go out on the shoulders of their teammates holding the jj giltinan shield, hindy and burt go out holding a wooden spoon

That was Price and Cronin's fourth premiership in six years too. It was a fitting end to a career filled with success.

How many premierships have Hindy and Burt won?

Some other club is going to really have to lose all of thier remaining games and for us to win a few to avoid it.

It won't happen - truth is we have looked like a wooden spoon side from Round 1. I would have been shattered if we got the spoon last year because we were not that bad. This year we are.

Tooooks

Bench
Another nothing article from the dribblers at the DT. IIRC, wooden spoon betting was suspended a couple of months ago with at least one betting agency.

Bazal

Post Whore
After today, we will get the spoon IMO. We are the worst coached side in the game, we do the little things wrong before we even get to the big things. Kearney seems to have lost the side totally, and without Hayne out there he has nothing to save him on the field.

DeanPay98

Juniors
If Melbourne hadn't cheated we would have won in 2009. At any rate, this is currently a disaster. Its clear that things aren't getting any better. We need to explore our coaching and playing options for next year asap.

Wally21

Bench
We will get the spoon. Not deathriding, but doing the numbers, we would have to get some upsets and Panthers would have to loose almost all their games.

Latest posts