What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Patrick Cummins Thread

Earl

Coach
Australian teenage paceman Pat Cummins has suffered another cruel injury blow, after being ruled out for the rest of the 2012/13 summer with stress fractures in his back.

Cummins suffered a niggling soreness in the final week of Sydney Sixers' Champions League campaign, with scans on Friday revealing the 19-year-old had a bone stress injury of the lower spine.

"Pat Cummins returned from Champions League Twenty20 duties with the Sydney Sixers with some back soreness," Australian team physiotherapist Alex Kountouris said.
"Because of his age and past history we decided to investigate the source of the pain and unfortunately he has an early stage stress fracture of his spine, confirmed by scans today.

"Pat had a spine bone stress injury a few years ago but the current injury is new and in an entirely different part of the spine.

"We expect he will recover fully from this injury and will be closely monitored to determine his return to the playing field, but expect that he will miss most of the 2012-13 domestic cricket season."

It comes as another tough break for Cummins, who missed all of the 2011/12 season with stress fractures in his foot.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...ck/story-fn2mcu3x-1226509174899#ixzz2B1whfrZj

beads6

First Grade
Not ready. Give him a few years. No more international cricket for a while IMO.

Earl

Coach
Yep, should be banned from International cricket. I'd almost ban him from 20/20 cricket as well.

Earl

Coach
If they don't he's just going to come back from this back injury, play IPL cricket next april, some ODIs and T20I and then CL20 and come next october he'll be injured again, having not played any first class cricket for nearly 2 years

Red Bear

Referee
There is a fundamental problem in the approach to managing young bowlers at present whereby they are not getting conditioned to bowl for an extended period of time.

I think part of the problem is T20, whereby they are warming up, bowling an over or two, cool down, warm up, bowl again, cool down etc. It also doesnt encourage any rhythm in their bowling action as they have to vary delivery stride, point of delivery etc all the time.

Bowling restrictions in juniors are clearly flawed, but then they carry that on in senior cricket whereby they seriously lack net bowling, usually it's half paced etc.

Then when they do bowl in a game suddenly it's 25 overs in a day, then they break down - and they wonder why?

Need to concentrate on
- A very strong core, rather than the muscles that just get big, along with a decent amount of endurance fitness.
- Conditioning via a good action, not a mixed one, and a reasonable amount of bowling

Possible just doing a bit of bowling every day would help, rather than 5 days off/two days excessive bowling as tends to occur.

tl;dr get him the f**k out of short form games and get him conditioned to bowl.

Also he's just in the age where he's vulnerable too stress fractures. Playing him in international cricket seems like madness.

beads6

First Grade
Well he would have to be a write off for the trip to England for the Ashes you would think. Can't take him with so little 5 day bowling under his belt surely.

IanG

Coach
I'd hate to think he could be another of those guys who ends up retiring young cause of onging injuries.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Well he would have to be a write off for the trip to England for the Ashes you would think. Can't take him with so little 5 day bowling under his belt surely.

we will be in strife if pattinson and starc also break down

hell, I can almost see johnson, siddle and hilfy leading the ashes attack again over there mid 2013 :crazy:

beads6

First Grade
we will be in strife if pattinson and starc also break down

hell, I can almost see johnson, siddle and hilfy leading the ashes attack again over there mid 2013 :crazy:

Yes if those two go down it will be a blow. We still have plenty of fast bowlers who could go well in test cricket but are untried. I think Starc looks fairly durable but Pattinson isn't. Hopefully Hazelwood has an injury free summer.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Haze went through all this so hopefully he comes out of it for the better